Are We Overweight? Need Advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
gnehls said:
Not to worry, Carl, we knew what you meant!

Well it is a public message.? ?Can't have folks from Minnesota wandering the byways looking for Lake Cuyamaca north of Santa Barbara.

By the way, hints for backing a trailer:? ?

1.? Grasp the bottom of your steering wheel.? Then move your hand in the direction that you want to move the back end of the trailer.? ?Have your lookout tell you which way the back of the trailer needs to go.? ?

2. Deputize only one lookout.? Station them on the outside of the turn where you are blind.? Use your mirrors on the inside of the turn and the lookouts instruction on the outside.?

3.? Women actually do a better job of backing unless a male has done an awful lot of backing.? ?Women tend to listen to instructions better.

Carl Lundquist said:
Women tend to listen to instructions better.

Oh my, you must have lived a cloistered life Carl. Since when do women ever listen to instructions, especially from their husband?

Okay, you two. You are too funny!

We'll BOTH be practicing backing up the trailer this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. I'll even be honest about it. (Let's hope that rain they're talking about comes and goes as promised.)

Gnelhs,

Regarding your question, " are we overweight,"  please send your height, weight, and whether you are a large framed person.  Only then can we give advice as to whether you are overweight.  ;D  ;D

OOPS, maybe I misunderstood your question.

Your friend,
JerryF  ;D

JerArdra said:
Gnelhs,

Regarding your question, " are we overweight,"  please send your height, weight, and whether you are a large framed person.  Only then can we give advice as to whether you are overweight.  ;D  ;D

OOPS, maybe I misunderstood your question.

Your friend,
JerryF  ;D

Gnehls:

Can you tell Jerry weighs about 150 lbs sopping wet?

Well, despite the miserable weather, we hooked up the trailer and practiced backing up and parking. The tips you gave were invaluable. It's not as scary as I thought it would be. I must admit my husband is better at it than I am, but I think I give better directions than he does.

We also bought a Sherline scale. Nice product! Played around with it a lot. Moved things around. Took things off. Interesting to see how it all affected tongue weight. I'm over on tongue weight, but not on GVWR or GCWR (by a long shot). The tongue weight is a bit over 12% GVWR. I have an anti-sway bar. I'll drive slowly with the trailer. Anyway, I'm done worrying about it. It's time to go someplace and have fun!!

Ginger  ;)

Well in California, the fastest legal speed is 55 mph for any vehicle towing anything so you are going to be slow.? ?

The Sherline scale is a neat little product.? ?Oddly enough, I first ran across it when I worked for a A/C maintenance contractor.? They used the identical product for weighing and balancing aircraft.

If you do not have a weight distributing hitch system (spring bars attached to the ball mount) got one.? ?Reese products turns out one for lightweight units -- see them at www.Reeseproducts.com  (click on the link to get there).

Have fun folks. Maybe we'll see you in Anza (winter) or Chachuma (summier and fall).

Regards,

Carl L

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom