America the Beautiful (Disability) Access pass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

Does anyone here have the America the Beautiful Free ACCESS pass?

I ask because my wife was diagnosed with a degenerative neurological condition a bit over a decade ago, and it is now getting to the point where it routinely effects her mobility, she does not yet use handicap parking or have a handicap parking sticker, though she is thinking about asking her doctor about getting one when she seems him this week, she is not at the point of needing it all the time, but I can tell her ability to walk even moderate distances, as well her balance, etc. has declined significantly in the last year or two. She still works full time, though that too is started to be effected more and more by her condition.

So if you have one, and are only partially disabled, how hard was it to get, the web site shows a list of approved and not approved documentation, with not approved being things such as a handicap placard, notice of SSDI benefits, though SSDI awards letter, and VA letter are listed as approved. Onthe list of documentation it includes a letter from a primary care physician, though it does not provide any details.

thanks

I have one - Disabled American Veteran - not 100% disabled and I have/use no handicap sticker, plates, etc. I provided documentation from the VA on my disability. Was easy.
I also have a nephew that is type one diabetic and he got a pass.
I'm sure your/her doctor should provide the necessay documentation.accesspass.png

Last edited:
I got my Access pass by taking my 10% disability rating letter with me along with my Military Retirement ID to the Manned gate entrance to a COE park on the North Side of Canyon Lake. I think just being disabled is the key that is recognized by a Dr. in writing. This COE park is located near the Joint Base San Antonio camping area, I forget the name though.

This is one of the best perks Ive found being rated VA 10%. That area COE area North of San Antonio is a great area for winter time camping BTW. Guy I got my card from filled out the paperwork right there inside the entrance booth, finished up, I signed a clip board piece of paper, and he handed my card to me thru the car window. I did a U-Turn and left afterwards. Took 5 Minutes. I went like on a Wednesday when the cars were not lined up for entry.

Download the 45 page access list from link below. Find one in Louisana near your house and take your Dr Letter with you. If they allow access with the card you should be able to get one. Call and make sure they are savvy or not out of the cards, overwhelmed by COVID, or something crazy before you burn your gas going out there.

I found that the guy giving me the card at the entrance booth, Brandon, did not know much about the specifics about the program.

Last edited:
It was easy for me to get 20 years ago. I applied at Grand Teton NP visitors center and the guy barely even looked at my doctors letter. It took less than 5 minutes and it is free.

we allready had the 62+ pass when my Wife was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease. Very minor mobility issues until about 2years ago then it all went south.
Get the handicap plates for your primary vehicle & I also have the hanging card for my truck. Time to start looking at some type of mobility chair or scooter. She will be able to do so much without the fear of falling.

I’ve had the Access pass for 40+ years. All I had to do was sign an affidavit verifying that I was disabled. Mike got one about 30 years ago the same way. He was 10% SC VA but didn’t need proof of that, just signed the affidavit.

Back
Top Bottom