Android User Guide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ernie n Tara

Hi,
I'm  a new Android (Galaxy Note 10.1) user w/o much documentation. I'm looking for a guide on the basics. Things like holding an address selected to pull up options like "Open in a new tab" which I discovered by accident.
Suggestions?
Tx
Ernie

Google has an Android Users Guide for Android 3.1 - see http://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/vodafone/about/what/devices/manuals/smart_tab/smart_tab_android_users_guide.pdf

Other versions are available as well - just Google 'android user guide'

Problem is, there are variations done by each device manufacturer, plus various apps may do things a bit differently. You asked a browser question, but didn't mention if you are using the default Android browser, or Firefox or Chrome or Opera Mini or Dolphin or...

All the Android tablets I've used came with a manual on the tablet itself that covered the basic operations.  But if yours didn't then Gary's search suggestion should turn some up.  Of course, any apps that you add beyond the preinstalled ones will not be covered in a general guide.  You'll have to research those individually, but most common operations are the same across apps.

Ernie n Tara said:
I'm  a new Android (Galaxy Note 10.1) user w/o much documentation. I'm looking for a guide on the basics. Things like holding an address selected to pull up options like "Open in a new tab" which I discovered by accident.

There are a few books... "Android for Dummies" but the implementation on your device will probably be different and the options for customization are practically infinite so it's a big challenge to write a manual that is specific to your situation.  OTOH, there are millions of users... and many, many forums (kinda like this one) that offer insights.  Usually there is a forum for each device, at least for each family of devices.... like Samsung, or HTC, or Nexus or tablets or by Android release... especially the latest one.

I, too, wish there would be a "manual"... at least for the basics but I've not found one.  Maybe other people have found a way to learn android beside the old standby method of "trial and error"...??????

taoshum said:
I, too, wish there would be a "manual"... at least for the basics but I've not found one.  Maybe other people have found a way to learn android beside the old standby method of "trial and error"...??????
My Galaxy Exhibit came with an owners manual. I reread it about 4 times until it all sunk in. I would read the manual, use the phone for a few days and then repeat until I got it. I do the same thing with new cameras.

In addition you can go to the manufacturer's web site (See note first) and naviate the support menus to a PDF of the detailed owner's manual for that device.

BEFORE you do that, If you no longer have the box, pull the battery, and write down EVERYTHING on the label (Make, Model, sub model, Serial IMEI number, and so on) or better yet take a high res photo of said label.

My Samsung Galixy S-III for example, is really a T-999, this info is on both the box and the label.  but it's not on the face.

SeilerBird said:
My Galaxy Exhibit came with an owners manual. I reread it about 4 times until it all sunk in. I would read the manual, use the phone for a few days and then repeat until I got it. I do the same thing with new cameras.

BTDT... here's an example though... "How to network an Android Tablet on the local network at home?"  There's nothing in the manual about that.  here's another... "How do I backup the system and files on the Android Tablet"  There's nothing in the manual about that either. There's a short paragraph on App Backup but that's it.  In fact when I called Tech Support, they couldn't help either.  Of course, it could be me.

taoshum said:
BTDT... here's an example though... "How to network an Android Tablet on the local network at home?"  There's nothing in the manual about that.  here's another... "How do I backup the system and files on the Android Tablet"  There's nothing in the manual about that either. There's a short paragraph on App Backup but that's it.  In fact when I called Tech Support, they couldn't help either.  Of course, it could be me.
The OP said they wanted info on the basic things. Your questions are not exactly basic. Owners manuals can't cover everything. For the more exotic questions you should visit an Android forum.

Thanks for the responses. As noted, my question was directed at basic conventions, not the esoteric stuff (that's usually well covered). It's the basics that " everyone knows" that get assumed.
Thanks,
Ernie

What version are you using Tara?  AT&T's site currently has lot's of interactive and video for version 3-something...  I have the latest version however the site helped us with basic maneuvering.

EIT,, I will suggest one application (Widget really) and that is "Application Monitor", this you put on one of your "Home" pages and it shows a number, 0,1,2,3 (number of running apps) you tap it and it opens the task manager to the "Active Apps" tab. This is a very handy widget.

I have a whole bunch of other stuff on here too.. Even one application you need a license to use (I'm licensed) believe it or not. (Echolink needs a ham radio license).

The other application I highly recommend is Kindle.

Beyond that,  It's up to you but some of the ones I have are  Water Level (This is the square or round bubble level, with some advanced features) Compass, barameter GPS apps. (A few different ones, they all give different data) one (Yes ONE) game  LIVE-365 (Streaming audio or Internet Radio) some good music there, and a TV app or 2..  he-wire is a SMS app that lets me do SMS with my daughter, DIFFERENT number than the phone itself so I don't get bothered by spam.

Ernie:

I have owned an Android phone since shortly after Verizon introduced theirs and I still run across neat little shortcuts that I have not heard about.

With a new Ice Cream Sandwich Droid it happens almost every day. ::)

Now the bad news.. Samsung just released an Update.. Completly changes many of the "Native" things.. Reminds me a lot of Microwoft and Windows upgrades

That said, you should not have any problems figuring out whtat the )(@)#*$)@# They did.

I just got upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich on my phone and 2 tablets and have to re-learn most of what I had learned in the past 6 months.  I think it is better but it is painful.  :)

If you like Ice Cream Sandwich, you'll love Jelly Bean :)  If your devices get it, of course.

Just got a Droid Razr with Ice cream sandwich, sales said it would upgrade to jelly bean when it's released. Hope I don't have to relearn again, I still haven't conquered ICS.

JB is very similar to ICS in operation, so the learning curve isn't nearly as steep as the one from Ginger Bread to ICS.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom