An American Observation (satire)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Notice this is meant as no offense to the Canadians.

Things I've noticed as an American visiting Canada:  (tongue in cheek)

1.  Only non-Canadian tourists keep at the designated speed limits
2.  Signs notifying the turns in the road appear only at the turning point on the road..not before.
3.  selling gas/diesel in "liters" makes you think it's cheaper than US fuel.
4.  a row of trees is left right along side the road in an area that has been clear-cut
5.  Tree hugging Americans should visit Canada and see all the trees
6.  beer/wine is sold only in specialized stores to squelch competition
7.  The FINAL and most important thing I've noticed is the posting of "Moose" signs.  These signs appear all along the highways and are used as an advertising method to get you to think there are moose in Canada....we are convinced there are NO moose in Canada.  We have driven the little tow car hundreds of miles and hundreds of $$ in fuel through the backcountry looking for Moose.  None have been found.

More observations as we continue West.
Marsha~

Marsha

Have to agree with you on everything except the last one.  We have seen many moose in western Canada :)  In fact, two days ago one ran right across the road in front of us and that was a bit to close for me (no picture because they are fast).  Besides that one Frank and Ned saw at least two more that day.  When we arrived in Canada in June we saw lots of wild life near or on the road but very little in Alaska except in Denali NP :(  You just have to come further west.

He was heading your way the last time we saw him :)

MarshaLassen/CA said:
Notice this is meant as no offense to the Canadians.

7.  The FINAL and most important thing I've noticed is the posting of "Moose" signs.  These signs appear all along the highways and are used as an advertising method to get you to think there are moose in Canada....we are convinced there are NO moose in Canada.  We have driven the little tow car hundreds of miles and hundreds of $$ in fuel through the backcountry looking for Moose.  None have been found.

Gee Marsha.. As a member of the Loyal Order of the Moose... I see them all over

MarshaLassen/CA said:
7.? The FINAL and most important thing I've noticed is the posting of "Moose" signs.? These signs appear all along the highways and are used as an advertising method to get you to think there are moose in Canada....we are convinced there are NO moose in Canada.?

Marsha,
We saw moose in Canada but like you the MOOSE CROSSING signs here in Alaska have only frustrated us as there have not been any moose.  Terry thinks the Alaskan subsistence hunters have gotten them all. :)

Betty

Betty Brewer said:
Marsha,
We saw moose in Canada but like you the MOOSE CROSSING signs here in Alaska have only frustrated us as there have not been any moose.? Terry thinks the Alaskan subsistence hunters have gotten them all. :)

Betty

Why Betty, where were you hiding?  Ancharage is full of the them as are the outskirts of Fairbanks.  They wander around like whitetailed deer in the eastern states.  Like most huntable critters, they tend to migrate into areas where they are not hunted.  And like all deer, if not hunted, they thrive in close association with man in areas where they are not fenced off from browse.   

In 2003, I saw one big bull in Anchorage on the main drag just south of downtown and in Fairbanks on Cushman street right at the freeway off ramps.

BTW you do not want to hit a moose crossing the road, those are half ton animals. 

We were in Fairbanks for over a week & NO moose were spotted....Saw moose & bears almost every day in Canada.

Hey what can I say.  That's kinda like spending a week in Colorado and not seeing a single mountain.    My self I spent 3 years in the town in the high school and in college.  Back in the dark ages.    The outer suburbs, including  quarters on what is now Ft. Wainwright, then Ladd AFB, had a bears raiding garbage cans problem.

Just as a contrast... on our Canada/Alaska tour we saw some moose & elk in BC (mostly along the Cassiar Hwy) and a lot of them in Alberta (Jasper & Banff areas). In Alaska we saw a lot of moose around Soldotna, Kenai, and Ninilchik. Some reindeer too at Kenai.

Like Carl said, we saw moose within the city limits of both Anchorage and Fairbanks and near Soldotna and Kenai.?
We also saw sunshine in Valdez which I hear was elusive in the recent past for some folks.

? lou

Ever drive I-40 near Flagstaff? Lots of signs about Elk and in all the times I've driven that road, at all times of day and night, all times of year, I've never seen a single Elk. So I guess Elk can't read either.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom