Anybody installed hardwood floor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

enduroracer

I have a 2000 Coachmen Mirada that I would like to replace the carpet with a hardwood floor
in the front area where there is a lot of traffic.  Does anyone have recommendations on what
type of flooring is best to use?  I believe there is a wood subfloor.  I was thinking of using the
Pergo or Swiftlock products, except I believe these are a floating floor that is not nailed down.
Would it be undesirable to nail or screw a hardwood floor down in a motorhome, since it would
penetrate the subfloor and create the potential for leakage from the underside?  I am just covering
a small 6 x 4 feet area.  Any experience with this and hints would be appreciated.

I'm anxious to hear of experienced advice on this.  I had a neighbor that installed laminate flooring in his TT, and loved it. 

I was once told that given the movement in an RV (rolling earthquake) a floating floor is the only type you want installed.  However, there are an awful lot of high end coaches on the market with wood floors, and I have difficulty believing that they are all laminate.

If the floor could take the movement, I would think laminate to be a great choice.  I had it installed in a large portion of my home, and we love it!  (Kids ya know)

Every unit is totally different and precautions should be observed prior to any nailing or scewing of anything to the floors.  You'd better know the exact location of water, gas, electric and propane and be exact on it.  some of those tanks butt right up to the floor as do some electric wires, as well as water. If puting in Laminated flooring, I would suggest the floating floor and glue the trims on.  Better to be safe than sorry and have a big expesne on your hands.  JMHO

We have installed many coaches using wood- glued down or laminate- floating. Since most of our coaches have 3/4 inch or less thickness of floor material, gluing or floating is the best. You can use floating floors, and add quarter round to the sides to keep it down. If you have a transition such as a step, you can get a stair nose , either wood or metal and glue that down also. Ernie Ekberg, driving a wanderlodge- but if I'm not driving I'm installing wood or carpet

When I researched laminate flooring, many advised that the key factors in selecting a quality product was to insure it was made of a green core material to resist moisture, has an AC3-31 or higher wear rating, was 8mm thick or better, and consisted of a double lock method of construction for installation purposes.

Laminate would be my vote, unless your rig is really high end equipment and you can afford sold wood.

Don't forget- we are installing this in a coach- small area- so the price would not be as expensive as in your home. We installed some real nice wood from Lumber Liquidators. Ernie- wood glued down in my coach

I'd certainly use wood of the two mentioned.  Far Superior. JMHO

We previously owned a Chinook and had pergo (sp) flooring installed in the galley area. We were very happy with the change, would do it again. Now we own a Montanna, too new to make any changes.

Dorothy :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom