anyone winter camp ar Lake Tahoe ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alfapwr

Howdy y'all,

I have the 2nd week off in January and my wife wants to take the TT and the kids up to Lake Tahoe.  Does anyone have any suggestions of campgrounds to stay and things to do ( other than ski or gamble ) while we're there ?

Thanks,

Dan

alfapwr said:
Howdy y'all,

I have the 2nd week off in January and my wife wants to take the TT and the kids up to Lake Tahoe.  Does anyone have any suggestions of campgrounds to stay and things to do ( other than ski or gamble ) while we're there ?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan:

Over the years, I have spent many days at Lake Tahoe -- and North Shore, as well as many trips to the Reno area. Your biggest problem will, of course, be snow. I have been snow bound in Tahoe on a number of occasions. Of course, that's a nice spot to get stuck in -- but if you only have a week, it should be considered.

There are several campgrounds on the Eastern side of town around the intersection of 50 with 89 going North around the West side of the lake. I never liked to stay in those parks because the distance to downtown is too far. There is a city park campground much closer that is nice if you can get a reservation. It is right across the street from the lake -- and they have around 150 or so sites. On the other side (East) of downtown Lake Tahoe is the Zephyr Cove park. It is also a nice campground and across the street (highway 50) from the lake. Here are some web sites or phone numbers:

Zephyr Cove (West and not far from downtown): www.zephyrcove.com
Campground by the Lake (city park campground): (530) 542-6096
Tahoe Valley RV Resort (South of the 89/50 "Y", West of Lake Tahoe: 1 (877) 362-6736

There are other parks, and also mobile home parks that have RV sites. More info can be found in Woodalls or other campground books.

My suggestion would be either the city park (Campground by the Lake) or the one in Zephyr Cove. Tahoe Valley RV Resort is a very large park and "does" have shuttles to downtown.

If you don't want to gamble and you are wise enough to stay off of snow skies,  :) just being in and around Lake Tahoe is a joy in itself. I love to drive all the way around the lake -- just to enjoy the incredible scenery. You can also go to the ski area and take the tram to the top of the mountain for more spectacular views. Forget TV for the most part. All campgrounds have many pine trees to block sat dishes -- and local TV is almost none existant -- unless the park you stay in has cable.

Hope this helps -- and again, be sure to check the weather before heading up the hill on I50. That is no place to be while pulling a trailer. ;) 

Bob Buchanan said:
Hi Dan:

Over the years, I have spent many days at Lake Tahoe -- and North Shore, as well as many trips to the Reno area. Your biggest problem will, of course, be snow. I have been snow bound in Tahoe on a number of occasions. Of course, that's a nice spot to get stuck in -- but if you only have a week, it should be considered.

There are several campgrounds on the West side of town around the intersection of 50 with 89 going North around the West side of the lake. I never liked to stay in those parks because the distance to downtown is too far. There is a city park campground much closer that is nice if you can get a reservation. It is right across the street from the lake -- and they have around 150 or so sites. On the other side (East) of downtown Lake Tahoe is the Zephyr Cove park. It is also a nice campground and across the street (highway 50) from the lake. Here are some web sites or phone numbers:

Zephyr Cove (West and not far from downtown): www.zephyrcove.com
Campground by the Lake (city park campground): (530) 542-6096
Tahoe Valley RV Resort (South of the 89/50 "Y", West of Lake Tahoe: 1 (877) 362-6736

There are other parks, and also mobile home parks that have RV sites. More info can be found in Woodalls or other campground books.

My suggestion would be either the city park (Campground by the Lake) or the one in Zephyr Cove. Tahoe Valley RV Resort is a very large park and "does" have shuttles to downtown.

If you don't want to gamble and you are wise enough to stay off of snow skies,  :) just being in and around Lake Tahoe is a joy in itself. I love to drive all the way around the lake -- just to enjoy the incredible scenery. You can also go to the ski area and take the tram to the top of the mountain for more spectacular views. Forget TV for the most part. All campgrounds have many pine trees to block sat dishes -- and local TV is almost none existant -- unless the park you stay in has cable.

Hope this helps -- and again, be sure to check the weather before heading up the hill on I50. That is no place to be while pulling a trailer. ;) 

Back
Top Bottom