Another Payload Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DarinAZ

Hope someone on here has experience/rationale for this:
I've been reading about payload and trying to get a handle on my 2016 Ram 3500. Can a manufacturer make it any more confusing?
2016 Ram 3500 DRW 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, Aisan 4.10, 8' bed, air suspension (has everything but ashtray and snow plow pkg. The dealer didn't think it was necessary in FL.
GVWR - 14k
FAWR - 6000
RAWR - 9750
Here's the dilemma.
The door sticker says don't exceed 5256lbs. The 2016 Ram 3500 towing guide has payload listed at 5680lbs. The Ram Camper Guide shows a combined weight rating of 4497 (Excluding weight of passengers in cab).
So I have 3 different weights and they're not even close. How does one choose which one to use? Go with the door sticker because it's on the truck?
4497 - Camper Guide (Excludes weight of occupants in Cab). Door sticker says up to 5 passengers. Adding weight in cab if 5 pax are in cab would be over 5k.
5256 - Door sticker
5680 - Towing Guide

i guess the last option is to go weigh and figure out payload based on the real weight of the truck. Has anyone run into this?

Thanks
Darin

Welcome to real life; yep, actual weighing is the solution. To compound this is what is published by the mfgr., their usual way of calculating is to use a 150# driver, no passengers,no cargo, and 1/2 tank of fuel.
Now who would ever tow like that?
You might find this online towing calculator useful, it is accurate, impartial, and eliminates any false salesperson information or brand owner chest-beating.

Door sticker wins everytime, reason being tow guides etc brochures etc dont account for the options your truck came with ie power seats moon roof etc
Door sticker is total loaded onto or into truck, people camper dog wood etc

Last edited:
Dodge makes it easy with their online lookup by VIN for towing

As for payload - I am guessing the camper guide is slide in camper weight of 4497. If you look at payload and it's 5256 it would make sense to leave headroom for gas and people.

Also if you subtract 4497 from the RAGWR of 9750 = 5253 which is likely nearing the unladen weight on the rear axle empty. Whatever gas capacity at 6# / gal is also gonna weigh heavily on the rear axle.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom