Anyone use this - CrossFire Dual Tire Pressure Equalization System?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jackliz

Howdy, RV Forum Framily.
Our mechanic suggested that we use Dual Dynamics' CrossFire dual tire equalization system on our Wanderlodge dualies.
Here is the marketspeak on this product:
"How Crossfire Works

Crossfire is a pressure equalizing and monitoring valve that is mounted between dual tires. It bolts easily to the lug, hub cap, or drive axle end. Properly mounted, air freely flows from one tire to the other, maintaining equal tire pressure and load distribution."

Do you use this product on your RV? Any recommendations for it? Comments, pro or con are requested.

Thanks,
Liz

To

We had the Cat's Eye system, similar to the CrossFire, but after a few years the hoses showed signs of deterioration.  As a result, I won't use anything that has a flexible hose involved on my tires.  I use short solid extenders on the inside duals and the Pressure Pro monitoring system now.  Also, systems like the CrossFire won't tell you if you have a tire failure, only a TPMS will do that, and if you have a TPMS, you don't need the CrossFires.

I have the cross fire system but not yet installed, I will use protection on the hoses where they pass through the rims,  Weather is a bit warm to be installing this week

I can see some small value in an equalizing system, even with a TPMS. And you save the cost of two wheel sensors if you use a CrossFire or Catseye with a system like the Pressure Pro.

That said, I have the Pressure Pro TPMS and do not use an equalizer on the duals.  Never felt the need for one.

There is another advantage to the crossfire that to me at least is important

When I go to add air to the rear tires (Which you have to do from time to time) I will NOT have to remove the simulators (Wheel covers) and I won't have to fuss to get to the valve stems (I ALWAYS drop that blasted pressure pro sender when doing the inside dual) and that folks, is a major advantage.

The front I will still have to remove the simulators, but at least it's easy once they are off

Of course any extender would work as well for not removing the covers, some better in fact

John In Detroit said:
I have the cross fire system but not yet installed, I will use protection on the hoses where they pass through the rims,? Weather is a bit warm to be installing this week

IMHO you would be saving yourself a lot of potential leak problems by selling the crossfires instead of installing them.

As John said, if you have an issue in accessing your duals' tire valves, the Crossfire could make it easier to air up. On the other hand, a good set of solid metal extenders would do a better job.

The problems with a Crossfires rather than a good TPMS like PressurePro are:
1. You are prone to problems with the flexible extenders.
2. The Crossfires do not give you any information about your steer tires or toad tires.
3. The Crossfires are of very limited help once you put the transmission in drive :).
4. If you change tire pressures, you have to change your CF valving IIRC.

Bernie,
I'll go even further than you did. When you are moving, as you indicated, you get NO feedback from ANY wheel that's losing pressure. Even if you stop and look at them, there is no indications as to which of the duals is losing pressure (remember they equalize the pressure between the two). Their website is woefully lacking in information about installation, calibration and use, and the one and only illustration they show is for a crowned road that appears to have about a 15 degree crown. Don't know about you, but I can't ever remember driving on one that bad. You would be fighting the steering constantly, just like having a 40 or 50 mph crosswind. Sounds like a solution(?) to a non-existent problem.

I will, however, argue the point about flexible extenders being prone to problems. Quality, braided stainless steel extenders, properly installed, will likely not give you any problems - no more so than anything else we may add to our rigs fromtime to time, and they will probably help extend tire life by making it easy to check and maintain those inners. I'm sure some people check the outside tires and just ASSUME the inner ones will be o.k. too! 

OK, being the newby, and knowing nothing whatsoever of which I am talking, I'll ask the stupid question.

I had myself all settled on getting a TPMS. But, - - - .

I am lost clear back, at the start. I figure if the tires equalize, they equalize. So, if I get a sudden fast leak in one dual, I have, in fact, a leak in both duals.? (They are equalizing, aren't they?)

So, rather than one flat dual, as I start down the street, I have two flat duals, one whole side of the MH!? Excuse me, what am I missing, here? I'd rather have the TPMS, and no second flat. Now, I just know my logic is defective, but will someone enlighten me?

