Anza Borrego Desert State Park, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder why Denny's is closing so many restaurants lately.
Denny's are franchises, so it's the individual franchisee that's making the decision to close the restaurant. If I'm going to a sit-down restaurant I prefer to sample a local one rather than go to a cookie cutter chain like Denny's.

I forgot to mention there is boondocking outside of town. Close to a ATV area I think. It'll be on Campendium or one of the other sites.

Permanently closed?

They also closed the Denny's in Auburn a few years ago. At one time, before I lived there, there were two of them in Auburn, but they both closed down. Buildings no longer there--both tore down.

-Don- Reno, NV
Yep. Building’s still there but signs are all gone.

Denny's are franchises, so it's the individual franchisee that's making the decision to close the restaurant. If I'm going to a sit-down restaurant I prefer to sample a local one rather than go to a cookie cutter chain like Denny's.
I am not so picky. I am at the local Wendy's in Reno right now, having my large breakfast Baconator fix for breakfast. Already ate, but their coffee is still too hot for me (but not the old MCD dangerously hot!!!) :).

I find some things at Denny's to be very satisfying. I like their Burbon Chicken Skillet for lunch or dinner, almost anything they have is fine for breakfast.

But I have noticed how good some dishes are dependent on the cook at the time where you go and that especially includes their Burbon Chicken Skillet. But even the worse ones are fairly good.

I liked the loaded veggie omelet there in the Pahrump Denny's the last time I was there. Better than most other places, IMO.

Many restaurants could not survive the COVID thing. Including my favorite restaurant in Auburn that used to be packed seven days a week.

They are now 100% closed. They used to be open for take-out for a few days a week before they put the place up for sale. They put their "for sale" over the old advertisement for such, so it is not open for food to go despite saying otherwise.

Finding other places with good Caribbean food are very difficult to find. I think it's my favorite of all.

-Don- Reno, NV

Last edited:
Yep. Building’s still there but signs are all gone.
Now for a Denny's near Auburn, I need to go around 15 miles west to the one in New Castle. I can see why that one survived. It's right next to I-80 with a sign nobody could miss.

The ones in Auburn could not be seen from anywhere. You had to know they were there in advance. The one I used to go to often had nobody else in there but me! I didn't expect it to stay open much longer. They have too many very good restaurants in Auburn to compete with, such as Awful Annie's and Sweetpeas. They are more expensive, but that isn't much of an issue to most who live in Auburn.

Sweetpea's has the best Chorizo Eggs Benedict I ever had in my life. Not sure why, but it's not on the menu, but locals know about it. And Awful Annies for the best Cherrywood Smoked Bacon Benedict. Either will cost ~$20.00, but well worth it, IMO.

Nothing comes close to either place here in Reno.

-Don- Reno, NV

I never even heard of them.

I wonder why Denny's is closing so many restaurants lately.

-Don- Auburn, CA
There's a Raising Cane's in Flagstaff. Every time my wife and I would go up there the drive through would be backed up out into the street. We went through one time to see how it was.
If you're a fan of chicken "fingers" it's pretty good. In fact, when I was in Phoenix for the company meeting in Dec. I choose Raising Cane's on one of the nights I had to rustle my own grub.

On one of the other nights, I found one of the places featured on Diner's Drive-in's and Dives. Now that was a good burger.

Is the Denny's still in Flagstaff?

-Don- Reno, NV
Not sure, as we weren't Denny's fans. I do know that the breakfast at the Cracker Barrel in Flag was about the worst we've ever had at a CB, but I will admit that the day we went there I was having a bad management day, so it might have just been me.

They are still there. Perhaps I will go out that way this summer or fall. I have always enjoyed Flagstaff. Plenty of things to see & do there. Such as a visit to Walnut Canyon Nat'l Mon:

View attachment 161158
We loved Walnut Canyon. Visited several times when we lived in Flag. Actually went once when we were working in Sedona in summer of '20 but didn't have the time to hike the trail.

Back
Top Bottom