Are RAM Truck dealer "extras" worth it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blaise

Tomorrow, going to complete the purchase of my new 2012 Ram Longhorn 2500 - a beauty of a beast! (see attached photo)

So, now comes the part where the dealer wants me to buy what I assume boosts his profit - extended warranties, etc. He's offering:

•   $1899  Comprehensive Extended Warranty - "mirrors" RAM "bumper-to-bumper",  6 year/72,000 miles
  •   $1699  "High-Tech" extended Warranty, 6 year/72,000 miles: Powertrain, "most" electrical, fuel system, steering, suspension, brake, A/C, heating, cooling; roadside assist, rental reimbursement (this is just shy of the "Comprehensive" plan)
  •   $899    "AutoSaver II" rust prevention - electric gizmo -probably "cathodic", some say this doesn't work, others swear by it
  •   $499    3 year tire and wheel
  •   $599    5 year tire and wheel
  •   $499    Paint Sealant - "protects from acid rain, tree sap, bird droppings, fading, peeling & other environmental factors"
  •   $499    Fabric/Leather guard - "protects from stains (coffee, soda, milk, foods, oil); conditions to  protect from peeling, cracking, fading""

Personally, I have always thought this stuff to be snake oil, but I haven't bought a new vehicle for a while, and never a truck this beefy and expensive.

So, any opinions on this stuff?

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

Blaise

Attachments

• 2013-03-16_17-48-39_644.jpg
    2013-03-16_17-48-39_644.jpg
    490.4 KB · Views: 47
The only thing i would consider is the extended warranty.  Everything else is 50%profit for the dealer.  And i would offer him maybe 60% of his asking price for the warranty

Snake oil.  Don't buy any of it. 

Unless you live in the rust belt and you're gonna drive it through heavily salted roads, you don't need any extra corrosion protection.  Paint Sealant at $500???  REALLY???  Wax it three times a year with ______  and call it good.  Tire and wheel?  Gimme a break.  Fabric and Leather guard at $500???  Buy a can of Scotchguard, or just don't eat a foot long chili cheese dog in the cab and you'll be fine.  My 24 year old truck doesn't have any stains on the seats....and I DO eat in it.  I think it got one once....came out with soap and water, no $500 protection required.

As for the extended warranty, you will get an offer in the mail a few months before the factory warranty expires offering to extend it....and it will cost less than what the dealer is peddling.  Up to you if you buy it then....by then you'll have a very good idea what the truck's track record is on dependability. 

Wear your snake boots!
All extras to improve dealers bottom line. I don't participate in any of that crap, including the extended warranty.  8)

I believe evry truck buyer should determine what is needed on every truck purchased. The dealers like to add evey option that the buyer will pay for.

For Many years I have never purchased a new truck off the lot of a dealer. I always check what the truck will be used to do and order the new truck specifically equiped as I want. This applies to semi trucks. light trucks, tractors, machinery, etc. This is one way to get what we need for the best cost. I am willing to wait for delivery. I believe this helps with maintenance costs also since we only have maintenance and repair costs for what we need. Nothing can go wrong with something that costs for repair but what we don't need.

Here is a question: How hard did the sales person try to "Push" you into buying those "Extras".. The harder they push, the more commission they make because the more PROFIT the dealer expects on that kind of thing.

Blaise said:
  •   $1899  Comprehensive Extended Warranty - "mirrors" RAM "bumper-to-bumper",  6 year/72,000 miles
  •   $1699  "High-Tech" extended Warranty, 6 year/72,000 miles: Powertrain, "most" electrical, fuel system, steering, suspension, brake, A/C, heating, cooling; roadside assist, rental reimbursement (this is just shy of the "Comprehensive" plan)
  •   $899    "AutoSaver II" rust prevention - electric gizmo -probably "cathodic", some say this doesn't work, others swear by it
  •   $499    3 year tire and wheel
  •   $599    5 year tire and wheel
  •   $499    Paint Sealant - "protects from acid rain, tree sap, bird droppings, fading, peeling & other environmental factors"
  •   $499    Fabric/Leather guard - "protects from stains (coffee, soda, milk, foods, oil); conditions to  protect from peeling, cracking, fading""
Why would you consider buying and extended warranty (really just insurance, not true warranty) when the factory warranty is in effect?

Autosaver II.. likely snake oil, unnecessary. I lived in Ohio for 10 years and did nothing to protect any of my vehicles, in fact my last Chevy has a 10 year warranty on rust through anyway.

paint sealant - this is a coat of wax, I thought for sure dealers had stopped doing this a long time ago.  I can't believe they're trying to sell this to you..

fabric/leather guard - that's very expensive for scotch guard, which I'd bet is exactly what they use.

To me everything you list is simply money for the dealer and provides no useful benefit to the end user.  I'd pass on all of that.

NO.
I got undercoating and spray in liner.
I do plan to get an exteneded warranty, but going to wait until my factory warranty is just about up.

Derby6 said:
NO.
I got undercoating and spray in liner.
I do plan to get an exteneded warranty, but going to wait until my factory warranty is just about up.
Seems the various extended 'warranty' companies get your information courtesy the manufacture.  So you'll have plenty of warning that the warrnty is about to expire, probably way better offers than the dealer as well.

Like when I bought my own truck I got sick and tired of all the warranty limitation and expense. So I became my own warranty station after 50K miles and now at 211K miles and still rolling. Matter of fact rolling better now that it did brand new. Make more power than new 6.7L, better MPG's, and less failure points because I've taken care of ever one of them.

$1899  Comprehensive Extended Warranty - "mirrors" RAM "bumper-to-bumper",  6 year/72,000 miles
  $1699  "High-Tech" extended Warranty, 6 year/72,000 miles: Powertrain, "most" electrical, fuel system, steering, suspension, brake, A/C, heating, cooling; roadside assist, rental reimbursement (this is just shy of the "Comprehensive" plan)

Remember this warranty the dealer will use the same failing parts that failed the first time. You don't have a choice to upgrade to better quality or aftermarket.
  $899    "AutoSaver II" rust prevention - electric gizmo -probably "cathodic", some say this doesn't work, others swear by it

LOL... It's called washing your truck. I live in Idaho where they use tons of salt for the highways and after 11 years there is still no rust on my truck. All I've done is wash and wax it. But the washing part you have to clean everything not just the paint. Up behind the bedsides, on top of the fenders, etc.

$499    3 year tire and wheel
  $599    5 year tire and wheel

This will prove to be more headache than its worth because the dealer won't honor it but you have to fill a claim through the tire manufacture. Been here done that.
  $499    Paint Sealant - "protects from acid rain, tree sap, bird droppings, fading, peeling & other environmental factors"

Once again its called washing and waxing...

Fabric/Leather guard - "protects from stains (coffee, soda, milk, foods, oil); conditions to  protect from peeling, cracking, fading""

Never really seen a use for this. After 11 years of ownership I realized there is only one good solution and that is seat covers. Then you can remove them and wash them if you spill your drink or food. I typically eat at home or in the RV. I might have a bottle of soda in the cab but alway with a screw on top. No fountain drinks just too risky to spilling.

My salesman, who is a "Commercial Fleet" salesman for the local dealer didn't even try to pass these off to me.
He knows me too well.
My new 2012 2500 comes with a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty.  If it's going to break from being poorly made, it will probably do it within 100,000 miles, I'd think.

I don't usually keep a truck beyond 100,000 anyway, but with this new diesel RAM, I may double or triple those figures!

Had three previous RAM trucks, and only had 2 waterpumps replaced.

Oh..did I say I believe in preventive maintenance? ;D

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The "finance guy" at the dealership was very disappointed that we bought no extras at all.

They kind-of shroud the price of their extended warranty stuff by showing you in large print the monthly payment with that stuff included. The actual price - $2200 for the "deluxe" option - was in small print all the way over to the edge of the page.

Never ever negotiate the price of anything based on payments... that's the oldest trick in the book. 

I am looking to buy a 3/4 ton probably a Ford 250 or Ram2500 - I don't care for GM much, but this will be my first one.  In your experience how much 'wriggle room' on the price is there on something like 2006-07?  Looking to pay cash, but prices vary quite a bit so I presume different markups.  Also how accurate is Kelly's as a guide.  Any advice appreciated

I would strongly recommend getting a report (or more) from Consumers Reports, the information they provide was invaluable last time I purchased new.

Woodpigeon,if you're looking at '06-'07 Ford 6.0,do your homework.Not a good engine.GP

gp-az said:
Woodpigeon,if you're looking at '06-'07 Ford 6.0,do your homework.Not a good engine.GP

No, that's just really not true. The Navistar 6 is an excellent engine, that really needs to be understood to be owned.

Actually, once everything is understood, it is the best buy rolling in tow vehicles.

Rick

R. J. Barton said:
No, that's just really not true. The Navistar 6 is an excellent engine, that really needs to be understood to be owned.

Actually, once everything is understood, it is the best buy rolling in tow vehicles.

Rick

:eek:I'm a Ford guy and won't say the 6.0 is completely worthless, but it definitely is not the 'best buy' either.... ::)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
natalihu
Back
Top Bottom