Another question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mookiebones

Okay, I have essentially ruled out the 1.5 baths in the travel trailers as they are a wee bit heavy for what I want to spend, not that I don;t like them, it is just too heavy and gets more expensive, as I would have to purchase a bigger truck to haul it.

My next question is:  Can you do a little "remodeling" within the 5er?  I am looking at the Keystone challenger, which has a rear bunk house with a slide.  Actually there are a few that have a slightly simular setup. 

Now, we only need the bunk house option for my child to have his own "room", but I also needed a place to put the dogs in their crates when we can't take them somewhere (I know about keeping them cool, I own a boarding kennel and understand the ramafications of this).  So I was thinking of taking out one of the bottom bunks to put two crates  for them to stay in.  is this possible?  what are the opinions on this??  Has anyone done remodeling and what happened?

-Adrienne

The short answer is "Yes" the long answer is a bit more complex and depends a lot on either 1: How much money you plan to spend or 2: How good you are at design, engineering and execution (Construction).

I've seen some photo spreads describing major "Remodels" for example... Adding a slide out (That's about as major as it gets)

so they can be done, you just have to preserve the structural integretary of the trailer

And do not ask me for help.  I'm not convinced I'm that good at the design/engineering phase of the job Though I might be good enough with a hammer and saw

No major remodel, just removing a bottom bunk and putting in a couple crates.  I just didn't know if anyone did projects like this.  I don;t even have the 5er yet, just doing the iniitial prep work for thinking of buying.

-Adrienne

My guess is that removing a bottom bunk would be as simple as removing a dinette bench.  I know someone who removed their washer/dryer and put in shelving.

Rv trailer construction is mostly pretty simple, so projects such as you have in mind are usually trivial. Basically it is a box sitting on a frame with furntire and cabinets screwed/bolted on here and there.

ADDING things can sometimes be tricky because there often is little in the way of structure to tie new things into. Removing things is usually pretty easy.

Mookie,
Our friends have a bunkhouse trailer similar to the one you are describing.  They took out their lower bunk to add, basically, storage cabinets.  The bunk frame was simply bolted to cleats at either end of the bed.  They wrapped the extra bunk in plastic and stored it in their garage.

Cool, thanks for the replies, Now things are a little broadened for me, as far as researching to find the right one.

-Adrienne

Back
Top Bottom