Another Good Reason to Have a MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaajoad

Big storm brewing here in the Seattle area. Wind gusts on the coast 80-90 and inland (where we are) up to 60. About every time we get wind (and I can't recall a blow this strong) the power goes out. Once it was out for 4 days. We kind of live in the sticks but not THAT far away from civilization.

So I filled up the propane and the gas tank. I figure I'm good for days if need be. If the power goes out, we're warm and waking up to a hot breakfast and a shower.

I actually thought of this when we decided to get a MH. It's a perfect shelter in a storm.

When we were at Hovenweep, we were at the end of the power line. Anything that took out the lines (weather, car running into a pole, etc) killed our power. With the motorhome, we could always cook, have lights, and watch TV. And it makes a dandy guest house, too.

Stay safe and warm in the coming storm.

We thought of that, too, when we first got the motorhome. Really a great advantage. And, as Wendy says, makes a great guest house, too.

The southern end of that storm is supposedd to come thru here. Usually knocks down trees, etc, killing power. As Chaajoad says, the tanks are full. We'll be fine and can accomodate friends and familly from the area, if needed.

Love the RV!  ;D

Ray D

One of my wife's reasons for wanting a motorhome was to have it available as an evacuation vehicle when a hurricane threatens.  We evacuated twice in 2004.  By the time you decide you really ought to go, it's hard to find a hotel reservation and there's the possibility of being stuck in traffic for a very long time.

Yup, we agree. We weathered a few hurricanes in our Wanderlodge while living in southeast Florida. We had that 15 kw diesel engine generator supply us and our neighbor with electricity while the rest of the area had no power.

Liz

Update -

The storm was massive. Well over 1,000,000 without power with four dead, lots of minor injuries and a bunch of propert damage. I left my work later than I should have last night and caught the last ferry over Puget Sound to Kitsap Peninsula (where we live). A window blew out and a few times I held on to a table when we hit rough water - actually kind of cool but a few folks were freaking out.

Power was out everywhere. Got home and the MH was toasty warm, the family sound asleep. The kicker is the power was back on by about noon today. Last time our power was out - a few years back - it was 4 days with no power AND no water - we're on a well system and the goofball who ran it had no generator for the pump. So while a great deal of the area is suffering, we're fine. Strange but I'll take it. Lows tonight in the 30's.

Some of the guys at work gave me grief when I bought the MH. My guess is they wouldn't mind borrowing it right about now ...

While in ILL, we on several occasions had been able to easily survive, both ic and snow storms that zapped the neighborhood power for a period of time.  Also worked find when we've been in Fl on a feew occassions that the weather turned nastly and severe storms and hurricanes had been predicted.  Needless to say we scampered at 1st alert and was out of range quickly, cuz I don't wait for things to catch up to me.  I've been to Bike races where cold smaps occurred and kids sleeping in tents needed extra shelter and the MH and even the trailer became a useful shelter  for warmth and safety.  Wouldn't be without one.

Hey chaajoad
We are here in Everett. 66 mph winds. I had our MH ready and waiting for the electricity to go out.  Well, everyone around us got hit, lost power and still have no power. We got Blessed. Other then now owning a few extra garbage cans that came from the neighbors, and some roof shingles lying in the front yard, that are not ours, we weathered the storm just fine.  Mother in Law in Edmonds lost her power and she is 86 yrs old so we have her staying with us. But, we were ready for the worst, and God Bless owning a MH that can help you though a time like this. Bud n Ann

Our motorhome is on the other side of the Sound - on property near Pt. Townsend where we are preparing to build a house.  Currently we're living in Mukilteo, just outside of Everett.  Since the motorhome isn't here, my backup power is limited to my little Honda EU1000 generator.

I ran extension cords to let the Honda power the house furnace (gas with electric blower), TV and a couple of lights.  Tested the lashup and it worked fine.

Of course, being prepared is the best way I know to make sure the power stays on.  Our lights flickered a couple of times at the peak of the storm but we never lost power.

We have a greenbelt behind us (a canyon with 100 ft. fir trees) and we got numerous small to medium branches in our yard.  One tree at the end of our fence snapped about 30 ft. from the top and landed in our neighbor's back yard.  Missed everything including the swingset.  Two houses down another 100 ft. tree fell over (root failure) and landed on their roof.  Incredibly there was no damage - the angle of the tree exactly matched the  60 degree pitch of the roof so the weight spread out over a wide area.  They didn't even have any water leaks during last night's downpours.

Cindy's mom lives on Marrowstone Island - they were without power until late today.  She checked our property and said the RV and everything else looks fine.

I went over there on Thursday before the storm hit to make sure everything was battened down.  On the way back the wind picked up and the ferry waited a few minutes for the wind to die down before attempting to dock at Edmonds.  Driving home from the ferry I was stopped by a 40 ft. tree that had fallen across the road.  It took about 20 of us to manhandle it over to the shoulder and reopen the road.  I also passed through many areas without power. This was about the time Seattle was getting drenched just before the football game.

In the winter we have more ice then snow. Takes out the power lines. With 300 gallons of diesel on board and a 12,500 watt generator running we are all set.
Ernie Ekberg driving a Wanderlodge in Texas

When I first met the Admiral and discovered her family lives in Montana, I was fascinated that I met people who could withstand subfreezing temperatures.  At that time they had a family farm up on the hi-line near Chester.  We went out there to have our wedding ceremony.  I remember sitting on the back porch, chatting with my brother in law.  I made the statement, "I guess they do something special out here regarding power lines in the winter.  You guys would be really isolated and in danger with no power in the winter."

"Not a problem", he said, "we all just move out into the 5th wheel and fire up the generator and the propane and eat soup and drink hot coffee and tell fish stories until it all blows over.  I actually look forward to it."

Smoky - Great story and I now understand the appeal. Call me dense but it never dawned on me until AFTER I bought the MH it could come in handy during a power outage. Big difference coming home late Thurs. night between thinking of my wife and kid in a dark, cold house and knowing they're curled up in a warm MH - wife reading the BR, young 'un playing video games ...

But this Big Blow was no joke here. I still don't get how no trees are down, power is up. Baffles me. But I'm thankful for the favor ...

Another good reason to have a MH ... to hide Christmas presents! Just dawned on me tonight! Pretty expensive extra hall closet, but ... perfect!

Also can be a very expensive guest house or dog house    The Later I'm well aware of.  Been there done that LOL  But it beats arguing  lol

Shayne - my wife brought that "dog house" thing up and I don't think she was kidding. I've avoided it so far, but there are worse places to hide out until Hurricane Wife blows over -

Amen to all of the Above.  Just so you don't get the lumps  I have enough for all of us  LOL

Here's a funny one on me: Several years ago, the weather service issued a tornado warning for my area, and one was sighted a few miles away and coming straight for us. I spent the next few minutes searching drawers and cabinets in the MH for candles in case the power went out, when it finally dawned on me that I had both batteries and a generator as backup. Duh! Spent the next few minutes laughing at myself ;D

Karl said:
Here's a funny one on me: Several years ago, the weather service issued a tornado warning for my area, and one was sighted a few miles away and coming straight for us. I spent the next few minutes searching drawers and cabinets in the MH for candles in case the power went out, when it finally dawned on me that I had both batteries and a generator as backup. Duh! Spent the next few minutes laughing at myself ;D
I think I would have spent the time driving the MH 90-degrees to the path of the storm.  ;)

Back
Top Bottom