Another British new guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

olley

Hi names Ian wife's susan we live in ipswich suffolk 70 miles east of london. We bought a 2004 Winnie Brave 30w in june 2005 here in Britain, from an english couple who bought it new in the states, toured with it and then brought it back to sell. the extra room over our old m/home is fantastic, not found to many probs. on sites yet.

Happy new Year

Olley

Hi Ian and welcome. Glad to hear you're enjoying the Brave. Where have you taken it so far? Do you get over to the continent?

Hi tom thanks for the welcome. yes 3 weeks after buying it we drove down to venice fo 2 weeks then across to frejus in the south of france for 2 weeks and then a slow drive up through france home, covered about 2600 miles.

We had planned this trip since January on the assumption that it would be in an RV, so the three main sites knew we were in a 30' the other 3 we just took pot luck with.

On one site I throught 30' was the max. as it was on a very steep hill side, on lookin around their was a 38' Rv at the top, better driver than me ;) it depends what you are used to.

Never had any probs. on the roads, HGV's go everywhere and where they go we can 8)

Would love to visit the states, but wife hates flying, and she's not to keen on boats either  :)

Olley

That sounds like a great trip Ian. Good point re HGV's - where they go so can you. Any photos of your trip or of Euro campgrounds you can share?

This is Marina De venizia just outside Venice, N45,26'9.6"  E12, 26'8.88" its in high res. on google earth. One of the largest campsite's in europe with over 3000 pitches. about 40 odd are suitable for RV's You can get a ferry to venice about a mile down the road.

Olley

Attachments

• Entrance to site.JPG
    Entrance to site.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 23
  • inside camp2.JPG
    inside camp2.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 22
  • pitch view2.JPG
    pitch view2.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 22
Ian & Susan,

Welcome to the RV Forum and congratulations on the Winnie Brave.  I'm sure you will have many enjoyable trips in it.

Thanks to all for the warm welcome, we hope to semi-retire in 2006 or 07 and tour Europe. We already have a 2 week guided tour of morocco this Sept. lined up as a taster.

Here's a few more pict. of our holiday last year, The campsite is Domaine de columbier near Frejus in France, its built around a steep hill, nice site but no facilities for RV's unless you have about 100' of macerator hose :) You probably know that 99% of all European motorhomes have removable cassette toilets, so the emptying point can be hidden up inside the toilet block. as the one on this site was along with the fresh water tap.

Olley

Attachments

• DCAM1744.JPG
    DCAM1744.JPG
    157.4 KB · Views: 17
  • DCAM1748.JPG
    DCAM1748.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DCAM1749.JPG
    DCAM1749.JPG
    141.8 KB · Views: 17
olley said:
You probably know that 99% of all European motorhomes have removable cassette toilets

Ian, I knew that my parents' caravan of the 70's had a removable/chemical toilet (aka a Porta Potty here), but I didn't realize that almost all RVs in Europe were that way today. Is that because of the lack of sewer hookups at European campgrounds?

Hi Tom I believe its to keep the weight down, most hold about 2-3 imp gallons so your looking at 20 to 30lbs in weight. The majority of European?s are still built on 3500kg GVW chassis so payload is minimal to say the least, usually no more than 400kg's and that excludes driver, passenger, LPG and water so a holding tank as fitted to ARV's is not an option. There is also the size, most are no more than 21' in length and 7' wide no room underneath to put the tanks anywhere.

Fuel price's overhere are the overriding concern of most owners, petrol is about 86p per litre and diesel a little more, so the lighter you are the more to the gallon, most will do 23-30mpg. I had our Brave converted to LPG/petrol LPG it's about 38p per litre and gives me about 18mph petrol equivalent.

Its a bit like comparing a gulfstream executive jet with a Cessna.

Olley

Hi Ian. I can understand that those weight ratings and size limitations seriously restrict what can be included.

Also understand the fuel price issue. When they oriignally developed the North Sea oil field Brits were promised low fuel prices for the foreseeable future. But, of course, annual budget day kept adding so much tax to the price of fuel. When my Dad used to tow his caravan around the UK he kept going back and forth between a big enough engine to provide towing power and a small enough engine to be economical for daily driving.

Its not that bad a chore.  Cassette usually lasts a couple of days if you are on a site with no toilet blocks.  We have to sometimes fill water barrels as well if we are not near enough to a water point to fill with a hose.  Camping is certainly different here in europe. Its all part of the fun. 

Tony Hunt said:
Camping is certainly different here in europe. Its all part of the fun.

That's almost what I remember from my days in (not so) sunny South Wales. We gave up camping because we'd get rained out almost every trip. When we rented our first towable caravan and headed to the Gower Peninsula, the brand new caravan sprung a plumbing leak. Ah yes, carying those large water cans.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom