ANY KIND OF ADJUSTMENT FOR AWNINGS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JIGGS

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Posts
255
Location
new castle pa.
HELLO. I HAVE HAD A SLIGHT PROBLEM OPENING MY AWNING. ONE SIDE WOULD HANGUP. JUST A LITTLE TUG IT WOULD WORK FINE. THE LAST COUPLE OF TIMES I ROLLED IT UP I HAVE HAD A HARD TIME GETTING IT TO CLOSE. LAST WEEKEND I HAD TO GO ON TOP OF THE MOTOR HOME TO CLOSE THE AWNING. IT SEEMS THE TOP OF THE ARMS HAVE MOVED ABOUT A QUARTER INCH TO THE SIDE. USING A SCREW DRIVER TO PRY THE ARMS OVER IT WAS THE ONLY WAY TO CLOSE THEM AND LOCK IT WILL ROLL UP ALL THE WAY BUT THE ARMS HIT WERE THEY ARE ATTACHED TO THE RV. THEM. LAST WEEKEND THERE WAS NO HEAVY WINDS AND NO RAIN. COULD THEY HAVE BENT AND I NOT HEAR A BIG WIND GUST OR DID IT COME OUT OF ADJUSTMENT. ANY IDEAS WOULD BE HELPFUL THANKS JIGGS
 

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Posts
25,107
Location
USA
If both arms are off by about the same amount, the fabric has moved in the slot in the roller tube.  Try to pull the fabric back to realign the arms.
 

Howard R

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2005
Posts
567
Location
Minnesota
Ned said:
If both arms are off by about the same amount, the fabric has moved in the slot in the roller tube.  Try to pull the fabric back to realign the arms.

Jiggs,

I'd agree with Ned ... we had the same problem and that was what they did to fix it ... realign the fabric in the tube.

Howard
 

JIGGS

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Posts
255
Location
new castle pa.
Thanks that sounds easy enough to do. Now for a dumb question. Does the fabric go in the center or is there a rule of thumb to were it goes ?
P.S. I was not trying to make any one mad at me when i use capital letters in my questions. That is just the way I have allways done it. Sorry to those who didn't like it. i will not do it again.
THANKS JIGGS
 

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Posts
25,107
Location
USA
Generally the fabric should be centered in the track, but you can judge how far to move it by how far the rafters are out of alignment when the awning is rolled up.  Move it to the center, roll the awning up, and see how close it comes.  It may take several adjustments but it will eventually roll up correctly.  You may then want to put some small screws in each end of the fabric to keep it from moving in the track.
 

JIGGS

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Posts
255
Location
new castle pa.
Help I tried to center the awning. Is there a special way to pull it back to the center ? Does it take more than one person to pull it. Do you have to release the awning in the roller somehow. Do you use dynamite and then let a rv shop put a new one on. I tried to inch it over but some were I lose what i have moved. The only thing I have pulled and worked was hair off my head. If you have any ideas please send them or send me a fishing pole. That was a lot less strain.
 

Ned

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Feb 1, 2005
Posts
25,107
Location
USA
It is easier with 2 people.  It just takes time as you move the fabric a bit at a time.  I would start from the long end and push, then pull the fabric toward the center.
 

Kenneth

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Posts
438
JIGGS said:
Help I tried to center the awning. Is there a special way to pull it back to the center ? Does it take more than one person to pull it. Do you have to release the awning in the roller somehow. Do you use dynamite and then let a rv shop put a new one on. I tried to inch it over but some were I lose what i have moved. The only thing I have pulled and worked was hair off my head. If you have any ideas please send them or send me a fishing pole. That was a lot less strain.

You do have the awning extended right, and locked in place? (sorry had to ask) Since the coil is still pulling on the fabric make sure you release the tension by rotating the coil counter clockwise. Two or three people does work better though  ;D
 

gcharte

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Posts
283
We are having the same problem both sides at the top are off by about a half inch and I had to go on the roof to close the awning. Let me get this right if I don't call for a Dometic rep since our MH is less that a year old. You pull the awning and the turn the coil counter clockwise to relieve the tension and the check it again. I'm also having a problem with pooling water and the rear side is supposed to drop when it rains to release the water and it doesn't. Sounds like to much.


