Are those of you Class B/C's who bought the Mercedes diesel set up over the Ford

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SissyBoyFloyd

... happy you did or do you question your choice? Or are there things you wish you had done different? Was the extra money for the Mercedes Diesel worth it, now that you have owned it? Do any of you feel like you would go with the Ford if you had to do it over? Your likes and dislikes would be appreciated.

In the Class a diesels I know people like the fact that the engine is in the rear and generator in front, but in a small Class C (24-26') that isn't the case. So is the extra cost of the diesel engine and diesel generator worth it in many other ways?

SeilerBird said:
You sure ask some strange questions. Are you writing a book?

No, I am just an visitor from a far off galaxy wanting to learn what I can about you earthlings.  Nanu Nanu, Shazbot.

Perhaps an unusual question to ascertain peoples comparison to the  Ford 53 chassis to the Mercedes Sprinter chassis.

I currently have one of each so this would qualify as an uncommon answer.

Originally I purchased a Winnebago Reyo 25Q.  That it was a Mercedes was incidental to the suitability of size and floor plan.  For any rational purpose of discussion, it is a class A, albeit a small one.

Eventually it became clear that the chassis sensor suite was unreliable.  Check engine light and wheel sensor issues after every other trip gave us zero confidence.  I'm not going into detail as these issues are sufficiently detailed elsewhere.

A Fleet wood Flair 26 D in fresh used condition became available locally and I bought it.  The Winni was at the Mercedes dealer for extended service and I was weak.

The house quality between the two is NOT comparable in any way other than floor plan.

I am certain that the previous owner bailed on this unit out of frustration because of the build quality of the house.  These issues were fixable (and have been).  The chassis is crude, heavy, and old tech.  All things that I find appealing.

There have been no drive-ability problems except for the well known steering quirks that have very good after market fixes.

So, is one chassis better than the other?  As of 2015, in my opinion, no, depending on your tolerance level.  The Mercedes handles better, over all, and with better shocks and roll control can be superb.  The current new Mercedes sensor suite has had time to mature and I would expect that basic reliability has improved to the point that I might take another chance.

The Ford F53 has been less trouble some from a perceived reliability point of view. 

All issues can be repaired if the owner truly wants it.  If the owner insists on making the manufacturer warranty pay, maybe not in his/her lifetime.

Honestly, I think either chassis is a good choice under perfect conditions.  As of 2015 the edge would go to Ford.  The mileage range with an 80+ gallon tank is very appealing over the range of a 25 gallon tank of deisel in the Mercedes.  The generator in the Winni was propane and compared to the Flair gasoline unit is inferior.  Ride quality goes to the Mercedes, hands down.

Did "the extra money" for the Mercedes buy better quality?  In an abstract way, yes.  Did it buy better reliability?  Hell no.

Does the Mercedes diesel engine out perform the V10?  It is very, very good, but depends on how heavy you tow, as to how happy you will be.  Neither vehicle will be the slowest one on the road on steeper grades.  This will be a personal decision.

At high altitude the Mercedes will probably out pull the V10, and get good MPGs doing it.  On downgrades the V10 will manage deceleration much better  than the deisel because of the V10 throttle plate giving superior engine braking. 

Both engines willingly run to red-line, safely.  The deisel is usually quieter up there.  Get a set of ear plugs 'cause the V10 runs loud and proud.  A sound I would have loved to hear when I was a kid.  Now I have to turn my hearing aid  down.

Phil

Thanks Phil, that was just the sort of thing I was wanting to find out.  I was under assumption that the Mercedes would have had a diesel generator.  I was curious to which of the generators were best, less noise, etc., and if any of them are truly quiet?

I have camped near both Diesel and gas Onan generators in dispersed camp conditions.  The Diesel's run slower and slightly quieter than the gas units.  Under those conditions neither is very loud.  The Diesel will smoke a little at start up and  during heavy load but  since people in those camp areas share common interest in camping style, none of it  is objectionable.  Those with the "entitlement attitude"  aren't usually found in those areas.  The closer the campers are to one another, the louder the generators seem to be, so camping in organised (dense) areas requires some consideration of others.

The Diesel generator was an option from Winnebago
at the time we purchased, but we bought off the floor.  If it were available, I would have gone for it.  Even though the Sprinter has a relatively small fuel tank, a Diesel generator would run a very long time, and refueling is much easier than seeking a propane dealer.

Are any of the offered generators truly quiet?  Compared to the newer Honda units....a qualified no.  Noise inside the coach is lower than outside.  Vibration will be present.  These are very subjective judgements and so you must find a way to make direct, in person judgements.

Phil

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom