ANYBODY LIKE US???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

membershipcamper

Anybody had an opportunity to visit a Membership Campground after their RV purchase?
We really liked the whole concept but was not ready to lay out the kind of money they were asking... Who feels the same?

Never felt the need to pursue it.  We'd rather go along our merry way without adhering to a list of places to go just to feel like we're recouping our purchase price.  It's like people who own "summer cabins" in the east.  They always go to their cabin which seems like living in a cocoon to me.  We'd rather be out discovering what our great country has to offer.  Of course, we might feel differently if we were still working and had a young family or if we were fulltimers. But I doubt it.  The concept just isn't that appealing to either of us.

ArdraF

My in-laws had a membership that they tried to "give" us, but it still included a mandatory $200-300 in annual maintenance fees.  That didn't sound overly "free" to me, and it was a place several hours away where we would not go often.  I helped them post the site for sale online and sell it to someone else instead.

This question comes up all the time. The membership park systems are great if you use them extensively and a financial burden if you don't. The key is that you are making a long term contractual commitment to get the reduced cost camping. If you aren't sure you will go to the parks often enough to make it worthwhile, don't even consider doing it.

We know folks who spend dozens of nights/year in membership parks and love them. Others bought in without much forethought and then found they wanted to go elsewhere instead, but were stuck with a long term contract.  There are also any number of folks who basically use just one park as their summer home and enjoy having the same neighbors and regular social events at their membership park. Different strokes for different folks.

If you do decide to buy into a park system, buy on the resale market rather than direct. Cost savings are often huge, as much as 80% in some cases.

We have a membership with both Resorts of Distinction and Coast to Coast.  We use the ROD about 50-60 nights a year, and have not used the C2C yet.  The up front $ of the ROD was not cheap and the C2C we got for just the transfer fees.  As to the yearly maintenance fees yes they average about $565 between the two.  In 1 and 1/2 years we'll be full timing and at that time yes we'll be using the 2 memberships to the max when we travel.  So right now yes we're upside down in what we pay vs what we use, but once we go full time that will change.  We look at the $'s we spend as an investment in our future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom