Another GPS navigation system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
Hyundai has a portable GPS navigation system, similar in concept to the popular Garmin Street Pilot series. It's called the Pontus and its on sale right now for $389 through www.geeks.com. I don't have any experience with it, so cannot comment on usability, features, etc. , but it sounds like a heck of a deal.

See http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=PNAV-3530&cpc=SCH&srm=0

From that web site:

"Box indicates that it includes a 1 GB SD card but it is not included". OTOH if someone wants all the maps on the card, I bought a 1Gb SD card at Fry's last week for $54.99 less a $20 rebate. So it still appears to be a good deal.

FWIW we've been looking for an upgrade/aternative GPS unit. This is primarily for Chris' car when we're not in the coach, and she's not a button person, so I had her play with various makes and models while we were at Fry's - several times. She kept coming back to the Lowrance iWay 500C as the "easiest to use", so we bought it and are currently giving it a workout before our 30 days return period is up. I really like the larger (5") screen and, so far, the interface seems to be pretty good. With all the maps loaded, the 20 Gb hard drive has adequate space for MP3 songs, although that's not the reason we bought it (we have a separate 20 Gb MP3 player). It's not much more than half the price of the equivalent Garmin 2730, so I was happy with that  ;D

That is a pretty good buy but they also make a 3550 model which has a hard drive. KMart sells it for $599. The 3530 does not include an SD card and 1 gig cards are around $100 or so.
http://www.kmart.com/catalog/produc...9&Ne=89&N=1824&categoryId=1824&pCategoryId=89

BTW, Pontus also makes the PNAV-6220 which has a 6.2 inch touch screen. Street price on it is somewhere around $899 and I think the SD card is included.

Who supplies the maps is important...I believe Navteq is the most up-to-date and accurate. I don't know who Pontus map supplier is.

Gary,

Looks interesting, but I wonder if the gooseneck/suction cup mount is long enough for RV use, and perhaps it isn't stiff enough for touchscreen use with one hand.

Tom,
Did they have those at Fry's, and can you comment on the mount? 

Karl,

They did not have the one that Gary mentioned at Fry's so I can't comment on the machine or the mount.

FWIW the mount that came with the iWay is a very good glass mount with two different sizes of RAM mount arms. It also had what they call a "motorcycle mount", athough I don't plan to put it on a motorcycle. They offer an "RV mount" which is a flexible mount that IMO is better than the bean bag style that Garmin offers (we have two types of Garmin bean bags), but so far we haven't needed the RV mount.

Back
Top Bottom