Anyone have a 1990 John Deer RV. Just bought one. Okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You will want to try every system to see if it works.  The biggest issue you will have is to determine how age has effected all of the parts. 

Chassis wise I'd be concerned with the age of tires, belts, hoses, rust on fuel lines, hydraulic lines, etc.  Cracks on tires, belts, & hoses can mean a potential for failure. 

House wise look for signs of water damage.  Any evidence of leaks most likely means consealed damage & dry rot. 

the list can get mighty if your even a bit paranoid.
The first thing I would check is the date code on the tires. (not just pressure) tires age out before they wear  out on most RV's depending on the size of the tire and the weight they are carrying the sooner they need replacing. 7 to 10 years is the excepted replacement age.
I am going to guess that this is a Motorhome and not a farm tractor towing a trailer.
Next to check is the hoses on the engine (of course you would want to do that on the tractor too) don't forget to check the heater hoses as well. If they let go the engine will overheat as fast as loosing the Rad hose.
next would be brakes and brake lines just to make sure you can get stopped.
I personally don't change the oil in the first few hundred miles of having a new to me vehicle

This list would be regardless of what kind of motorized transport you are planning a trip in.
Have fun.

John Deere was an RV chassis manufacturer for a short while. Their RV chassis business was sold to Oshkosh, which itself was later sold to Freightliner to become the Freightliner Custom Chassis Corp. that we know today. To the best of my knowledge, John Deeer never actually produced a motorhome - just the chassis. It used a Ford gas engine, usually the 460. Several RV manufacturers built coaches on the John Deere chassis, including Fleetwood, Gulfstream, Winnebago and the now-defunct Hawkins. Probably others too.

Gary, thanks for that clarification.  When I saw the subject I wondered because I never heard of John Deere building RVs.  So the next question for the poster is, what is the name of the RV you are buying?

ArdraF

Oh and pictures (seeing as you are picking it up today) we need pictures you MUST take pictures and then post them here for us to see. yep that will make your rig work better :) :)

Dutch Coach-net has a short waiting period does it not? ( I admit I have not looked into that yet) I know the CAA/AAA has a waiting period of 3 days so you don't just have them tow a junker home for you.
The OP here has not given us a lot of time to help. So I hope she will have a safe trip home and then come back and ask many questions we can help with after.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom