Another Newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rcmsdm

My wife and I are long time tent campers, looking to make the move to a small travel trailer. We started looking just before COVID hit. COVID halted our search but we are on the hunt again. We have a 1/2 ton suburban (2020 gas 5.3L 8cyl, 3.23 rear). I have not towed much beyond the occasional small utility trailer for short distances. We were thinking about a small ish trailer, 19-21 ft, Jayco, Winnie, maybe an Escape? Are molded fiberglass trailers like Escape or Casita worth the cost/wait for their lower potential for leaks, etc? Do double axle trailers' advantages outweigh their added expense over single axle? Any thoughts? Thanks for your input and for having me in the group!

Welcome to the Forum. The size of the travel trailers you are considering are suitable for a 1/2 ton vehicle. The Escape and Casita trailers are well made and have a positive reputation. The disadvantage of a single axle is a flat tire needs to be seen very quickly so you don't damage anything. However, installing a quality set of tires, checking the air pressure each morning while traveling, and checking your mirrors often lowers the risk of a blowout or not seeing it soon enough. Dual axles allow for a heavier trailer. Please keep us informed as you make your decision.

One thing is certain about the fiberglass eggs, they hold their value far better than most other types of RV's, they also have not changed much in the last 30+ years..

As to what would be right for you it is hard to say, as you have told us nothing about how you might use such a trailer. Are we talking weekends at a lake campground with bathrooms and showers, or are we talking boondocking in the middle of nowhere, or do you plan a 50 state in 50 weeks grand adventure? The tool that is right for one may not be right for the others.

Thanks for your feedback! Sorry for the skimpy background...we are both in our early 60's. My wife just retired. I plan to work close to full time for another year or two. We don't foresee any months-long sojourns cross country...mostly 3-10 day trips for the foreseeable future. we would like to be able to do some boondocking for short periods (3-5 days?) in National forest, BLM, State Forest lands, etc

A critical step is to get your truck's tow rating and GVWR, so you can establish a weight budget for the trailer and whatever you will carry in the truck itself. Then avoid the temptation to buy just a little bit bigger/heavier to get that one extra feature you really love.

Fiberglass is nice but nothing really wrong with the less expensive metal-sided trailers. Trailers in the 19-21 foot range will be twin axle - you won't find a single axle in that size/weight class. You will probably need to get under 16 ft if you want single axle.

Several days in a small trailer can be either relaxing or hell, depending on weather and your personal tolerance for roughing it. As experienced tent campers, you should do fine in a small trailer, but try to keep your expectations in check.

Water & waste tanks in a small trailer are usually quite limited, so your boondocking time may be shorter than you think unless you can make extensive use of campsite facilities. You will probably also want to add more battery capacity than the standard issue and maybe a solar panel too.

Check vehicle manual to see what you can tow, this will knock out much over 6000 # GVWC (totally loaded weight). Consider what is important to you. Like when we were looking found I needed less than 6000, we HAD to have a walk around bed, the ones where the crapper is next to bed were out.

BTW welcome to the forum

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom