Anxiety over leaving one behind

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RVMommaTo6

I leave for my 10 month trip in 3 months now. I'm bringing one cat and leaving the other home since it's technically not mine (long story) and because he would be miserable with us gone all day doing stuff and being stuck inside. Despite knowing he would hate it, I feel sooooo bad having to leave him! He's my baby, he's sleeping on me as I type this. :(

Are you home 24/7 for your cats now?  They won't do anything different in the RV while you are gone - take a catnap.  Probably in a window. We've traveled 100k+ miles with four different cats and no worries.
If the cat has no other caretaker, bring it with you.  If it lives with you full time, it's yours.

RVMommaTo6 said:
I leave for my 10 month trip in 3 months now. I'm bringing one cat and leaving the other home since it's technically not mine (long story) and because he would be miserable with us gone all day doing stuff and being stuck inside. Despite knowing he would hate it, I feel sooooo bad having to leave him! He's my baby, he's sleeping on me as I type this. :(

OK it took me a minute to come up with a solution....
Gather the children together and inform them that are absolutely...Not to pack some extra cat food ... And under no circumstance should anyone find a place for the cat's bed. And make sure they understand that it's very important that you don't find that cat in the RV...until your to far from home to turn back.

I think your lodger's mom might not be happy based on prior behaviour if you happened to have a stowaway!  ;D

The way I look at it is if the roles were reversed the cat would not shed a tear when you leave. I have taken several month long vacations and left my three cats at home. When I returned they didn't even notice I was back.

We aren't home 24/7 now, but he spends a lot of time outside wild and free, which he couldn't do if we were traveling. He's used to going outside when we aren't home. He lives with me, but he technically belongs to a neighbor who, after 2 years, says she wants him back home with her. It's a long story, but he's the friendliest little guy ever yet won't let her near him without biting and scratching.

He misses us when we're only gone for hours lol, when I'm gone on weekends, he won't leave my side when I get back. When we pull up, he runs home from where ever he is to get pet. He even follows us around the neighborhood on walks. He's soooooo my baby! But he would really hate traveling, I couldn't do that to him.

How do you know he would hate traveling?

Get a leash and harness and take him outside when you park for the night.

wackymac said:
How do you know he would hate traveling?

Get a leash and harness and take him outside when you park for the night.
He's been in my car once and was terrified. He also loves being around people as much as possible, he's like a dog! Lol, but he's had free range outside since he was a kitten, so being cooped up inside with no people wouldn't be ideal for him. We're going to be out exploring more often than not.

It's such a pain. I understand you perfectly. I had exactly the same situation. Everything will get better, I assure you, the main thing is not to worry more than necessary. Because otherwise you will only make it worse!

OK< so now that someone drug this thread up out of the "Archives" I am curious how the cat took to being left behind during the trip.

Some cats love the RV life. some do not. Of the 4 cats I traveled with
#1 did not like life on the road at all
#2 Did not seem to mind
#'s 3 and 4 hated moving from house to RV or back (i think they thought I was going to take 'em to the vet) but once in the RV were happy as in the house.. #3 liked to go walkabout if she could get outside but.. She would return because she started life for the first month or two as a wild cat (About 7 weeks per the vet) but she found that magic food bowl and clean water dish very..... Tempting (The bowl kept filling up over and over you see)
#4, Male, if I left the door open he'd wait on the top step and look at me like 'Why'd you leave the door open'.

I was in the same situation as your nearly one year ago. I should leave my cat home alone to go on a business trip. I was anxious and depressed about that. I can't even imagine that I will not see my cat for nearly three months. I was thinking about what can I do to get my cat, but this was impossible. While being far from home, I was thinking only about Jacky, which didn't allow me to concentrate on my work. When my boss noticed that I am worried and can't work, he advised me to check <spam link removed> to get some products that may calm me down. After using Kratom, I felt more relaxed and started to work. I overcome my anxiety and the time passed very fast, so I returned home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom