Any Info on tours through Passport America?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gthomas

We are planning a cross-country trip this year. Passport America has a 30 day caravan that covers part of the area we want to see (Great American Caravan). We are considering taking it in the middle of our travels from California across I-40 and home through a northern route.
We have been pleased with our membership, but I am having problems finding any reviews about their tours other than on their own website. Has anyone had any experience with their tours?
The price is expensive, but reasonable compared to other providers. We are not trying to decide tour or no tour, we are looking for someone to do the legwork in the middle of our trip.
Any help or comments will be appreciated.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
I think the actual tour operator is Great American Caravans LLC, so maybe you can find reviews for them. I believe they have a Facebook page, and I think I've seen mention of them on consumer feedback sites such as Yelp & Trip Advisor.

We've never taken any RV tour, but have chatted with several tour participants at various campgrounds over the years. They all seem to be pleased. Note that a organized tour is NOT right for everybody - you are on a schedule and your entertainment is mostly chosen for you, so less freedom of action. The upside is that somebody else figures out all the arrangements.

gthomas

Thanks Gary.
We did a Good Sam tour to Baja California many years ago, so we understand. . Normally we like the freedom of just doing our own thing, but this time, we are looking for a break in the middle of our trip to let someone else do the work.
I'll research Great American Caravans LLC and see what I can find.

Heli_av8tor

We took the Passport (Great American Caravan) Florida tour 3 years ago and look forward to another someday. It was 43 nights. I think they’ve shortened it some as most agreed that it was a bit much. We started in Biloxi, MS, followed the Gulf coast to Key West, then up the Atlantic side to Jacksonville.

We are not good planners and this was a perfect answer for us. We saw and did so much more than we would have on our own. Also met several couples that we have remained friends with.

Although not totally without a hitch or two Ryan and crew always bent over backwards to make it an enjoyable venture.

One of our goals was to find a RV resort or two that we’d like to spend a winter. A number of our overnights were at fairgrounds. At first I was disappointed with that but quickly learned that we enjoyed them more than the resorts. Also learned that we are more Arizona people than Florida people.

SeilerBird

When I was a teenager going to Disneyland frequently I developed 'Tom's First Disneyland Theory' and it goes like this:
If I go to DL alone and stay 12 hours I will see 20 attractions. If I take a girl to DL for the same length of time we will see 12 attractions. If she brings along her kid we will see 10 attractions. If she brings twins we will see 8 attractions and if she brings three kids we will see 6 attractions.
This theory works because a group always travels at the fastest speed the slowest in the group travels. So if you are not in a hurry it might work out for you.

gthomas

Thanks guys,
We retired last year and are looking to visit some places we have never had time to go to. Taking our time and having someone show us things we wouldn't find on our own is part of the plan, so sit sounds like this trip is going to be OK for us.
I found some google reviews and they are also positive.
Looks like we are going to go for it!

ziplock

e retired last year and are looking to visit some places we have never had time to go to. Taking our time and having someone show us things we wouldn't find on our own is part of the plan, so sit sounds like this trip is going to be OK for us.
Can you share your plan?

UTTransplant

We took the Passport (Great American Caravan) Florida tour 3 years ago and look forward to another someday. It was 43 nights. I think they’ve shortened it some as most agreed that it was a bit much. We started in Biloxi, MS, followed the Gulf coast to Key West, then up the Atlantic side to Jacksonville.

We are not good planners and this was a perfect answer for us. We saw and did so much more than we would have on our own.Also learned that we are more Arizona people than Florida people.
I will have to pick your brains about this the next time we see you. We are interested in maybe doing a tour in the east just because it seems you have to plan campgrounds well in advance there. I spent 30 years of my life as a project manager, and I don't want to plan anything complicated ever again LOL! Doing a tour in an area I will probably only be in once seems like a reasonable thing, because we are much more westerners than easterners.

Heli_av8tor

The NE states are what we are interested in as well, and for mostly the same reasons. We really had a great time on the FL trip.

Gary RV_Wizard

Site Team
For those who struggle with locating campgrounds and attractions, an organized tour can be a real boon. We've never had difficulty finding a CG, even in popular destination areas, but I'll grant that it can be some hassle if traveling at peak times. However, part of our "planning" was always to avoid such peaks!

I get the impression that GThomas has already made the decision to use a caravan rather than going on his own, and is only asking if Great American is a good choice. Anti-tour replies aren't being helpful.

gthomas

Can you share your travel plan?
We are going to work our way across I-40, we have seen most of the western part, so the goal will be to get to the caravan. On the way home, we want to see the Midwest, Black Hills & Mount Rushmore. We have been as far as Yellowstone, so we want to focus east of there.
We haven't planned this part of the trip very well yet, we were trying to decide on the Passport America part before we got too excited.

Top Bottom