Another New Guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rjkossman

I found this site and thought it would be fun to communicate with the forum and learn from the experiences of others.
A little about me: I have been camping and rving since the sixties going from truck camper to motorhome with a period where finances reduced us to tent camping. After my wife died two years ago, I sold my HR Endeavor pusher and kind of holed up. I am ready to move on and am contemplating another motorhome. I have a 1/2 ton pickup and thought about towing but that really doesn't appeal to me.

So, with that said, I have been looking at motorhomes on line. I have been concentrating on class A's in the 26 to 30 foot range. This of course limits my choices. Many of the smaller motorhomes are considered entry level and ,according to the reviews, have all the problems of inexpensively built machines with shoddy workmanship and poor quality materials. I have been looking at older model (2010 to 2014) Tiffins and like what I see. I have been in one Tiffin and was impressed with the solid wood and nice finishes in a 2012 Allegro 32BR. I am definetly turned off by diesel and what little I have been able to find out, the Maxforce diesel.
I appreciate any input from the forum.
Bob K

Welcome to the Forum. Tiffin has a solid reputation. I'm sure other members experienced in motor homes will soon be posting useful information.

Hi and Welcome!

Sorry to hear you lost your wife. Good that you're feeling able to get back out there.

I'm sure you'll get several opinions on good choices.

Good luck with your search.

I found this site and thought it would be fun to communicate with the forum and learn from the experiences of others.
A little about me: I have been camping and rving since the sixties going from truck camper to motorhome with a period where finances reduced us to tent camping. After my wife died two years ago, I sold my HR Endeavor pusher and kind of holed up. I am ready to move on and am contemplating another motorhome. I have a 1/2 ton pickup and thought about towing but that really doesn't appeal to me.

So, with that said, I have been looking at motorhomes on line. I have been concentrating on class A's in the 26 to 30 foot range. This of course limits my choices. Many of the smaller motorhomes are considered entry level and ,according to the reviews, have all the problems of inexpensively built machines with shoddy workmanship and poor quality materials. I have been looking at older model (2010 to 2014) Tiffins and like what I see. I have been in one Tiffin and was impressed with the solid wood and nice finishes in a 2012 Allegro 32BR. I am definetly turned off by diesel and what little I have been able to find out, the Maxforce diesel.
I appreciate any input from the forum.
Bob K
Welcome!

I am curious why you're turned off by Diesel. They are usually much better built than the gas rigs. But one problem is you probably won't be able to find a Class A in the 26 to 30' range that is diesel anyway. That was what I was looking for but in a new rig, but as far as I could tell, they didn't make any diesels in that range. The new RV I bought is 29'11". I found it to be just the right size for me, but I was looking for the smallest Class A I could find. But too many issues that I didn't care for in the smaller ones that I looked at.

Many in this forum are widowed, including myself. It's a bit different, but I still do several RV trips per year. Just now they are all solo trips.

For tent camping, I was doing backpacking trips until the last few years as well as RVing. Most of my RV trips include some hiking, just not as far and I have to get back to the RV.

-Don- Reno, NV

Don, I think the Maxxforce diesel is what he is concerned about. Cummins or Cat engines don’t have the same problems.

Bob, look at a Tiffin 32AA. Just slightly bigger than you were mentioning, and it has a Cummins engine on a Freightliner chassis. Freightliner means very few issues with the DEF heads like you hear about on Spartan and PowerGlide chassis. There is probably an equivalent Newmar, but I don’t have knowledge of that line.

I don't want to get into a Maxxforce vs Cummins peeing contest, but the combination of the Powerglide chassis and MaxxForce engine will limit your choices when it comes to chassis service and repairs. There simply aren't as many shops that will work on either one, or they will make caveats about charging for "time & materials" because they lack familiarity with either or both. But we have some Maxxforce owners here, so don't decide until you hear their opinions.

The Allegro Breeze is a nicer equipped coach than its gas-powered Allegro and Allegro Bay siblings, and the gas models are longer than you prefer as well. You might consider a Class C is you want a shorter, gas powered coach, but then you lose some class A features that are convenient.

Tiffin made a 32 ft Allegro Bay front diesel (aka FRED) around 2008. It's a Cummins engine on a Freightliner chassis, so easy to get serviced. Here's a Youtube video describing one. Surely no longer available for sale, but there will be others around if you are patient.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom