Another Last Supper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Johnson

Terry and Betty

Wanted you to know that this also means "Missed You"!!

Attachments

• P6150001 (Medium).JPG
    P6150001 (Medium).JPG
    115 KB · Views: 62
Jim Johnson said:
Terry and Betty
Wanted you to know that this also means "Missed You"!!

I can't stop laughing.  You really got me good on that one.  And I see the gift store looks like something I wanted to explore.  All I did today was clean shower doors.  I see you all still have a smirk on your face.  Who took the picture?

Betty

You have the greeting done perfectly

You don't know how many times we practiced it ;D ;D

We left Fred and Daisy at Red Fleet this morning, gave up our power site (plus 5 trailers full of bratty kids that moved in behind us last night).  We are in Cheyenne for a few days.  Then on to OKC.

Jim Johnson said:
You don't know how many times we practiced it ;D ;D

We left Fred and Daisy at Red Fleet this morning, gave up our power site (plus 5 trailers full of bratty kids that moved in behind us last night).  We are in Cheyenne for a few days.  Then on to OKC.

Jim,

Please say hi to Melvin and Sharon for us! :)

Please say hi to Melvin and Sharon for us
Jim,

Will do.  We will have dinner with them while there and I will make them come to the M/H to look at some of the pictures and see what they missed.  Bet I won't have to beg them next year.

Why didn't you just fire up the two Hogs and show them what real retribution is all about?

Well, I looked at it this way - - -we were out of there and they were Fred's problem.  Actually, the kids were OK, it was the dog that started barking at 6:30am.  And to be totally truthful, my bike lift was broken, the winch gearing stripped, and the bike was broke, the third rectifier bit the dust and no one knows why.

Jim Johnson said:
Jim,

Will do.  We will have dinner with them while there and I will make them come to the M/H to look at some of the pictures and see what they missed.  Bet I won't have to beg them next year.

Jim,

I'm sure you won't!!! ;D ;D

What kind of rectifier are you talking about?

Karl, this is the third time I have tried to answer you.  In Mar before we left home I ended up with a dead battery on the bike.  Since it was three years old I figured it needed to be replaced, which I did.  Rode it for 50 miles and battery was dead again.  Shop determined that rectifier, which controls the charge from the alternator to the battery, had been fried and they put a new one on.  Rode 50 miles and was dead again.  They finally determined that the only thing that could be causing it was a battery, the new one, that would not take a full charge, thus frying the rectifier.  Another new rectifier, a new battery, and many miles of test riding, everything OK.  I left home in April and have been riding the bike since then.  10 days ago while at the end of pavement in Dinasour NM it went dead.  Since we were heading home, I just put it on the lift, with the thelp of a floor jack, and will let them have it when we get home.  I talked to the tech and he said the only thing that they can figure is the alternator is spiking, causing the frying. I think it is time for a new bike.

Jim Johnson said:
Karl, this is the third time I have tried to answer you.

Jim, was that an issue with the forum software that was causing the problem? I need to know and investigate this stuff, although sometimes there's no rational explanation.

Do motorcycle alternators have the same kind of diode array that car alternators have? IIRC there are nine diodes in the typical car alternator which perform the rectifying function, any of which could go bad. (It's been a while, so forgive me if I have it wrong).

was that an issue with the forum software

Tom,
Sorry for leaving the statement unfinished.  No, it was not with the forum, it was with a bad wireless keyboard.  The other times I started the message I had that in it, but after the third time, I left it out. 

The only thing I know about the bike electric is what they told me, that the recififier, which is a separate black box about 4x4x1 1/2, is what controls the output of the alternator to the battery.

Jim Johnson said:
... it was with a bad wireless keyboard.

Thanks for clarification Jim. That saves me some detective work.

the rectifier, which is a separate black box

That's different from what I remember about traditional cars (I may be way out of date here) that had the diodes built into the alternator housing. Today's cars may be significantly different.

Tom,

This rectifier is on Jim's bike, not his car.  It may be just a simple 4 diode bridge rectifier with an insufficient voltage rating.  It appears they may have replaced everything but the real problem, the alternator.

Ned said:
This rectifier is on Jim's bike, not his car.

I know, but I assumed that alternator technology was the same for both.

It may be just a simple 4 diode bridge rectifier

Sounds like it when they keep saying they replaced the "rectifier".

Jim,

An alternator actually uses two different diodes. One set of diodes, the 6 diode array Tom mentioned, rectifies the ac output and changes it into dc for charging, lights, etc. When the motor is not running, a small voltage is fed thru the ignition switch and a red idiot light, and that's what initially powers the rotor and allows the alternator to put out current. Once the motor is running, this voltage is supplied by the alternator itself thru the second diode, and the idiot light goes out. If the idiot light burns out (it happens, but rarely) there won't be any voltage to start the alternator working and you won't get any output from it after you start the engine. That diode is also switched off and on at a high rate of speed by the voltage regulator to control the voltage output of the alternator, keeping it steady regardless of speed. If this regulator is not switching the diode on and off properly, the alternator can put out LOTS of voltage (100+), and fry the diode array and/or battery.

An alternator doesn't 'spike' by itself. That indicates a problem in the voltage regulator.

Make sure the idiot light is working, replace the voltage regulator (it could be an intermittent problem), and make sure all connections are corrosion free and tight. That should solve your problem and is a lot cheaper than a new bike. ;D

a lot cheaper than a new bike

And just whose side are you on????  I have Tarry convinced that a new bike is the only solution ;D

Seriously, I will let you know what is wrong as soon as I get home.  Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom