Another blowout question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flagstaff

I had a blowout last week and when I purchased a new tire it was a d rated tire.  The other tires on the trailer are rated c.    Can I run with a c and a d tire on the same axle, or do I need to purchase another d?.

I've used  a mix load ranges on trailers and or their axles before with no adverse issues. However they all had the same tread pattern/pressures/tire diameters on the same axle for equal braking performance especially on wet pavement. 
I would try it on a trip and if the tire causes braking issues then make a change.

Thanks, I have about a 500 mile round trip planned in a couple of weeks. I'll not do anything til then. Tires seem to be pretty much the same.

As long as the size is the same it shouldn't be an issue.  I'd advise changing them all over to the higher load range when it's time to change tires, it's pretty hard to have too much tire on these things.

Remember 99% of the time blow out are caused by 3 common things.

1. Driving to fast. ST tires are only rated for 65 MPH so keep your speed down to 55-60 MPH and blow out won't happen.
2. Low inflation pressure / Loss of air. Picked up road debris or didn't check your tire pressures.
3. Overloading. Some people tend to pack rat too much along and possibly over load the tires.

A for mixing load ranges its fine but I would upgrade the rest soon.

I agree with Mopar1973man.

I try to hold speed to between 60 and 65.    Tire pressure are checked before I leave home, and I am confident that the trailer is not  overloaded.  Starting to think I need to buy solid rubber tires!  ;)

Thanks for the replies.

Keep speeds lower than 65 MPH. More like 55-60 MPH.

Kind of like saying a engine has a redline of 4,000 on the tach and your going to drive long haul at redline for several hours. do you thing the engine might fail randomly? I would expect it too. So if you smart keep the speeds below the redline specs for the tire.

flagstaff said:
I had a blowout last week and when I purchased a new tire it was a d rated tire.  The other tires on the trailer are rated c.    Can I run with a c and a d tire on the same axle, or do I need to purchase another d?.

Yes you can use LRC and LRD tires on the same axle. You will just have to run the same recommended tire pressures in both tires. However, they do need to be the same design. Both radial or both bias, or ST, or LT etc..

FastEagle

FastEagle,

It seems counter-intuitive to me to run a D rated tire at the lower pressure.  Wouldn't that create undo heat build up in that higher rated tire?

Thanks for jumping in on this subject.

Yes I'ts counter productive, especially with ST tires. But industry standards strongly stress and only recommend using equal tire pressures on all tires on the same axle. The D tire is the same size as the C tire and when aired to the same pressure as the C tire both tires are acting as C tires.

FastEagle

Mopar1973Man said:
Remember 99% of the time blow out are caused by 3 common things.

1. Driving to fast. ST tires are only rated for 65 MPH so keep your speed down to 55-60 MPH and blow out won't happen.
2. Low inflation pressure / Loss of air. Picked up road debris or didn't check your tire pressures.
3. Overloading. Some people tend to pack rat too much along and possibly over load the tires.

A for mixing load ranges its fine but I would upgrade the rest soon.

Your number one is not true or at the very least is stated poorly. I never top 60 mph and had a blowout last summer. While driving at speeds faster than 60 MPH may enhance the possibility of blowouts, they can happen at any speed.

Brother Bear said:
Your number one is not true or at the very least is stated poorly. I never top 60 mph and had a blowout last summer. While driving at speeds faster than 60 MPH may enhance the possibility of blowouts, they can happen at any speed.
Well he did say 99%.  ;D :)

Back
Top Bottom