antennae interference

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jstolsig

I have a new Ram 2500 truck and they are putting a shark fin type antennae on the roof.  I assume it includes Sirius XM, navigation and the various apps that came with the deal.  Unfortunately my camper apparently blocks this signal as those functions don't work "most of the time".  The truck dealer was no help.  A camper dealer was no help.  An audio shop said they could add a new Sirius antennae but no ideas for the other functions.  Anybody out there have an idea?

The antenna needs to be on the highest part of the vehicle so it has line of sight to the satellites in the sky.  You could mount a similar antenna on the roof of the camper and run it's cable into the cab, but then you're faced with disconnecting it and reconnecting the antenna on the truck svery time you take the camper on or off.

Sorry, yes it is a truck camper.  I'll attach a picture if I can figure out how.

Attachments

• IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 35
The picture is sideways, but I see your problem. That antenna is useless with the camper on board. If that "shark fin" is truly  multiple antennas in one, then I can't help with making changes much, but if it has multiple connections into it, or if multiple connections go to a box whose single output goes to the fin, then mounting whatever antenna(s) you need on the camper (maybe another fin) and running a (possibly switchable) set of leads to them is the only suggestion I have.

It appears the connection(s) to the fin may be in the headliner of the cab, so I don't know what you have to take apart on yours to get to them. But perhaps that connects to something under the dash that can be tapped to run up to the top of the camper.

Typically those antennas come with X feet of cable with the connector on one end and the antenna on th other.  Nobody cuts the cord.  They coil it, usually under the dash. 

Question, is the antenna glued on or held on by a magnet?  If it is perhaps you can move it wherever it works.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom