Another cold weather departure question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alpena Jeff

Estimated temp on our day of departure is 6F.
My front tires air pressure registered at 89Lbs this morning. Ambient temp was 7F.
Michelin chart for my weight states 95lbs front axle.
Our route takes us on roads that have a posted speed limit of 55 for the first 2 hours until we reach the interstate.
I know tire pressure will rise as we roll and easily get to required pressure before too long.
Am I safe running at this pressure while waiting for the tire temp and pressure to rise?
My rear tires are fine.
I think I am but would appreciate some piece of mind.
Thanks all.
Jeff

You're fine.  Air pressure in a tire drops about 1 PSI for every 10 degrees F drop in temperature, so tires that were inflated to 95 PSI in 70 degree weather will read about 89 lbs at 7 degrees F even if nothing else changes.

I'd take it easy for the first couple of miles in those temperatures, just to lessen the flexing stresses on the cold rubber and to let the cold, thick grease work it's way around all of the bearings.  But the tire pressure is fine and will go back to normal as soon as the tires warm up.

Why would the rear tires be OK if the front tires are low due to temperature?

Agree with Lou, you're fine. T-minus four and counting  :))

Gizmo100 said:
Why would the rear tires be OK if the front tires are low due to temperature?
I knew someone would ask that.
I keep rear pressure at 95 also even though the chart states 90. Those also registered at 88-89 this morning. I figured those were ok.

Alpena Jeff said:
I knew someone would ask that.
I keep rear pressure at 95 also even though the chart states 90. Those also registered at 88-89 this morning. I figured those were ok.

Thank you Jeff...That makes sense..And I commend you for checking PSI in 7*

Damage to a low pressure tire is heat buildup, so if its heating up, its not low pressure anymore.  The rear under load will probably come up to temp and pressure faster than you think.  The real trouble is tires running under pressure at normal temps.

Back
Top Bottom