Anyone painted corner trim?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jey

Hello everyone,

I have some corner trim that?s really ugly, Scratched up and covered in grey caulking. One piece is damaged (bent in) so I?m replacing that one.

However I was going to clean the other ones up and possibly paint them. Mineral spirits isn?t working to get all the caulking off (it looks like they used a generic household caulking it feels like cement) so I?m going to find something a little more powerful.

But has anyone painted their trim before? I?d like to maybe use a spray paint because unfortunately I don?t own a spray gun.

Gizmo100

What type of material is the trim made out of?
Are we talking interior or exterior?

I know you've spent a lot of money already, But what about replacing all the trim. The hours spent trying to clean off the grey caulking plus the risk of causing more damage may not be worth the money your trying to save.

Jey

It?s exterior trim, made out of aluminum. it?s already been removed from the trailer a few weeks ago to get to corner repairs

blw2

yeah, assuming you're talking about the vinyl insert trim....if it's all rather straight runs, like Gizmo I'd probably just replace it.  It's easy to find lots of places.
The prebent curved stuff though.... when I did some work on mine and had to remove the front piece I was really concerned about damaging it when removing and not being able to bend a new one.  I called and verified that I could in fact buy the prebent piece from the manufacturer (through a dealer of course).  I remember thinking the quoted price was reasonable..but I don't remember the number now.  I ended up being able to re-use the old without problem.  Still for the prebent I'd probably try to paint first...just to save the money

Jey

Thank you blw2

The one that?s damaged that I have to replace is one that bends with the curves of the front of the trailer.

The ones that I?m trying to not have to replace are in the rear and come cut and bent over to go over the roof. I just can see that being a disaster trying to replicate

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whatthenobo
Top Bottom