Apple iSight & Powerbook

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newswriter

Please don't think I'm crazy but.... we tow our dingy only a few days a year and we don't have a backup camera on our motorhome, but we do have a rear window. Would it be possible to mount our iSight camera on the inside of the window and use a firewire cable to the Powerbook up by the driver to keep an eye on the dingy? Is there another option?

Newswriter said:
Please don't think I'm crazy but.... we tow our dingy only a few days a year and we don't have a backup camera on our motorhome, but we do have a rear window. Would it be possible to mount our iSight camera on the inside of the window and use a firewire cable to the Powerbook up by the driver to keep an eye on the dingy? Is there another option?

Maybe one of those wireless webcams they have now. I think Logitech has just come out with one.  Try google wireless webcam.

We have a rear view camera, but rarely use it to check on the toad. When we first had our prior coach with a rear window, I used to send the navigator back there all the time to check on the toad, but eventually quit being paranoid about it.

I used to send the navigator back there all the time to check on the toad, but eventually quit being paranoid about it.

Hmmmm, Is that why the use to be navigator took over the driving duties and made you navigator  ;D :D ??? ???

Since you already own an iSight webcam, you can use it to watch your toad.

The difficulty is is the  length of cable run. Firewire is good for 4.5 meters (4.5 x3.25= 14.625 ft), though one vendor claims his cable is good for 10 m. You will need a repeater to gain the cable length needed. And an inverter to power the repeater.

Look in the forum library for articles on how to mount your powerbook. Choices include the Jotodesk, a wood platform sculpted to the shape of the dash, and Velcro straps to hold it to the snack tray on a Country Coach dash.

LOL Ron, that and a number of other reasons.

Only because she didn't want the poopy job of dumping  :)

As Betty Brewer says there are blue jobs and pink jobs.  Dump valves are in the blue job area. ;D ;D ;D  But she did let you drive ALL the way to the dump station and back. ;D

I also have a backup camera, but the first few months it took some getting used to - always seeing that strange black car following so closely. Being high mounted, it did nothing to make me realize that a toad tire had lost air and the tread was completely seperated from the rim and bead. It took another driver's furious honking to do that. And I never noticed a change in the driving characteristics of the coach either. Now that's scarey!

The rear view camera is primarily for backing up.  It won't tell you of trouble with your toad until you can see the smoke after it catches fire.

kkolbus said:
I also have a backup camera, but the first few months it took some getting used to - always seeing that strange black car following so closely. Being high mounted, it did nothing to make me realize that a toad tire had lost air and the tread was completely seperated from the rim and bead. It took another driver's furious honking to do that. And I never noticed a change in the driving characteristics of the coach either. Now that's scarey!

A very good example why a tire monitoring system would be nice.  If you were to mount a couple bright tennis balls on thin pieces of rod and attach them to the mirrors or fasten them across the top so the hung over either side the bouncing tennis ball when a flat occured might give you an indication something was wrong before the fire. ;D ;D

As I mentioned, the rearview camera is practically useless for alerting you of problems with the toad - until you see the smoke(Ned).  Besides, it's much better to watch where you're going than to see where you've been :)  Tennis balls?? Okay........., but you're still watching behind you and they wouldn't be any good at night. A breakaway alarm might be a good idea and could, if not already, be incorporated into the toad brake system, and tire monitors are high on my list of must haves.

I agree Karl tire monitors are the very best way to go.  Pressure -Pro or Smartire both will give pressure read ous not just idiot light and alarm. 

The tennis ball thing is just a work around but light you said wouldn't do any good at night.  But we don't normally drive after dark anyhow. 

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom