Any Advice 5r/MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motojavaphil

Carol and I have decided to sell our home and f/t.  We hope to be out of the house by June and have all things near and dear sorted.  Our plan is to move to my area of work and live nearby until June of 08 when the strings will be detached from the working world.  We have been looking at Excel 5r's and really like them.  We are also looking at some older American Eagles and Country Coach motorhomes.  All I can say is wow.  We see the Excel as needing an MDT/HDT to haul it whereas the bus will have to have a toad.  I figure I can put a 20' trailer on the back and haul motorcycles and a Wrangler and have a garage to boot.  Any suggestions or cautions.  We hope to be about 60' long with the bus. 

Thanks, Phil 

Be sure that whatever coach you buy can tow the weight of a trailer and its contents.  Check both the towing capacity of the coach and the GCVWR.  With a 20' trailer and 40' coach, you'll be closer to 65' overall.

The choice of trailer vs motorhome is a tough one - each has it plusses.  Until you actually retire, the trailer would be probably a better choice: lower initial cost, lower insurance and you aren't moving around much anyway.  But when you start to travel, you will love the motorhome for its extra conveniences while on the road.

A big trailer on a big motorhome is going to constrain you somewhat on campsite choice - you will be near 65 feet and need the largest spaces.  Depends on where you want to go. 

While I have been RVing for many years, I was without an Rv for the past 10+ years, waiting to retire.  When I retired I bought a late model used 5th wheel....here it is a year later and I just traded for a 40' diesel pusher...also used.  Big step up...but for us I believe it will be a better set upas we plan to travel extensively.  No doubt our 5'r was comfortable once we got where we were going....and if we were living in it as you may be doing, it would be fine.  The MH however, will be more comfortable for our cross country trips....most syistems controlled from inside....power awnings, jacks.....firing the generator form inside....larger grey and black water storage, etc. etc.  I guess it really comes down to personal choice....both get the job done.
Good luck!!

We have finally agreed in our household to buy an Excel and a big Volvo 770.  The debate raged for days between the bus and 5r.  I really liked the bus and figure I could have stayed in proper lengh if I was careful.  The busses are beautiful.  The 5r offered a lot of home for the money and the Volvo offers road going comforts as much as the bus does.  We figure with the Volvo we will never look at another puller again in our lifetimes.  It will also open the door to getting other floorplans/newer 5rs without having to sell the whole enchilada.  This seems to be the path to our F/T career.  I will say it is not a simple path, like going down to Dodge and buying a cummins, but it will be worth it in the end. 
Thank you for you advice.  If you see a big Red Volvo towing an Excel with two motorcycles behind the sleeper please come over and say Hi. 
Phil 

Congratulations on making the big decision choice, Phil. I recall how we dithered back and forth when considering a change from fiver to motorhome. We ultimately went with the MH, but would have been happy the other way too.

Congrats Phil on making up your mind, I know you pondered many a day and evening to derive your decision.  Sincerely hope you've found your desire.

Funny how things change as you close in on the day.  We are back to the MH due to sitting down with DW and figuring out things.  We have been researching coaches extensively and that seems to be the path.  We figured the 770 had too many unknowns whereas the MH is turnkey up to a point.  Eating crow is pretty tasty at times especially when dealing with RV's.

Phil

Gary, You are absolutely right about that.  Hopefully I can hold on to this plan for awhile.  We will as the packing and distributing stuff.  Need to clear the house and get off the dreaming part.  We did a cost and use analysis resulting in the change of plans.  That crow sure be tasty!

Phil

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom