Any spares for Kar Kaddy SS other than Demcos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strugglebus

Been searching for any spare wheel and tire that can be used as a spare for the Demco Kar Kaddy SS. It seems that Demco has done their best to force you to buy their spare wheel, which is in the $400 range when a trailer spare should be under or near $100-200. They say that the wheel is designed to work specifically with their turning system on the dolly. Anybody have any known replacements for the wheel and tire?

205/75 R14 on a 5.5 inch wheel, but I think the bolt pattern on the wheel is different from other wheels so you're forced to buy their wheel. I'm no expert by any means on the subject so looking for other options and trying to find out if the wheel is designed differently than other wheels to allow the movement when the dolly tracks behind the MH.
Walmart has the tire for $82 and I found a wheel for about $250. May have to just bight the bullet

Attachments

• spare.PNG
    spare.PNG
    12.6 KB · Views: 0
I think the mystery is solved. Etrailer has a video explaining that the wheel has a positive 42mm offset which is very odd to find. This makes the mounting surface far to the outside of the wheel which, as they state, will pull everything towards the center of the dolly. This would be one of their secrets to the tracking ability of the trailer behind the vehicle. Along with the bolt pattern and the pilot hole size I doubt I'll find any suitable wheels elsewhere.

As long as the tire wouldn't rub on the fender a regular offset wheel will get you down the road to where you can have a garage swap wheels or repair/replace your flat.

I'm thinking the same as Krazee - use a standard wheel for the spare. It should work well enough to get to a tire shop for a permanent fix to the proper wheel/tire. Think of it like those little "donut" spares used in many cars today - just an temporary use item. Paint the wheel with red stripes or something to remind you & others that it isn't fr regular use.

Actually a mini spare, or at least the wheel might be a good alternative. Many of those are positive offset. They wont be 14" but you only need to match OD of the tire anyway. Stop into a local tire shop with your Kaddy. They should have a set of guages used to determine bolt circle. I would anticipate 5 on 4 1/2". That is fairly common on trailer hubs. An old Ford Ranger wheel will work if the center is big enough to go over your hub.
(Went to my charts. A 215/60-16 would match up nicely in diameter. Depending on brand it may be a bit taller on a narrow mini spare wheel. That is a very common size and you should be able to find a good used tire that will serve your purpose at a fraction of the cost. I wish you were near me in Ohio.)

Last edited:
As long as the tire wouldn't rub on the fender a regular offset wheel will get you down the road to where you can have a garage swap wheels or repair/replace your flat.
Actually a mini spare, or at least the wheel might be a good alternative. Many of those are positive offset. They wont be 14" but you only need to match OD of the tire anyway. Stop into a local tire shop with your Kaddy. They should have a set of guages used to determine bolt circle. I would anticipate 5 on 4 1/2". That is fairly common on trailer hubs. An old Ford Ranger wheel will work if the center is big enough to go over your hub.
(Went to my charts. A 215/60-16 would match up nicely in diameter. Depending on brand it may be a bit taller on a narrow mini spare wheel. That is a very common size and you should be able to find a good used tire that will serve your purpose at a fraction of the cost. I wish you were near me in Ohio.)
Great advice from the two of you! Appreciate the insight. I'd much rather spend the money on the MH chassis than spares.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom