Are travel trailers / 5th wheels cheaper than motorhomes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Isaac-1

I know that there is a general attitude that people should buy travel trailers instead of motorhomes because they are cheaper, however in a world where a new 1/2 ton pickup truck costs over $50,0000 and even a used 8-10 year old 3/4 or 1 ton can cost in this same range, is it still true. Sure I know some base models half tons are still under $50,000 these are also not the trucks most people will want to buy as a tow vehicle, particularly if they have kids, and need a back seat area.

Sure I know there are pop up, tear drops and other small trailers that don't require a pick up truck to tow, but for the purposes of this conversation, lets assume that someone is looking for a self contained RV with indoor kitchen and a dry bathroom, which would likely be in a 25+ ft motorhome or a 23+ ft travel trailer or any 5th wheel, lets also assume buying used all around is ok, but say we have to stick to something reasonably modern, likely with some years of service life left in it, lets say up to about 20 years old.

Here is my thoughts on the matter: Often people use the one less drive train to maintain when making the argument for a travel trailer, and this can be true, if they want to drive a large pickup truck as a daily driver, but for a lot of people a large pickup truck does not work well as their daily driver, for any number of reasons ranging from fuel economy, to parking limitations, at which point the argument toward trailers starts to break down. Though even if we go to the middle ground on this one and assume a person will accept a pickup truck as their daily driver, though it otherwise might not be their first choice, you should still look at the economics, as pickup trucks tend to cost more to operate all around than more fuel economic SUV's and other cars, they cost more to buy, often cost more to insure, cost more to buy and cost more to maintain. Statistics say they average person in the US drives about 15,000 miles per year (varies depending on the state, etc.), also it is fairly well known in RV circles that the average motorhome sees about 5,000 miles of use per year on long term average, which is backed up if you look at average used motorhomes listed for sale and calculate out the age vs mileage. So we can safely say that a pickup truck used as a daily driver as well as an RV tow vehicle will see about 20,000 miles per year, or 4 times the annual mileage on the vehicle compared to buying a motorhome and towing a daily driver car, or even a dedicated cheap light weight TOAD car.

Lets assume a useful reliable service life of 150,000 miles for either the towing truck or the motorhome, as they both tend to have a very similar drive train. At 20,000 miles per year the $50,000 new pickup truck would hit 150,000 miles in 7.5 years, at 5,000 miles per year it would take our theoretical motorhome 30 years to reach 150,000 miles, what this means without calculating in all the fine details of insurance, added fuel cost to drive around in a large pickup truck, etc. is that if one can find a circa $50,000 10 year old 50,000 mile motorhome, it will still have a theoretical 20 years of service life left in it before hitting the 150,000 mile mark. Sure that is optimistic, but even if we cut that in half to 10 years, it is still ahead on money very buying that $50,000 pickup truck, and we have not even talked about the cost of buying the trailer to tow behind that truck yet. If we assume a $22,000 trailer in the 23-27 ft range, which seems to be the going asking price for a mid level 3-4 year old trailer, the math gets even worse. For $72,000 one can find a fairly nice 15 or so year old 40 ft diesel pusher motorhome with 2 or 3 slides.

What are your thoughts? I know there are lots of complexities in the math, insurance, fuel economy, need of a daily driver, etc.

I think you are over complicating the matter. Most will buy whatever suits their needs. We picked a travel trailer for no financial reason whatsoever. We like to explore which can be very difficult when your rig is 30 or 40 feet long or longer. We park the trailer all set up and go exploring with a 21 foot long truck. The same reasoning works for a fifth wheel.
We have friends that travel to golf. They have a motor home because it works for them to use as a base at each course. Others pick a motorhome with a toad but the vast majority of these choices are due to usage and not financial reasons.
Some may wish for a class a but have a class c budget so that would be their choice as would a travel trailer vs fifth wheel.
Then there are those that choose small not for a cost basis but depending on usage. Using local, state and some national parks the older sites tend to be smaller so a 35 foot trailer would keep you from enjoying many of them. Same with a big coach.
There is also the group out to impress and go in way over their financial heads to show off what they have. These will eventually sink and we will be blessed with another poorly maintained used RV.

What are your thoughts?
My thoughts are that not everything is about money. Just buy what you want and can afford. Kinda like Martian says above.

I like the way I do it, tow nothing, just carry a small electric motorcycle on the hitch of either my small Class A or small Class C. But my way will not be the best way for countless others and vice versa.

-Don- Reno, NV

No trailer vs. motorhome comparison or math involved for us (other than "can we afford it?"). I have almost always driven a pickup and will for the foreseeable future (started with a 4 cylinder, regular cab, short box Chevy S10 and six trucks later I'm piloting a 3500 diesel crew cab long box). A trailer is a perfect fit for us. I might not be driving as big a truck as I have now if we did have a larger trailers but I'd still have a truck. What will the retirement years bring? Who knows?

I agree about the right tool for the job choice, and while I have never owned a travel trailer, I have seriously considered buying one, even going to the point of making an offer on a couple of used ones over the years. I also understand about owning a truck already and it being a big nudge towards getting a trailer, I have an old F250 myself that I use sometimes for hauling stuff on the weekends.

That was not the point I was trying to get to with this topic, my point was instead the common perception that on a budget of XYZ, a travel trailer will be cheaper than a motorhome.

My proposition is that if one does not already own a pickup truck or other suitable larger tow vehicle, then a trailer larger than a pop up or tear drop, may be more expensive than a motorhome if one is forced to buy a towing package equipped pickup to go along with it.

Assuming apple to apples - model year, length, weight, and like amenities - a MH will always be much more expensive than a 5th-wheel, and much, much more expensive than a TT.

We're opting for the TT. We can afford a MH, but then we would need to tow a vehicle behind us anyway. Me being a truck guy, a truck always has been, and always will be, my daily driver so why not just get a house we can pull along behind us. I have maintained a CDL for most of my adult life, so I know what it's like to tow a 5th-wheel/gooseneck trailer and for me a TT is more maneuverable than a 5th-wheel...length being equal.

Now, in the future we may go for a smaller TT but the models we are looking at now all have a ~26'-28' box, with a total length of 30'-32'. Anything bigger and it would become cumbersome to get into RV spots and not take tight corners well.

Last edited:
If you're in a MH you're likely towing another vehicle, if you're in a fifth wheel or TT, you're towing it with your other vehicle. It's not really either/or, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. Of course too, a lot depends on what type fiver, TT or MH you have in mind.

Your math assumes an owner who is camping only a few weeks each year. A full-timer like me is likely to drive more than 5,000 miles each year, depending on his/her travel style.

I can also see issues with your math in using a pickup truck as a daily driver when not camping. My son has a big trailer and pickup truck, but his daily commute to work is only about 2-3 miles per day. I know others who drive 30-40 miles each way to work, and that is a big difference.

Overall, I agree that a trailer and pickup are more cost effective for someone who stays a long time in one place, and for someone with a smaller trailer, where the pickup does most of the daily runs.

However, there are a LOT of other considerations in making this choice, as we all know. For example, a lot of trailers do not have enough storage for full-time travel. And a lot of motorhomes spend the vast amount of their lifetime sitting in a storage lot.

The answer to all of this is, as usual, IT DEPENDS!!

It works out, at least for my use, a class A has been the most cost effective RV solution. Mine's a 30' 2005, acquired for $25K. I don't think I could buy a roadworthy trailer and pickup of any age with similar facilities (length, features, payload, condition) for that amount of money. I think that's more a side effect of the new and used pickup truck market, even "beaters" command large dollars. With my RV I basically bought a large pickup truck chassis and the RV came for free.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM

I agree everyone's situation is different, however when it comes down to it, one can buy a functional 10-12 year old motorhome, and a similar age functional small town car for less than the price of a new pickup truck, and circa 3-4 year old mid range travel trailer.

I bought a cheap $2,500 TOAD car just so we did not mess up my wife's $42,000 Jeep dragging it around the country about 2 years ago. Try showing me any reliable sub $7,500 pick up or other heavy tow vehicle, for that matter try showing me one under $15,000, given I get offers of over $10,000 on my 23 year old beat up F250 crew cab with nearly a quarter of a million miles on it.

p.s. google says a 2023 F150 gets 21 mpg average combined mileage, my Toyota Yaris TOAD gets 38 mpg, on our most recent circa 3 week trip we put nearly 400 miles on our TOAD out exploring

My son has a big trailer and pickup truck, but his daily commute to work is only about 2-3 miles per day. I know others who drive 30-40 miles each way to work, and that is a big difference.
I'm not seing the difference, other than time spent behind the wheel, and, of course, MPG. My 2500 is very comfortable to drive, so 5 miles or 50 miles is of no consequence to me. And MPG is something I never think about, or I would have bought a VW.

Some of those TT's and fivers you have to admit are really nice. There was a guy and his family in a site just down from us in a brand new 36' TT with outdoor kitchen and the works he was pulling it with a jazzed up new Tahoe, towing pkg and etc, he said he could easily do 75 but holds it at 70. Those big fivers are like hotel suites.

Sure those crew cab 2500 and 3500 trucks can be nice to drive, but they can also be less than nice to park when you have to deal with in cities when you have to deal with downtown parking garages in larger cities, etc. again this is a been there done that. When I had a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup as my daily driver for work, I had to go over to downtown Houston about once ever 4-6 weeks, and every time I was there with their parking garages, and 3/4 size parking spaces it was an awful experience, I can only imagine is is worse in cities that are not in Texas where pickup trucks are half the vehicles on the road.

We were in a similar situation when we decided to go full time. I was not interested in paying a ridiculously high price for a gas guzzling pickup. We don't do payments on rolling stock so were limited by the cash we had on hand before the house sold.
We bought a 25 year old, 34 ft motorhome with 40K on the clock for $11,000. It is a gas Ford 460 which meant it is easy for me to work on. We spent $3,000 on upgrades like a modern converter/charger, new coach and chassis batteries, new mattress, modern microwave, LED lighting, and things that we just preferred as everything original worked.
We flat tow a 1999 Jeep we bought for $3400 and I upgraded the suspension and new off road tires as we like to explore remote places where most of the time a pickup won't fit on the trails so it does double duty as a rec vehicle and a run around town rig and still gets 15 MPG.
I have less than $20k in the whole thing and could replace it all tomorrow with a newer coach and TOAD for the same or less especially given how RV's and vehicle prices are crashing and will continue to do so for a long time.

Sure those crew cab 2500 and 3500 trucks can be nice to drive, but they can also be less than nice to park when you have to deal with in cities when you have to deal with downtown parking garages in larger cities, etc. again this is a been there done that. When I had a 3/4 ton crew cab pickup as my daily driver for work, I had to go over to downtown Houston about once ever 4-6 weeks, and every time I was there with their parking garages, and 3/4 size parking spaces it was an awful experience, I can only imagine is is worse in cities that are not in Texas where pickup trucks are half the vehicles on the road.
I honestly can't relate, although I can imagine the problems. I've been driving pickups for 40 years, and other than that it's 18" longer than my last 1500 I don't find any issues finding a parking space. But then, I haven't parked in an inside parking garage in probably 25 years.

Last edited:
I know that there is a general attitude that people should buy travel trailers instead of motorhomes because they are cheaper,
What are your thoughts?
After more than 50 years of RVs, starting with pop-up's, then travel trailer, then class A twice and downsized back to a travel trailer, and having spent 12 of those years with the class A as our only home, it has been my observation that people who choose an RV based mostly on the cost are very unlikely to to be happy with that choice for very long. Because trading RV's is probably the most costly part of owning a them it is far more foolish to buy something that isn't what you and your spouse want than it is to spend more and get why you will enjoy.

We had our Duramax diesel pickup when we bought the Class A (and still do). Could have gone either way but never even considered a TT. As others have mentioned, pretty much a matter of personal preference. For us, we just feel a lot less cramped in the A, like the view better when on the road, appreciate being able to move around more comfortably, and having our Towed van along with us also has a number of advantages-- to name just a few considerations.

Other friends have TTs and are equally happy with their decision for different reasons.

Jymbee, I agree it is a personal decision, that is why I started this thread, as it seems when people come here asking for advice on getting their first RV, if their budget is below a certain range it seems they are almost always given the advice to buy a pickup truck and trailer, as it is the cheaper option, and costs less than maintaining and insuring a motorhome, etc.

Buying a new class A is out of reach for many. And most class A owners started RVng in trailers and moved up to it once they figured things out. So it reasons that the advice given to new comers is to start with a less expensive trailer.

Pedro Dog, that is my point, is it really less expensive when you compare the high depreciation rate on motorhomes, vs the high cost of a towing package equipped pickup truck these days. One can get a fairly nice used motorhome with a lot of life left in it for the circa $75,000 someone is going to spend on a pickup truck and mid range 25 ft travel trailer.

p.s. right now there are 33 Gas Class A coaches listed on RVtrader for between $60K - $75K that are under 5 years old, and another 18 that are less than 10 years old in the $40-$50K range.

p.p.s. I just did a search on car gurus for a mega or crew cab half ton pickup with towing package, under 85,000 miles, and less than 10 years old within 150 miles of where I live, and the vast majority were priced in the $35K-$40K range, with only a handful priced below $30,000

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom