Andersen Weight Distributing Hitch Question/Opinion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVcyclist

I am considering an Andersen weight distributing hitch to use with a new travel trailer that I am purchasing. It looks like a simple hitch and is much lighter than the hitch I am currently using. If you have experience with the Andersen WDH, I would greatly appreciate your opinion. Do you recommend the hitch? Anyone use an alternative hitch that you would highly recommend?

The manufacturer's info on the trailer that I will be pulling is:
  • Length = 25 feet 10 inches
  • GVRW = 6,875
  • Hitch weight = 714
I will be pulling the trailer with a Ram 1500, diesel.

I will be a few weeks before I have both the trailer and the truck and I am want to purchase the hitch in advance.

Thank!
Delbert

There are quite a few threads on the AUH to make your head explode, worth doing a search to get a wide range of information and opinions. To answer your question directly, we have the AUH and have been very happy with it and highly recommend it.

There are quite a few threads on the AUH to make your head explode, worth doing a search to get a wide range of information and opinions. To answer your question directly, we have the AUH and have been very happy with it and highly recommend it.
Thank you. When I search for info on the Andersen weight distributing hitch for travel trailers, I only see once discussion about a problem encountered with the hitch. There are several discussions about about the Andersen hitch for fifth wheels, but not the travel trailer hitch. If I am missing something, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks again,
Delbert

When I search for info on the Andersen weight distributing hitch for travel trailers, I only see once discussion about a problem encountered with the hitch. There are several discussions about about the Andersen hitch for fifth wheels, but not the travel trailer hitch. If I am missing something, please point me in the right direction.
Here are a few sources:

If the gvwr is 6875lbs x 12.5% = 860lbs payload on a ram 1500 is not very high - like 1100lbs i think. What does the payload decal say your cargo payload is?

We tow with an Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch and we love it. We don't have experience using any other WDHs, but have been very happy with our decision to go with the Anderson hitch. We are towing a small travel trailer with a Suburban, and this will be our fourth season with this setup.

We tow with an Anderson Weight Distribution Hitch and we love it. We don't have experience using any other WDHs, but have been very happy with our decision to go with the Anderson hitch. We are towing a small travel trailer with a Suburban, and this will be our fourth season with this setup.
Thank you for the information.

I had one on two previous travel trailers, and think that it worked well for weight distribution and sway control. That being said, I think you are at the top weight limit for using this hitch (regardless of what the manufacturer says). The main problem I encountered is that you have to re-hitch at the same angle that you unhitched or the chains will not be equal. The work around is to hitch up without tensioning the chains, then drive to a straight spot to get everything lined up then tension the chains.

Thank you. Based on my research, my primary concern is whether it will provide sufficient weight distribution for my trailer. I am trying to decide between this and the Camco Recurve R6. I like the lighter weight of the Andersen, but I am more confident that the Recurve will do the job.

If the gvwr is 6875lbs x 12.5% = 860lbs payload on a ram 1500 is not very high - like 1100lbs i think. What does the payload decal say your cargo payload is?
I do not have the truck yet, so I cannot look at the decal. According to the Ram website, the payload is 1,770.

I do not have the truck yet, so I cannot look at the decal. According to the Ram website, the payload is 1,770.
That is for a rat bone stock non diesel no option truck. As an example Every Ram 1500 quad cab 5.5 box truck starts at 2040 (ram website 2020 Ram 1500 Towing Capacity Guide )then you start to subract add a couple doors for crew cab minus x add power windows minus x and y minus x etc etc i would suggest looking at a couple of models on person and check the driversside doors panel, look like this

Attachments

• 20210307_112007.jpg
    20210307_112007.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 4
Steve, I appreciate that you mentioned the payload. I was taking the payload stated on the website at face value and assumed that I was in good shape with that truck. After reading about actual experiences with payload on a Ram truck forum, now I am not so sure. I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow and get this sorted out.
Thank you.

I have a Grey Wolf 23MK trailer (hitch weight right at 700 pounds, weighed) that has specs pretty close to yours and have an Andersen hitch. Truck is a 1500 Ram with 1602 payload, per sticker. Weight distribution is fine as I can get the front fenders back to no load height, sway control is excellent, the truck/trailer combo doesn't "porpoise" on our fine roads like it did with my old "weight bar" hitch. I'm very happy with the hitch. It's not a problem to adjust the chains back if I have to loosen them up to unhitch/hitch. Just a few cranks with a 1/2" ratchet and the included socket gets it done. I don't think I'd ever go back to a different hitch.

I have a Grey Wolf 23MK trailer (hitch weight right at 700 pounds, weighed) that has specs pretty close to yours and have an Andersen hitch. Truck is a 1500 Ram with 1602 payload, per sticker. Weight distribution is fine as I can get the front fenders back to no load height, sway control is excellent, the truck/trailer combo doesn't "porpoise" on our fine roads like it did with my old "weight bar" hitch. I'm very happy with the hitch. It's not a problem to adjust the chains back if I have to loosen them up to unhitch/hitch. Just a few cranks with a 1/2" ratchet and the included socket gets it done. I don't think I'd ever go back to a different hitch.
Thank you, that is very good info.

Steve, I appreciate that you mentioned the payload. I was taking the payload stated on the website at face value and assumed that I was in good shape with that truck. After reading about actual experiences with payload on a Ram truck forum, now I am not so sure. I am going to go to the dealer tomorrow and get this sorted out.
Thank you.
I went to the dealer this morning discussed my concerns. The sales manager went online and looked up a truck that is on the lot (including trim line, crew cab, 4x4, etc.) and found the payload of 1,760. We then went to the truck and the sticker showed a payload of 1,459. He was shocked (I believe genuinely shocked). He immediately agreed to return my deposit for the truck that I ordered.

Thanks again for mentioning the payload on the Ram trucks.

Sorry, late to the party. I use the Anderson, WDH and am very happy with it's performance and ease of use. I can back up without disconnecting, which is very nice. I can carry the Anderson from my garage to the truck without a cart, needed previously, with the heavy bar type WDH. Anderson lists the weight limits of their units so you can decide if the trailer is suitable for the hitch. I tow a Retro 179 SE, no problem. I agree with previous poster regarding readjustment of chain length after a short drive on level ground when trailer and TV are lined up. I am known to pull off the hwy to readjust if there is more sway. Very easy to tighten a turn or two if needed.

Mark

Thank you for the response. After reading several posts of various forums, I was concerned about the combination of the weight of my trailer and the size of my truck. After a lot of thought, I decided to pass on the Andersen hitch and opted for the Camco Recurve R6. I have not yet towed enough to know whether that was a good decision.

I used a Harbor Freight 10,000 lb WDS for years towing a similar travel trailer. Paid around $200. I had the chain attachment brackets welded to the trailer frame rather than trust the bolt method that many manufacturers use.

Never had any trouble, no failures, no issues and saved a few hundred $$$ over any other make/model.

Back
Top Bottom