Ray D.

Systems like the CrossFire and Cats Eye are designed such that if one tire loses pressure suddenly, it shuts off the equalizing and prevents the other tire from losing pressure too.  None of these are a TPMS and should not be considered as such.  They are only a convenient means to air up both tires in a dual configuration.

Ned: Thanks, that helps a lot. Now, I will start over and hopefully be able to understand the need for this system. Back when I drove trucks, one of my nightmares was having a slow leak on the inside dual, and then a blow-out on the outside dual, unable to carry the load. Yes, I had it happen, once, on a bob-tailed dump with a load of gravel. Thought I was going to roll it, before I got it stopped! Ruined both tires! Lot of money, thirty years ago. I don't even want to think about the cost, today!

OK, funny! I had to dump the load and then, after repairs, load by hand with a shovel, again. The jack went down into the asphalt, and when a plank was added, to widen the footprint, wouldn't lift the truck with the load on. Took a while!

Ray D

Had them for 7 1/2 years on this coach, 3 1/2 years on my last coach. Never leaked & I wouldn't own a coach without them.

Well,,, I tried to install them on my coach this morning (Weather cooporated) however was unable to do it,  My daughter might be able to do it but she's in Las Vegas and I'm in Detroit.

(My hands are too big to work well given the hole I have to reach through to connect the inner hose and I don't want to enlarge the hole)  Oh well... I will get them installed somewhere by someone with smaller hands.. I'm an extra large hand wise (or xxl)

Bump...

John - Still using them?  Or switch out to tpms system? 

I had a flat on inside dually to initiate me into the MH world in the first 50 miles.  Had picked up a screw.  I like the idea of equalizing, I understand the concept and the safety of a flat in one, the eqaualizer shuts down.  Good stuff. 

The example they show with crowned roads I agree is a bit exaggerated, but would the benefit still be there in a lesser situation, and it takes an exaggerated example to demonstrate?  I don't know.

I see the major advantage being the monitor, and the single point of fill and getting both tires to the same pressure.  I had consdered buying the caps that are preset, every time you check pressure you end up losing a bit, so the monitors allow you to check and keep the air. 

TPMS systems are obviously a better way of going, but quite an additional expense.  Set of Crossfires run about 120.  TPMS about 400. 

I also understand the Corssfires do nothing for the front.  You can add the 'Super Single', will run about another 100.  So a true $ example would be 220 vs. 400.  Hmm, double the price, but more than double the technology.

Here is another thought, an equalizer setup for the dualls, with one TPMS sensor.  Convenience of filling and equalizing, and a 100 savings in sensors.  Net effect additional 20 bucks. 

There is no reason you can not use a Crossfire with a TPMS

However as I said, I have  been unable to install the crossfire on my system.  I will have to have it installed by someone with smaller hands than I have.

I'm using the crossfire system in with a pressure pro sensor on the inlet valve. So far no problems. I had to look into the crossfire as the only way to access the inner sensor (outer tire) was to have my wife insert her hand between the tire to install. Needless to say, one morning leaving Mississippi she was not a happy camper.... And you know what they say, If momma aint happy....

John you posted that in 06!  Not that your hands would get any smaller in the intervening years, but you haven't talked your wife into it yet?  Taking offers on the unusable system?

Actually, our pressures are most likely different.  Nevr mind.

I have a 2017 Ram 3500 with stock wheels. The Crossfire won?t fit them due to connecting tube confiruration. Any reccomendations on an aftermarket wheel?

I have one in a duffle bag  Have thought about it but.

If you have a sudden failure of ONE of the duals the Crosfire allows the OTHER one to deflate to like 70%.. Well I had a failure of the inner dual in 2017.. Did not notice it for a long time.. Outer dual held (And that i impressive) o no problem.  Also the tire did not tear up so no 2ndary damage.

With crossfire I'd have been dead on the side of the road.

Back
Top Bottom