Thanks Gary & Eileen
 

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Apr 8, 2005
Posts
8,965
Location
SD/AZ
gcharte said:
We are having the same problem both sides at the top are off by about a half inch and I had to go on the roof to close the awning. Let me get this right if I don't call for a Dometic rep since our MH is less that a year old. You pull the awning and the turn the coil counter clockwise to relieve the tension and the check it again. I'm also having a problem with pooling water and the rear side is supposed to drop when it rains to release the water and it doesn't. Sounds like to much.


Thanks Gary & Eileen

Gary:

The discussion above works well on the manual A&E awning but not on the Weather Pro. Your description of the dump system makes me believe you have the Weather Pro. I replaced our A&E 9000 last September and we are having awning #5 installed in a week at Camping World Mesa. The design on this model comes in two models, a Standard and Basement model. The Standard is for RV's with a door or slide under the awning and the arms extend to try and hold the awning almost horizontally out from the coach but the structure is not solid enough to support the load and the fabric sags. The only acceptable units of the 30 or so I have checked out have the Basement design that allows the awning to extend down at approximately 30 degrees from the coach and allows the water to run off.

I am currently working with CW to get the change done on our coach.
 

gcharte

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Posts
283
I have the standard A&E awning and I don't think I like it all that much, it's difficult to fasten down I need to get ratchet tie downs so it doesn't billow in the wind. Since we had a problem while staying on the ocean I get these stupid flash backs of how bad it was that night in the storm. When I had the brackets replaced I should have gotten regular frames for our RV. I spoke with a RV dealer at an RV show in Fort Myers and he tells me everyone wants the A&E power awning, I sure don't know why.



Thanks,
G&E
 

WILDinTHEwoods

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 15, 2007
Posts
59
Location
Cannonfalls Campground, Minnesota
This happens to me too when the awning is out when it's windy.  The awning slides freely back and forth in the channel.  With all of the commotion in the wind the awning slides to one end of the spring tube.  I never notice it until I wind the awning back in.  I just push it back over until the arms line back up with the brackets.
 

gcharte

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2006
Posts
283
Part of our problem is that the awning as been off adjustment since July 2006 and now has a slight inward U in the front side near the top of the motorhome, not sure why this happened but since it is only eight months old Dometic should cover the awning under warranty.

Hopefully,

Gary &  Eileen
 

rbell

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 29, 2006
Posts
706
Location
Jackson, Michigan
Hi Jiggs  I just tried to attach a copy of the A&E service manual for there awnings, but it was too large. It's 293kb & attachments are restricted to 150kb. I can email it to you or maybe someone could stick it in the library, but I don't know how. Let me know. It has the procedures for fabric replacement, adjustment, roller tube replacement, etc.

BTW: it's a pdf document.
 

Tom

Administrator
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Posts
49,040
It's 293kb & attachments are restricted to 150kb....maybe someone could stick it in the library


Dick, I can always open up the attachment limits for special cases (and have done on several occasions). I'll upload useful documents/files to the library if someone emails them to me. However, if this is A&E's document, it will have copyright restrictions and can't be uploaded here as an attachment or as a library file without their permission.
 

RLSharp

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2005
Posts
1,810
Location
Rochester, NY summer; Tucson, AZ winter; otherwise
rbell said:
I just tried to attach a copy of the A&E service manual for there awnings, but it was too large. It's 293kb & attachments are restricted to 150kb. I can email it to you or maybe someone could stick it in the library, but I don't know how. Let me know. It has the procedures for fabric replacement, adjustment, roller tube replacement, etc.

BTW: it's a pdf document.

Dick,

Is this a .pdf file which you scanned or do you have a link for it? In either case, I would like a copy as I am about to replace all of my awning fabric.

Thanks. Richard
[email protected]
 

JIGGS

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 22, 2006
Posts
255
Location
new castle pa.
Dick .  That would be great if you could email that to me. Do it when you can there is no hurry. Today the temp was -6 with a wind chill of - 28  so like I said no hurry but would like to have a copy.  Email to [email protected]  and thanks again
 
Top Bottom