Any Active Coast Guard Members on here getting paid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad situation. 

Equal question:  Are members of Congress getting paid?  The Media (especially this source) certainly wants to fuel the fire, but leave out other important facts.

I have heard, there are super reasonable places that are offering very low rate loans to cover paychecks, after all, the American Government is a pretty solid bet that they will get repaid.  Why aren't those stories on the nightly news?

Rather than throw rocks, this Country needs to set the rocks down.  The elected President stands for protected boarders, and the people voted him into office.  Some of those in Congress have NO agenda other than to stand in the way of that. 

I know it is political, life is political.  But life is also about give and take, and compromises for the greater of the whole.

Back on topic:  Thank Each and everyone the Serves our Great Country, and has Served  :)

Since the Coast Guard is part of Department of Homeland Security, and that department is not funded, they aren?t getting paid. Neither are the Border Patrol agents, food inspection workers, or the NPS among dozens of other agencies.

I thought forced work without pay was another definition of ?slavery?, and I am appalled that such an abomination is allowed within the United States.

The CG is getting paid.  All those govt employees laid off will get their full pay once this is over.  It is a paid vacation and the only problem is they will not get the money till it's over.

Coast Guard got paid 31 December, but they won?t be paid on 15 January.
http://allhands.coastguard.dodlive.mil/2018/12/28/government-shutdown-faqs-cgma-loan-information/

UTTransplant said:
I thought forced work without pay was another definition of ?slavery?, and I am appalled that such an abomination is allowed within the United States.
X2

similar to slavery... and still allowed in America.... imagine how a draftee felt in Vietnam.  :D

I was at the sub base in Groton, CT on Friday. Several of the people I spoke to had checked their bank accounts for direct deposit. They had all been paid, but were receiving reports from across the river that Coast Guard personal had not.

Interesting that the shutdown results from a dispute over border security, but results in Border Patrol agents and facilities losing their pay/funding.  It's a good thing there are a lot of dedicated people who continue to work in hope that they will eventually get back pay for their efforts.

For the "It's a paid vacation" crowd:
During the 1995 shutdown that lasted 21 days, I was at the beginning of my career and low on the pay scale.  My husband was in construction and the shutdown was during his slow time.  We had a 1 year old who had been born with some very serious health issues.  Our bank account was devastated already by her long stay in ICU and several surgeries up to that point. 

I received back pay, but the stress of those days weighed heavy on us and the one missed paycheck meant we had to borrow from family.  Due to the crush of medical bills, our credit was not good enough to get those advertised loans for furloughed workers.  I was not able to travel to see my family since we could be called back in to work at any time.  I enjoyed the time off with a healthy child (a new idea to me at that time), but still had to pay for day care or I would lose my spot.

I would never have characterized that time as a paid vacation.  It was stressful and unnecessary.  My 2 cents.

It certainly isn?t a paid vacation when you can?t pay your bills and have to stay available to return to work with a 4 hour notice. A friend of mine, a NPS ranger on shutdown leave had his long planned ?real? vacation leave cancelled due to the ?return to work in 4 hours? thing. Luckily he got his deposits back from sympathetic vendors.

My dad is retired CG.  I'll have to ask him if his check has been affected.  I'd suppose it is....

It should be noted that contractors to the government (I was one for a number of years) do not get paid/can't work unless the agency is funded.  So I didn't get paid.  And, unlike government employees, I did not receive eventual back pay.  So this was a forced unpaid period of time off for me.  Despite enjoying my contracting/consulting work to the Dept of Interior on issues where they had zero in house expertise and badly needed my team's support, we all eventually left to pursue more steady opportunities in the private sector.  I don't have any idea how the agency filled the gap.  It is estimated that the federal workforce includes around 40% additional contractors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom