Anyone else SICK TO DEATH of Medicare advertisements?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

As if the political ads weren't bad enough. Fortunately we don't live in a "swing state" so I guess it could have been a lot worse. But, the sheer volume of television commercials and mailings pushing one Medicare plan or the other is unrelenting. 

Actually, there is a good thing about being bombarded with the commercials.

When I first began to receive social security I was automatically enrolled in Medicare at about $140 a month.

I have never used it or even showed my card.

I have full coverage from the VA with a 100% service connected disability.

The commercials remind me that I should call about removing the premium and getting additional money each month.

However, the way things get screwed up they would probably just take all the social security benefit away and where would I get my Beer money.

Another thing that I get is two or three mailings a day to refinance my VA home loan, but that is an entirely different subject.

Utclmjmpr said:
Sure getting tired of Joe Montana and his hands flopping around..>>>Dan

By any chance to you mean Joe Namath? Personally I wouldn't buy dog food from that Joe! No idea why they figure he's such a desirable spokesman.  :eek:

Good Topic,

I'm more than sick of those commercials. I do a lot of muting on commercials, especially the stupid ones. Joe has two, one where he doesn't come on at first and then there is one where he is on right away. People get numb to and tend to ignore them or perhaps do as I do. I've got a mute button and I ain't afraid to use it! ;D

Oldgator73 said:
We mostly watch Netflix, Amazon, HBO and Hulu so don?t see commercials.

Something we can agree on....I can't stand to watch TV. Between a lack of quality shows to watch and annoying commercials, it's just a waste of time.

I watch two TV shows. Period. Nothing else....Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune, those ads haven't appeared on them yet.

I absolutely hate commercials and canned laughter. 

Don't even have a TV in our coach, took it out and use the space for storage. 

Even worse than stuffing our snailmailbox every day, for the past 6 months insurance agents have been calling 8-12 times a day to sign my wife up for Medicare. She won't be old enough to get Medicare for another 2 years and they call my phone not her phone. Congress was talking about making unsolicited phone calls illegal. What ever happened to that?

What is even sadder is they make applying for Medicare so complex and with lifetime penalties for applying late so people have to rely on insurance agents to help them. My ex almost got ripped off by a legitimate licensed agent holding a "Free Medicare School to help the seniors in our community". He would have doubled her premiums by selling her separate policies for every feature included in one of the many Medicare Advantage plans. Even though we've been divorced for 28 years I had to help her because our 3 adult children couldn't figure out what Medicare plan she needed and they were running out of time.

Not only Medicare but her local Social Security office told her she didn't meet the requirements to receive half the amount of my Social Security which was almost double her own benefit. I called their office manager then had to send him a link to their national SS website which explained the requirements. He apologized and she is receiving that benefit. That makes me wonder how many other single women are missing out on their money.

Luckily, my trash can is on the way into the house from the mailbox. I enjoy throwing all that $$ away.  :mad:  I treat it just like all the email spam I get.  And, I seldom answer the house phone.  Very few messages left there by spammers.

Utclmjmpr said:
Sure getting tired of Joe Montana and his hands flopping around..>>>Dan

I?ve always wondered how many people get sucked into buying those plans. If you read the fine print it says you?ll be contacted by a licensed insurance agent and they are not affiliated with the government. Then they say you have to do it during the enrollment period. How do they get away with posing to be part of the Medicare program. I guess they are covered because they spell it out in the very small fine print.

What is more even with a national health care system Canadians are being hammered with much the same type of ads... You can't even escape them by crossing the border. (The language is a bit different (name of plan) but the adds are much the same.. I mostly ignore them)

As a licenced General Contractor in Utah, I can not advertise or put my self out there as a contractor unless my licence is active and in good standing.. Yet these clowns can act as third party reps and gouge a commission out of unsuspecting folks that are not informed ,, it must be a lucrative practice as they buy up  huge advertising time..>>>Dan  ( My apologies to Joe Montana )

Tom55555 said:
Right up there with "My Pillow." Good reasons for DVR.
I was just going to say the pillow guy and what about Liberty Mutual with that stupid bird/emu. They must be spending millions on advertisements.

Kevin generally picks up the mail, and he walks past the recycling bin on the way. We get pounds of advertisements in the snail mail. Luckily when we were each eligible for Medicare our previous companies had contracts with a third party advisor that was very helpful. While we each went through different companies, the results were similar - solid, non-biased information. We were lucky.

phil-t said:
Luckily, my trash can is on the way into the house from the mailbox. I enjoy throwing all that $$ away.  :mad:  I treat it just like all the email spam I get.  And, I seldom answer the house phone.  Very few messages left there by spammers.
Most of those we put in recycling, rather than the garbage. It almost makes them useful (except that they shouldn't have done it in the first place, of course).

Luckily when we were each eligible for Medicare our previous companies had contracts with a third party advisor that was very helpful.
AT&T did (and does) something similar. We've found that AON gives excellent advice, including making certain that the plans we choose from are valid in our county.

Think of all the folks employed because of junk mail. The UPS gets probably billions of dollars in revenue from circulars and other junk mail. The companies that print the junk mail are making money and employing people. The recycling company is making money and hiring folks. It?s a win win. And all we have to do is walk to the mailbox and on the way back took the junk in recycling. The ads on TV are easy, just mute them.

Back
Top Bottom