Anybody drive a class C and tow a camper trailer behind you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigNormitasca

I've been toying around with this idea lately just for the extra living space.  My thinking is the rv part I'm driving is more the common room and place to have guests and the trailer I'm towing  could be the bedroom. Added privacy for my wife and I and our belongings.  Anyone running. Something similar. what pros and cons have you noticed?  Thanks

Kind of like a tow truck towing a tow truck.  Would love to see a picture of this!

Arrived in a campground a couple days ago, shortly after I arrived a nice looking older 40' pusher arrived pulling what I would guess was a 30' TT. He was definitely over 70' as he hung out of the 70' pull-through sited we were both in.

I've seen it done, towing boats, utility trailers with BBQ and bikes, pop-up tent trailers or very small travel trailers.  Most Class C's are rather limited in the size/weight of what they can tow, but subject to that constraint, anything goes.

X2 on weight limit comments. When considering towing a Jeep it seemed many were not rated plus the engine wasn't big enough.

I have seen Class A rigs pulling a 20-24' TT with them. I always joke that they brought the mother-in-law quarters with them.  Other than looking funny, it's easily doable. 

I used to pull a Stacker behind my DP.  It was 77 feet long and I did it for several years. 

You do need to find longer sites to fit into.

The "BIg Rigs" directory does help to find longer sites.

I also used a "Trailer Toad" to help with the tongue weight of the trailer.

If you do choose to do it with a class C then you might want a Super C or light weight trailer with a normal class C.

I have seen it also; but never asked them why.

When my BIL used his truck c/w camper to tow my cousin's trailer to our reunion they put a +1 sign on the side of the trailer  :D

I have seen it in campgrounds. In one case it was a big family with lots of kids. Another time it was grandparents, kids, and grandkids. As the others have said, be careful on weight. Also most campgrounds will require you occupy two sites.

Saw a Class C towing a travel trailer on the NY Thruway today. Guessing that it was the mother-in-law apartment

HappyWanderer said:
Saw a Class C towing a travel trailer on the NY Thruway today. Guessing that it was the mother-in-law apartment

I wonder if she was in it.  :eek: ::) :-\ :'( ;D  I can just picture that

What about a converted enclosed car hauler.  With a side door, a couple windows and air conditioning, you could easily convert it to living quarters.  Maybe a murphy bed or jackknife sofa.  Unless you wanted a toilet and kitchen, it would be considerably less than a travel trailer.  I've thought about doing it but my class a doesn't have the towing capacity.  My guess is the enclosed trailer, with a small vehicle and a few mods would likely weigh 7-8,000 lbs or more. 

I've been looking at enclosed cargo trailers for behind my Class C.

With a good 5x8 I could remove the motorcycle rack and just haul the trailer with the bike and lots of other stuff. Like having a storage shed on wheels.

Most of my cast iron cooking gear, firepit tripod, etc. would get moved out there. It would give me room to bring the 16' inflatable boat and outboard motor, my canoe, bicycle and more without having to climb over any of it to get around in the RV.

The main thing holding me back is I wouldn't be able to bring the car.

We tow our kid's pop up from time to time. I never gave it a thought that people might be thinking it looked unusual.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lmw
Back
Top Bottom