ANY GEOCACHERS STILL AROUND

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunny69

I notice that there has been no new post for any Geocaching thread for quite some time.  We are  avid geocachers and look forward to meeting some other RV'ers that are also into this hobby.

There were avid geocachers at our RVForum Rally in Quartzsite.  Maybe they will  respond.  Some went out daily and found  upwards of  11 or 12 caches a day I think.  Then they were off to a big Geocaching  rally.  So yeah they are  out there.  Maybe not reading the  RVForum because they are outside  searching!

Rabid cachers here. Just left a 5-day geocaching rally in Quartzsite, did 25-30 caches each day and many did a lot more.  There are a bunch of great power runs there. And the Yuma Mega Event is in a few days. Right now we're trying to figure out how to do the USMC logo geoart run in the California desert.

I think most geocachers are too busy caching to post :)

Wow, thanks for the responses.  I think you may be right, Wendy, everyone is out geocaching and don't have time to post on the Forum.  Glad to see that it is an active hobby for many who RV.  Seems to me, it makes for a great hobby to do when you are RV'ing.  Allows you the excuse to get off of the beaten paths and see new country.    So far we have found a geocache on 255 days of the 366 days of the year.  We blew it and missed last Feb 29th, so it will be a while before we get another chance at that day.  Oscar Mike, we have found it to be a great hobby that we love to do.  If you have a smart phone you can download the geocaching app for about $10 and it is good enough for most of the traditional caches. 

Geocaching is a great hobby for RVers...takes you interesting places, gives you exercise, and you meet interesting g people. We use our iPhones with the Geocaching.com app plus a Garmin eTrex for caching. If you have a droid smart phone, there's a free app. If you get really serious, you'll need a kayak and a Jeep so you can 'find' even more caches.

Wendy, seems like I read on one of your post that y'all home base out of Cortez.  We come out to Farmington, NM to visit friends pretty often.  Next time we come out and y'all are there we need to hook up for lunch or something.

I know this is an old topic but wanted to let you know that we are avid geocachers too and fairly new to the forum here.  I guess you could call us avid since we have over 15,000 finds although health has kept us down to only around a 1000 a year the last two years.  We are making plans to go to Yellowstone this year to get as many of the earthcaches and virtuals we can while there.  We love the geoart out there that keeps cropping up.  And I love Puzzle caches.  I have over a 1000 solved that we have not been able to go find yet.  Anyone want to follow us around as we go get them?  LOL.

We do some geocaching also.  Just bought a new hand held and waiting for spring.  Finally had to replace the old one as it was a serial connection and haven't had a computer with a serial port in quite some time.
We don't go specifically to geocache but check for interesting locations when we set up camp that we can hike or canoe/kayak to.

I'm a new RVer but have been geocaching for over three years. I was going to ask if there was geocaching RVer.  8)

Linda

There seem to be quite a few of us geocachers on here, just not very active on the forum.  We still have fun doing both geocaching and RV'ing.  Hope to see some of you down the road.

I want to be..... thought it would be a great diversion to do with my kids when we're camping... started to do it back in my popup camper days a bit.  Seems like a good excuse, rather than hiking for walking sake, let's go see if we can find....
But only using the iphone app, now android, it's tough.  Most often I found that we'd be in limited signal areas and it didn't work so good.
I just never invested in a modern handheld gps....
I do have an old Lorance aviation handheld gps that i could probably get to work, but it's old school and likely clunky.... AND I never think to print out the caches before I get there....

We use our IPhone almost exclusively to do our geocaches.  About the only time we ever use our old Magellan GPS is for multi-caches or for when we are out of cell phone range, and then as you mentioned, you have to already know which caches you will be going for so you can poke in the coordinates ahead of time.  Still, we are able to find almost all of the caches just using our IPhone.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ladygadget
Back
Top Bottom