Anyone feel like spoonfeeding me Florida RV info?V

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Native Son

I could do the work. Or, you could just download it for me. :)

Have home in Michigan, want to establish winter residence in Florida. Won't buy my Class A before I know what I'll do with it in winter. I work out of Jacksonville.

Looking at things like cost and availability of buying a lot.

Same thing with renting.

Can I just buy one of these run down homes and knock it down and use the water sewage and electric hook ups?

Difference in how crowded, summer v. winter

Other areas around Florida I should know about

That's a good start. TIA for any replies.

Just send us the money and we'll hook you up.

Really? You have Internet access - try Google.

Welcome to the forum. I can't help with most of your questions, but:

Can I just buy one of these run down homes and knock it down and use the water sewage and electric hook ups?
I doubt it, but to be sure you'd have to check with the local governments (city, county, state) regulations and zoning to find what that individual location will allow, and likely you'll have to check out each individual place for yourself.

Probably not. An RV does not qualify as a "residence" under the building code, and most residential lots are not permitted to have a people living on it without a legitinmate residence. There are probably some exceptions here & there.

If storage is a possibility, here is one bit of info. When we bought a Tiffin about a year ago from a lady in the Daytona area, she was paying $200/mo for a covered space.

I started out by looking for RV plots and land. Here is a link to one of the real estate sites I used.

The most common thing is to buy a square in an existing park. I did not want any rules so I looked for land. I found 5 acres to occupy although I did see a couple of listings for acreage that were already set up with an RV pad.

As others have said the zoning is all different depending on county and city/rural. In my county I can get a 1 year RV permit with the idea that I can live in the RV while building a permanent residence. There is also a path to a permanent permit after which you can treat an RV basically like a mobile home. In the case of a trailer you could in theory take the axles off and put it on blocks.

The devil is in the details and you have to really do your due diligence if you plan to buy.

Here is another site I think I looked at...

There is no way we can advise you.
What do you want from a site?
Do you need internet?
Will you be commuting to Jacksonville?
What amenities do you want?
TO MANY VARIABLES for someone to do your work for you.
The choice of where you live is a very personal item
Wow, this is suppose to be the friendliest spot on the Internet for people interested in RVing. OP is merely looking for suggestions. Take a chill pill.

I started out by looking for RV plots and land. Here is a link to one of the real estate sites I used.

The most common thing is to buy a square in an existing park. I did not want any rules so I looked for land. I found 5 acres to occupy although I did see a couple of listings for acreage that were already set up with an RV pad.

As others have said the zoning is all different depending on county and city/rural. In my county I can get a 1 year RV permit with the idea that I can live in the RV while building a permanent residence. There is also a path to a permanent permit after which you can treat an RV basically like a mobile home. In the case of a trailer you could in theory take the axles off and put it on blocks.

The devil is in the details and you have to really do your due diligence if you plan to buy.

Here is another site I think I looked at...

Alright, we have something here. Thank you. I'll go over those links. I was surprised to find next to nothing on Craigslist.

I'm not retired so I can't make a huge project out of clearing land, installing a pad, bringing in electric, water and sewage. All that could be done down the road (I've thought, how cool to build a bath house and then a huge screened family room and just keep adding to your heart's content) but at this stage I have a place to park it on the summer and just need a place, preferably around Jacksonville, where I can use it in the winter.

I love Florida. I've also learned to love Jacksonville with the lighted bridges at night. And, of course, the beach.

I’ll be glad to help you. My consulting rate is $120 per hour. I figure about 10-12 hours ought to be enough to get you the info you need.

I could do the work. Or, you could just download it for me. :)

Have home in Michigan, want to establish winter residence in Florida. Won't buy my Class A before I know what I'll do with it in winter. I work out of Jacksonville.

Looking at things like cost and availability of buying a lot.

Same thing with renting.

Difference in how crowded, summer v. winter

Other areas around Florida I should know about

That's a good start. TIA for any replies.
Well, in Florida, the further south you go in the winter, the more crowded and expensive it gets. In the Northern part of the state, they also have Winter. It has been known to snow, even. Nothing at all like Michigan, though. If you work out of Jax, it shouldn't be hard to establish residency in Florida.
If you handle it right, you can probably build a RV pad on one of those run down properties, but you would probably still have to see that the house can at least sustain a residence qualification, too.

So you want a season campground site near Jacksonville, right? Google is your friend - try this search:

An old friend of mine used to manage the Flamingo Lakes Resorts and that had mostly seasonal sites back then. Don't know about now. And prices in that area have sky-rocketed in the last decade.
So I stopped by the Fleetwood RV park this week. This is what I learned:

4 major RV parks in Jacksonville. Fleetwood isn't necessarily seasonal because it's in the city and a lot of her clientele are worker's. Supposedly nearby St. Augustine has a lot more options.

There is a waiting list but it's not too bad. Under $600/mo plus electric. Actually, it's right by my work so it's definitely a good option.

I still like the idea of owning an inexpensive plot. I don't have a lot of plans to travel the country, I drive a semi. What I've found is skipping Michigan winters, and particularly enjoying Florida winters...heavenly....

Well, in Florida, the further south you go in the winter, the more crowded and expensive it gets. In the Northern part of the state, they also have Winter. It has been known to snow, even. Nothing at all like Michigan, though. If you work out of Jax, it shouldn't be hard to establish residency in Florida.
If you handle it right, you can probably build a RV pad on one of those run down properties, but you would probably still have to see that the house can at least sustain a residence qualification, too.
I love this response. You have my pulse, eg., differences between north and south Florida. Yeah, I wasn't working last winter and hung out in South Florida. Maybe I should consider super yacht? Lol. South Florida was definitely warmer.

So, buying some run down place remains an option I'd just have to leave enough standing to call it a house!? Thinking the park is a more near term option.

I did see on Craigslist an option for an RV plot in Salt Springs. $36K. Now that sounds exactly what I want except closer to Jacksonville. Maybe St Augustine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sinbad
Back
Top Bottom