Are My Weight Numbers Okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamsend

Hello Forum

I swear, Indianapolis just does not want to let go of me.  First I'm a month behind due to working majority of summer, then I'm 10 days behind because getting out of the home was waaaayyy more than I anticipated, and now I'm 4 days behind due to cracked windshield that failed its repair so had to have entire windshield replaced and well, it's just taking me that long to organize myself and find room for everything in the trailer.

But, I drove the trailer and truck to the CAT scales today and here are the numbers, along with my weight ratings.

CAT Scale Actual weighed (lbs)
Steer Axle  =  3740
Drive Axle  =  4640
Trailer Axle = 8460  (without water or waste)

Vehicle Weight Ratings (lbs per actual stickers)
Steer Axle  = 4400
Drive Axle  = 6340
Trailer Axle  = 10,400

Yes, yes, I know, I should have unhooked the truck from the trailer and got weights so I'd know the tongue weight exactly, but I'll go back and weigh the truck by itself tomorrow without the cargo in the bed -- the scales are just up the street from the campground I've been in while transitioning. 

Trailer dry weight is given as 7450 lbs.  Unloaded truck weight without trailer is probably about 7050 and I probably had about 100 lbs of stuff in the bed.  So, while maybe premature, does an estimated tongue weight of about 1230 lbs seem reasonable?  With a full tank of water, this would be as high as 1300 lbs (but I won't travel with a full fresh water tank). 

What do you all think?  Simple math if you can, cause I'm pooped.  That's one reason I need some second, third, fourth, etc. eyes on the numbers.

Oh, and lift off day is now this coming Sunday!!!  Assuming I get the last of my errands done tomorrow and there are no more surprises.  Better late than never!!

Thanks
Linda

Everything looks great ... the only remaining question is to make sure you have enough hitch weight, at least 10-15% of the trailer's weight.  You'll find that out if you weigh the truck by itself, without the trailer, and subtract it's axle weights from what it weighs with the trailer attached.

By the numbers:  Steer axle = 3740 lbs, rating 4400 lbs = 660 lbs under, or 83% of the limit.

Drive Axle = 4640 lbs, rating 6340 lbs = 1700 lbs under, or 74% of the limit.

Trailer Axles = 8460 lbs, rating 10,400 lbs = 1900 lbs under, or at 81.2% of the limit

Being 20% under capacity on all of the axles is phenominal!

With 1200 lbs (estimated) tongue weight, your trailer actually weighs 9620 lbs (8460 axle weight + 1200 lbs tongue weight).  1200 lbs is 12.5% of the 9620 lb. trailer weight, which is great as long as you don't have a water tank seriously behind the rear axle, which will remove weight from the hitch when full.  Tanks over the axles are neutral, ahead of the axles add hitch weight.  At 8.4 lbs. per gallon, 80 gallons of water will add 672 lbs. to the trailer so you're fine travelling with any amount of fresh water.  Be aware though, a half full tank has the most sloshing force.

Your Gross Combined Weight (GCW) is 3740 + 4640 + 8460 lbs, or 16,800 lbs.  2017 Ford F250s range from 19,000 to 25,700 lbs GCWR depending on engine and rear axle ratios, so even if you have the minimum configuration you're more than fine.

1200 lbs hitch weight is 12.5% of 9620 lbs, which should be fine depending on where your water tanks are located.  As long as the tanks aren't seriously behind the axles the water weight will either be neutral (if the tanks are above the axles) or add to the hitch weight, which is also fine.

Assuming the tongue weight is correct, this should be an excellent handling rig.

Hey Lou
Thank you for your reply.  I thought I was pretty happy with the numbers as well.  The fresh water tank is in front of the trailer axle - actually I think it is centered about 33% of the way back from the very front of the trailer.  I know when the trailer was empty, it towed much better with water in the tank, and I never really noticed any effects from sloshing.  It handled well today, but there was no wind, no hills, no groovy roads, etc.  My Ford "rated" CGVWR is 22,000 lbs, and I tried to plan to be 20% below that.  It looks like I got it pretty close.  That 20% might seem like a bunch to some, but with a gas engine, I lose "ump" as elevation increases, so there will be many times that I'm actually close to the max.  Time and travels will tell.

Thanks again
Linda

Lou saved me a bunch of typing!  Thanks, Lou!

Quite honestly, these numbers are the result of careful planning and research before purchase.  You are right where you wanted to be!

DO NOT take anything out of the truck, or add anything before getting it weighed!  You add an unnecessary variable if you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom