Any tips on RVing to Yellowston in winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

windt

I am at grand teton now, 24ft class c towing a sedan.
YS website says only north entrance is open.
How is the road conditions(see picture).
Any other info is also appreciated, like where to park, what to visit in YS, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• C7AFC7E2-986C-4593-9493-4AA46EFEC34B.jpeg
    C7AFC7E2-986C-4593-9493-4AA46EFEC34B.jpeg
    177.7 KB · Views: 8
From what I have read about Yellowstone the vast majority of the roads are closed to "on road" vehicles this time of year. Remember most (all?) of it is at a higher elevation than you are at Grand Tetons.

Only road open in park is the north entrance from Gardiner to Cooke City. Driving it in a truck is difficult as it drifts, etc. Rest of roads are for snowmobile, snow couch travel...

I grew up in Montana and lived there most of my life. I've seen some very harsh and dangerous winter weather. I'd never try to go to Yellowstone in the winter in an RV. But, I wish you well if you are determined to go there.

Only road open in park is the north entrance from Gardiner to Cooke City.
I am wondering what you plan to do in the park as you will need a snow machine to get to the attractions or pay for a trip by snow tours. Since your question was about road conditions, my first question is how experienced you are at RV travel on slick winter roads? As one who spent 18 years traveling WY in all seasons for a living, I would never consider the route you are asking about with an RV towing a car. If you are determined to do so, at least check with the current road conditions before you start.
Wyoming Highway 22 current conditions
Idaho Highway 33 current road conditions
Note that both roads have slippery, icy conditions with snow packed roads.

Last edited:
West Yellowstone routinely gets temps of -20 to -30F. Are you equipped for that? The only road inside the park open is from Gardiner to Cooke City. Cooke City gets the same temps as West Yellowstone. And while a snow coach tour is a fabulous activity, they aren’t inexpensive and they are sometimes full. Any snowmobile tours have to be on clean emission vehicles with an authorized group; you can’t just wander around. You can ski into the park, and I know some who do that, but they stay in the motels, not an RV.

PARK CLOSURES
  • Most Roads Open to Oversnow Vehicles Only, Closed to Automobiles​

In winter, roads are open to primarily commercially guided snowcoach and snowmobile travel only. The road between the North and Northeast entrances is open to automobiles all year. Click "more" to see the current status of park roads.

I went there over Thanksgiving weekend 2020. Check for current conditions...

1. Get what you need in Livingston. Gardiner has a supermarket, 1-2 gas stations and limited restaurants in the winter.

2. Mammoth Hot Springs in the winter and the rest of the park that you can access like Lamar Valley are incredibly beautiful.

3. Cooke City is an excellent drive and you can rent snowmobiles.

We saw wolves, moose, fox, eagles, coyotes, elk, etc. The frosted trees and snow made everything extra beautiful. There were tent campers with temps in the teens. We were not camping.

From what I have read about Yellowstone the vast majority of the roads are closed to "on road" vehicles this time of year. Remember most (all?) of it is at a higher elevation than you are at Grand Tetons.
How does elevation matter?

I am wondering what you plan to do in the park as you will need a snow machine to get to the attractions or pay for a trip by snow tours. Since your question was about road conditions, my first question is how experienced you are at RV travel on slick winter roads? As one who spent 18 years traveling WY in all seasons for a living, I would never consider the route you are asking about with an RV towing a car. If you are determined to do so, at least check with the current road conditions before you start.
Wyoming Highway 22 current conditions
Idaho Highway 33 current road conditions
Note that both roads have slippery, icy conditions with snow packed roads.
Ive been driving this for a while. I already drove passed teton national forest (covered in snow) up to here in grand teton np. I am wondering how the road is like compared to teton NF and NP. Are they plowing the snow off the roads? If so, it should be good.

I grew up in Montana and lived there most of my life. I've seen some very harsh and dangerous winter weather. I'd never try to go to Yellowstone in the winter in an RV. But, I wish you well if you are determined to go there.
I already drove passed teton national forest (covered in snow) up to here in grand teton np. I am wondering how the road is like compared to teton NF and NP. Are they plowing the snow off the roads? If so, it should be good.

West Yellowstone routinely gets temps of -20 to -30F. Are you equipped for that? The only road inside the park open is from Gardiner to Cooke City. Cooke City gets the same temps as West Yellowstone. And while a snow coach tour is a fabulous activity, they aren’t inexpensive and they are sometimes full. Any snowmobile tours have to be on clean emission vehicles with an authorized group; you can’t just wander around. You can ski into the park, and I know some who do that, but they stay in the motels, not an RV.
seriously? Weather.com says it's above 0 F. see picture.

Attachments

• 2D822A4A-7600-409A-B47A-1764FE578E29.jpeg
    2D822A4A-7600-409A-B47A-1764FE578E29.jpeg
    64.8 KB · Views: 0
The only campground open is Mammoth campground, dry camping. Not sure if any of the cg are open in Gardiner with hookups. Cooke city has no campgrounds open, they do have a web cam you can look at. The road is plowed during the day, if wind doesn't come up... I have been on it lots, a lot is in open area, that can get wind blown....

I already drove passed teton national forest (covered in snow) up to here in grand teton np. I am wondering how the road is like compared to teton NF and NP. Are they plowing the snow off the roads? If so, it should be good.
Yellowstone is at a higher average altitude (8,000 ft.) than Grant Teton (6,800 ft.). I doubt that things will be better in Yellowstone.

How does elevation matter?
Higher elevations are colder and often are more likely to have more (deeper) snow.

Routinely does NOT mean ALWAYS. However be aware that temperature changes and other weather changes can happen in just a few hours, and forecasts for these areas are not always accurate, so it would be possible you'd find yourself in -20 or below for several days at a time after being snowed in, in an area in which you only have one way out which is closed, with no way to get more fuel, propane, food, etc.

Don't set yourself up for serious problems. Go to West Yellowstone, if you really want to see the park, and use an RV park there, and rent a snowmobile (they include snowmobile suits, boots, helmet, etc.) which (when I was there) have heated handlebars and foot rests. Or take the tours- they can be outstanding.

Are they plowing the snow off the roads? If so, it should be good.
For that you will have to check the road reports for each state and inside the park the answer is no.

If you don't mind, why did you ask for advice since you seem to not want what gas been given by those of us who have been there many times before?

I was there in early January for a snowcoach tour. I guarantee you it was -20F that day. It warmed up to just above 0 by early afternoon. When I am traveling, I plan for worst case so I don’t get in trouble. Someone who doesn’t understand the difference elevation makes in winter temps in the west might want to listen to those who are trying to help. I have been in YNP twice in the winter, and 12-15 times in other seasons. We have been snowed on in early May and late September. We have been in the park when they closed roads due to snow in both May and September.

However, feel free to do what you want to do.

Back
Top Bottom