Anyone else SICK TO DEATH of Medicare advertisements?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The companies wouldn't be spending megabucks on that stuff if they didn't have good reason to believe it works. And THAT is the part that is scary to me; people are actually swayed by some of that drivel.
Living in Florida where there is a large senior population and healthcare & insurance a major industry, we get lots of Medicare advertising during the Open Enrollment season.  Even during Jeopardy!

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The companies wouldn't be spending megabucks on that stuff if they didn't have good reason to believe it works. And THAT is the part that is scary to me; people are actually swayed by some of that drivel.

I agree.  The information you need to purchase Medicare supplement or Medicare Advantage is free on the Medicare.gov website, just plug in your information and see what is available to you and at what cost.  These scammers are there to sell you higher cost plans and stuff their pockets.  People should know that only the price differs between plans of the same categories.

lynnmor said:
People should know that only the price differs between plans of the same categories.
I'm not an agent and not trying to sell them but you should check out Medicare Advantage plans (which vary by state). There are many false rumors and misconceptions about Medicare Advantage plans which may have been true years ago but is not true today. If you compare you can get more coverage for half the "overall" cost. There is even a zero cost plan with low copays, deductible, and out of pocket although it excludes drug coverage.

We have a Humana mid range plan which covers everything for one premium of $87/month where we live. In January 2019 my wife had surgery with a 3 day hospital stay. Our total payment was $450 which I couldn't believe because we have never had to pay a deductible. Humana has always paid all their portion within 3 weeks not strung out over several months like Blue Cross always did before I retired.

Advantage plans are basically HMOs. They are great if you like the providers and stay in one area most of the time. While I have heard rumors of regional Advantage plans, but there weren?t any in my area. Since we travel to 15 or more states a year, sometimes more, a restricted location plan doesn?t work for us. It is something to think about if you travel widely.

The first year Chris was eligible for Medicare, I 'naively' signed her up for a Humana Advantage plan. All was well until she broke her leg while we were in Ohio and, subsequent to ER, needed Orthodpaedic help in Ohio and Wyoming. It was all paid out of pocket. I couldn't understand why our primary care physician in California kept saying he couldn't give her a referral.

The next year, I signed Chris up for a Humana Supplemental plan, and all has been well (no pun) since.

jymbee said:
As if the political ads weren't bad enough. Fortunately we don't live in a "swing state" so I guess it could have been a lot worse. But, the sheer volume of television commercials and mailings pushing one Medicare plan or the other is unrelenting.

They always show up this time of year, due to the coming deadline for picking your Medicare plan for the next year.

Besides, Broadway Joe still has to make a living, ya know.

I am always sick of commercials.
I really hate the drug ones for problems I don?t have that show happy carefree people with a voiceover of how sick you could get by using their product.

Tom55555 said:
Right up there with "My Pillow." Good reasons for DVR.

I wish I could post my opinion of the Crack Head who runs My Pillow (He admits it) but alas your monitors would MELT.  So I'll not say more  (you don't think he admits it read the title of his book, DO NOT BUY IT, just read the front cover).

John From Detroit said:
I wish I could post my opinion of the Crack Head who runs My Pillow (He admits it) but alas your monitors would MELT.  So I'll not say more  (you don't think he admits it read the title of his book, DO NOT BUY IT, just read the front cover).

such a forgiving person :-\

We are back home now in the UK, and must admit that we are not missing Joe and the multitude of Medicare adverts that run this time of year. We also do not miss the drug adverts that read out the leaflet inside with all the possible side effects.
We do miss the people and friends we met this year and hope you all stay safe.
Happy thanksgiving to all our American framily.
Hope to see you all again soon.
TonyL

garyb1st said:
Because he did so well selling pantyhose.

OMG-- it took me all these years to get that image out of my mind and here you go bringing all that horror back again!  ::)  :-[

Oldgator73 said:
Think of all the folks employed because of junk mail. The UPS gets probably billions of dollars in revenue from circulars and other junk mail. The companies that print the junk mail are making money and employing people. The recycling company is making money and hiring folks. It?s a win win. And all we have to do is walk to the mailbox and on the way back took the junk in recycling. The ads on TV are easy, just mute them.

That's actually a good point. A lifetime ago I worked at a fairly large P.O. facility and junk mail was always a fall back to keep everyone busy on the sorting tables after the 1st class was processed. P.O. needs all the $$$ it can find these days.

As for TV commercials, I have not watched even a single whole commercial and most for less than 5 seconds (the maximum time it takes me to push the button)  in many years as we never watch anything "real time". We record anything we want to watch (TiVo) and fast forward through all ads. It's almost an anti-commercial obsession on my part. From time to time someone will ask me if I saw such and such commercial. Nope.

Could even care less about watching any of the Super Bowl commercials that so many go gaga over.

Glad you made it home safely Tony. Hope we can get together next time you or we cross the Atlantic.

John From Detroit said:

For the record, I'm glad Mike changed his life around. We all make mistakes and it takes integrity to correct them. I was just saying they advertise a lot and I doubt if Mike has anything to do with that. He's probably just the company's face at this point. Good to see products manufactured in the USA.

With the sad news recently of the passing of Alex Trebek, I am left wondering if his $9.95 Colonnial Penn policy paid out?

Robert K said:
such a forgiving person :-\

Oh I would forgive him and praise him for overcoming Crack save for some of the ...er... stuff... he's pulled since...  Also many reviews of his product are not good.  But to be honest his past is not what offends me. it's his present.  I can not forgive his current on-going actions till he repents and amends.

Back
Top Bottom