Andsel Adams' Yosemite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Dick

Moderator Emeritus
Yesterday we drove to Yosemite since we were so close. The drive up 120 into the park was phenominal! It's a twisting road that has awesome views of the mountains and valleys. I would not suggest taking a large RV up that road as there are some very tight turns and quite a grade.  The biggest problem in a car is for drivers to keep their eyes on the road. We were told at a lunch stop that the falls were flowing and the flowers were gorgeous. Well, the falls were flowing but we didn't see any flowers in the park. That was OK as the scenery was breathtaking. I've attached some pictures I took but have changed them to B&W. Ansel Adams I'm not but he had the right idea. ;D

Attachments

• Bridal Veil Falls (Medium).jpg
    Bridal Veil Falls (Medium).jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 70
  • El Capitan (Medium).jpg
    El Capitan (Medium).jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Half Dome (Medium).jpg
    Half Dome (Medium).jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Jim.  We just got to go there.  Altough I have been there several times in the past Sam has never been.  Somewhere in storage maybe I have a collection of B&W photos I took there in the early 60/s.  Have some color shots too.  Wasn't as easy to develope photos back then.

Nice photos, glad you made it to Yosemite.  Mary and I enjoyed meeting you and touring your coach.  Looking forward to seeing you again at one of the forum  outings.

Great shots Jim.  Is that snow that I see in the last pic :mad: :mad:

Fantastic Jim!!!

As you have demonstrated, there are features in B&W pictures that can make them more beautiful than their color counterparts.  As Ansel would attest to, you have succeeded to make your picture with tones from pure white highlights to pure black shadows plus you were able to achieve detail in both shadow and highlight.

Compliments on your photographic skill and artistry.

Ron said:
Thanks Jim.  We just got to go there.  Altough I have been there several times in the past Sam has never been.  Somewhere in storage maybe I have a collection of B&W photos I took there in the early 60/s.  Have some color shots too.  Wasn't as easy to develope photos back then.
\

I'll bet you have some great shots. Might be the time to get them out of mothballs.

caltex said:
Nice photos, glad you made it to Yosemite.  Mary and I enjoyed meeting you and touring your coach.  Looking forward to seeing you again at one of the forum  outings.

Thanks, Robert. It was really nice to meet you and Mary. Hope to see you again at a forum function, or not.(G) I'm sure we would have enjoyed your suggestion of Highway 49 but Yosemiite was just too much of a draw. We will do Hwy 49 in the future.

kkolbus said:
Excellent shots, Jim! Ansel would have been proud, and he didn't have to put up with contrails either.

I was thinking about removing the contrails but just didn't do it.(G) Sure wish I could have seen Yosemite when he did!!

Lorna said:
Great shots Jim.  Is that snow that I see in the last pic :mad: :mad:

Yes, it's snow! Actually we passed through the snow belt with banks about 8' high. The actual snow on the ground was only a couple of feet at the most.

Jim Dick said:
kkolbus said:
Excellent shots, Jim! Ansel would have been proud, and he didn't have to put up with contrails either.
I was thinking about removing the contrails but just didn't do it.(G) Sure wish I could have seen Yosemite when he did!!

I think the contrails added to the photo.  Shows the period in which it was taken.

Steve said:
Fantastic Jim!!!

As you have demonstrated, there are features in B&W pictures that can make them more beautiful than their color counterparts.  As Ansel would attest to, you have succeeded to make your picture with tones from pure white highlights to pure black shadows plus you were able to achieve detail in both shadow and highlight.

Compliments on your photographic skill and artistry.

Steve,

I take that as a great complement!!! I find it amazing when I can get a really great photo. Photography is a truly rewarding field and I enjoy it very much.

Ron said:
Jim Dick said:
kkolbus said:

I think the contrails added to the photo.  Shows the period in which it was taken.

Ron,

It does that!(G)

Back
Top Bottom