Anyone install the 5 Star tune system?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Reading mostly very positive reviews about this 5 Star tune and considering giving it a try to help with the overall shifting patterns of our V10 coach.

I installed it into my 2007 Class C Ford V-10 and it woke the rig up. Shifts improved greatly and overall i was very pleased. No improvement or loss of fuel mileage. Just transfered the system to my new 2018 Class A V-10 and so far it has done the exact same thing for the new rig. the unit feels more peppy but that might just be a feeling that isn't real? I like the system and would buy it again.

stripit said:
I installed it into my 2007 Class C Ford V-10 and it woke the rig up. Shifts improved greatly and overall i was very pleased. No improvement or loss of fuel mileage. Just transfered the system to my new 2018 Class A V-10 and so far it has done the exact same thing for the new rig. the unit feels more peppy but that might just be a feeling that isn't real? I like the system and would buy it again.
Installed it on my 2013 Adventurer and had the same results as stripit. The biggest improvement was we were able to climb most hills in cruise control without have the engine down shift to a screaming 4500 rpm.

Dragginourbedaround said:
... The biggest improvement was we were able to climb most hills in cruise control without have the engine down shift to a screaming 4500 rpm.

That's one of the main reasons I'm interested in this 5Star gizmo. I well remember the first trip we took in our coach when going up a grade in cruise the downshift and resulting loud noise which we called "Bounder ROAR" kicked in!  :eek:

jymbee said:
That's one of the main reasons I'm interested in this 5Star gizmo. I well remember the first trip we took in our coach when going up a grade in cruise the downshift and resulting loud noise which we called "Bounder ROAR" kicked in!  :eek:
Scares the heck out of my DW! :eek:

stripit said:
I installed it into my 2007 Class C Ford V-10 ...

From what I'm reading installation is not that difficult and it can be a DIY project BUT the hard part is finding the OBD connector. I'll have to poke around but it looks like it may be way up and under on the right side of the steering column. Not sure what it looks like but I assume there's only one possibility for a connection with the actual device in hand. May have to hire someone more flexible than myself to search for it!

Your coach being a class C, should have the OBD connector attached to the bottom of the dash at the Ford factory.  It's just us class A guys that usually have to hunt up under the dash for a connector that should be mounted but is just left tied up in the harness by the coach builder.

Old_Crow said:
Your coach being a class C, should have the OBD connector attached to the bottom of the dash at the Ford factory.  It's just us class A guys that usually have to hunt up under the dash for a connector that should be mounted but is just left tied up in the harness by the coach builder.

We have a Fleetwood Bounder Class A. It's never easy...  :)

Sorry, guess I took the second post in the thread to be the first post. 
On my Bounder the ALDL connector was tied to the harness just above the steering column, right behind the bracket that holds the column to the bottom of the dash.  I untied it and screwed it to the bottom of the dash where Fleetwood should have mounted it 18 years ago.

Old_Crow said:
Sorry, guess I took the second post in the thread to be the first post. 
On my Bounder the ALDL connector was tied to the harness just above the steering column, right behind the bracket that holds the column to the bottom of the dash.  I untied it and screwed it to the bottom of the dash where Fleetwood should have mounted it 18 years ago.

Silly question if I may... is this connector easily identifiable amidst all the other wires & boxes in that area? I'll have to crawl around tomorrow and see if I can find it.

If you have a regular car/SUV look on the left lower dash area and you will see the plug in connector. Odd shape and about 1.5 inches long and maybe 1 inch high. Once you see what it looks like you will be hunting under your RV dash for the same looking plug.

stripit said:
If you have a regular car/SUV look on the left lower dash area and you will see the plug in connector. Odd shape and about 1.5 inches long and maybe 1 inch high. Once you see what it looks like you will be hunting under your RV dash for the same looking plug.

What he said. 
I've spent my life working as a dealership service technician.  I was able to reach up under there and locate it by touch because I had a pretty good idea exactly where to find it. 
Mine had enough wire in the harness that I relocated in under the dash to the right of the column.  The connector is formed with a couple of screw tabs, so it's easy to mount with a couple of #8 self drilling screws.

I just bought an ODBII  extension cable  for a few dollars  so I can  plug in my ODBII  reader  without resorting to contortions  each time :)

nfredrick said:
I just bought an ODBII  extension cable  for a few dollars  so I can  plug in my ODBII  reader  without resorting to contortions  each time :)

Ah, did not know such a thing existed-- thanks. Going to be distracted for a couple of day here but will start poking around soon.

nfredrick said:

It took about 10 minutes to relocate my OBDII socket to an easy to reach location.

Attachments

• nlVQFapl.jpg
    nlVQFapl.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 26
I need to research this more.  The last time out west, I couldn't really leave my Class C on cruise control because of the overshifting of the tranny.  This system sounds like a solution for that

decaturbob said:
I need to research this more.  The last time out west, I couldn't really leave my Class C on cruise control because of the overshifting of the tranny.  This system sounds like a solution for that

In a situation like this, I just turn the overdrive off. 
I would like to change the 3/2 downshift point on my trans, but I'm not ready to spend $500 for that yet.

Old_Crow said:
In a situation like this, I just turn the overdrive off. 
I would like to change the 3/2 downshift point on my trans, but I'm not ready to spend $500 for that yet.

I was on the fence myself but after reading tons or reviews from satisfied users-- many extremely satisfied-- I've concluded it will be worth the cost.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom