Another nOOb says Hi!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mblaster

I bought a 94 Tioga Montara 24. I've done a bunch of work to it and it's about dialed in. Went out for my first trip last weekend for some dry camping at the beach. I've got a bunch of questions about future mods on the rig so you'll be seeing me around.

Welcome to our forum. We look forward to seeing your questions.

What work have you already done on the Montara?

Mblaster said:
I bought a 94 Tioga Montara 24. I've done a bunch of work to it and it's about dialed in. Went out for my first trip last weekend for some dry camping at the beach. I've got a bunch of questions about future mods on the rig so you'll be seeing me around.

Welcome to the RV Forum.  Sounds like you are getting the Tioga Montara into shape.  Please join in any of the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions you might have relating to the RVing lifestyle.

What part of the country are you from?

Tom said:
Welcome to our forum. We look forward to seeing your questions.

What work have you already done on the Montara?

The rig only has 51K and only 4K in the last 5 years. As usual most of the stuff that was bad was due to neglect. I had my mechanic go through the engine and make it road ready. The 460 pulls real strong now. Charged up the a/c, put fresh fluids/filters. I couldn't even blow air through the fuel filter! Serviced the tranny. 6 new tires. Brakes good. In the house the gen was a mess. I spent some bucks getting it working serviced and working properly. New carb, control panel, oil and plug. Serviced the roof(which is still kind of a mess) and all the appliances. I've got about 3K into it on top of the purchase, but I got a smoking deal on it.

Ron said:
Welcome to the RV Forum.? Sounds like you are getting the Tioga Montara into shape.? Please join in any of the ongoing discussions, start new discussions, or ask any questions you might have relating to the RVing lifestyle.

What part of the country are you from?

Thanks for the welcome, I'm from LA.

Sounds like you've done a lot of work, but the overall cost was probably well worth it.

Sounds like you are doing the right things. ?Hope you can join us at a RV Forum rally sometime. ?Maybe Quartzsite next January?

Tom said:
Sounds like you've done a lot of work, but the overall cost was probably well worth it.

I was tempted to buy something newer, but since it's my first RV I figured I'd look for something older that was a deal. Then if we like RVing in a few years we can sell this one and get into a newer model. I've got 2 little boys, one had a serious illness last summer and he got a bone marrow transplant from his little brother. The wife and I decided then that we needed to get the boys camping and fishing etc. That's not the easiest prospect living in LA. This RV will be so much fun, and the kids are so excited to go. Out next trip is in 2 weeks to the Kern River. I've been on the fast track learning about RV's and how they work. Next thing I think will be a dual house battery setup and maybe a inverter.

Wow sorry to hear about you little boys medical problem.  Sure hoe he is doing better now since the transplant.  I'm sure you will have some very enjoyable outings.

Nice to meetcha Mblaster.  Glad to hear your son is on the upswing.  I a sure your family will enjoy the new magic carpet.  I am a noob here also.  I plan to make Quartzite this coming year so maybe you can join up and we will represent the noob group.

Smoky said:
? I am a noob here also.? I plan to make Quartzite this coming year so maybe you can join up and we will represent the noob group.

How can you be a nOOb with 600+ posts and a 05 Newmar...LOL

Ron said:
Sounds like you are doing the right things. ?Hope you can join us at a RV Forum rally sometime. ?Maybe Quartzsite next January?

The kid's doing great, and yea that might be fun!

The low(er) investment in a used RV sounds like a good way to try it out. If it doesn't work out, you haven't lost an arm and a leg. If you like it and decide to trade up, you'll have the benefit of experience to know what features you need or don't need in your next RV.

Tom said:
The low(er) investment in a used RV sounds like a good way to try it out. If it doesn't work out, you haven't lost an arm and a leg. If you like it and decide to trade up, you'll have the benefit of experience to know what features you need or don't need in your next RV.

That and since it's fully depreciated it'll probably sell for near what I've got into it when the time comes.

"How can you be a nOOb with 600+ posts and a 05 Newmar...LOL"

Easy!  As Tom points out, Noobs ask a LOT of questions.  And the Newmar is my very first motorhome.  A week old now.  :D

The wife and I decided then that we needed to get the boys camping and fishing etc. That's not the easiest prospect living in LA. This RV will be so much fun, and the kids are so excited to go.

Let me make a recommendation of a campground for you:  Lake Cachuma, just north of Santa Barbara and near Solvang in the Santa Y?ez Valley.    It is a water district lake with good fishing, cats, bass, and put-n-take trout.  It has a marina with outboard skiffs and ponton boats for rent.  It has a nature center and really great ranger tours of the Lake and occasional presentations by the local Indian tribe ladies.  Flocks of wild turkeys wander thru the campgrounds. 

Facilities include a swimming pool, a full hookup trailer park, additional  W&E sites in a wooded area, and acres of tenting and boondocking sites.  Boat launch ramp, and a decent little general store.  All in all a real gem.  The hitch is no reservations, except for groups.  All sites are first come first served.  However, if you can arrive on a Thursday you can have a pick of sites in the trailer park, or in the W&E sites.

A real gem for kids, with Solvang and the Sideways wine country for the grown ups.

Mblaster said:
Yea that's a great spot. We plan on going there and Lake Casitas.

Casitas is OK except that they have the world's worst reservation service -- almost impossible to reach on the phone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom