Arizona 89A

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larrypowellnc

I've heard horror stories about Arizona 89A from I-40 to Sedona.  Last time I went to Sedona I took I-17 south and picked up 179 north but I was towing then.  I drive a 25' (bumper to bumper) class C and will not be towing this trip.  Can I comfortably take 89A from I-40 to Sedona? 

I have done it multiple times. IIRC there is one really curvy area  and a few 7% grades. This occurs around the Oak Creek National forest area. There was a major reconstruction on the road in 2017 which was widening and passing lanes. It should be all done

Last time I drove it  was in 2016.  I was towing a 26' travel trailer.  I will not do that again.

As I recall, there is one or two sharp U turns and going South, you will approach them going downhill.  Just take it slow on the downgrades.

I agree. At 25 ft, you are only five feet longer than a normal pickup truck. You should have no problems. Stop at the scenic lookout at the top of the hill before you go down.

larrypowellnc said:
I've heard horror stories about Arizona 89A from I-40 to Sedona.  Last time I went to Sedona I took I-17 south and picked up 179 north but I was towing then.  I drive a 25' (bumper to bumper) class C and will not be towing this trip.  Can I comfortably take 89A from I-40 to Sedona?
I was there last August to the tourist trap of Sedona. And then on to Dead Horse Ranch State Park in Cottonwood. On the way to Sodona, perhaps 15 miles north,  I boondocked at a RV park that had nothing (no hookups of any type) but was very scenic with signs to not run over the snakes crossing the road.  Cave Spring is the name of the place. Nice long hiking trails near by, espcally across the road (mostly up the hill). It's half price with the federal  senior discount park card. Generators okay. From there, I went on my electric motorcycle to visit Sodona

Anyway, at some places 89A is ridiculously  curvy with some curves doing almost a full 360?  The speed limit is so low in those areas that I could easily stay up with the traffic in my 24 foot RV. A longer RV wouldn't be too much more of a problem. I like the very low speed limit on parts of that road. Makes it rather safe and our RV's don't slow down the traffic much, if any.

BTW, if you're going west on I-40, do not plan on going on Route 66 from the east. The road is closed for a about a year to rebuild a few  bridges.

I was planning on going that way, but no reasonable way to get there from the east.

BTW, I just now noticed this is an old message I am replying to. Well, I will post it anyway because the info. is still good.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

DonTom said:
BTW, if you're going west on I-40, do not plan on going on Route 66 from the east. The road is closed for a about a year to rebuild a few  bridges.

I was planning on going that way, but no reasonable way to get there from the east.

Seligman and Route 66 from there to Kingman are alive and well, I drove it east to west last month.  I had lunch at the funky roadside hamburger stand in Seligman, then went on Route 66 west to Grand Canyon Caverns.  I was going to stay at their RV park but it was sold out due to a motorcycle rally, so I continued west on Route 66 to Kingman.

As the article points out, the town and Route 66 are easily accessible from the next I-40 exit two miles west of the closed one and there are lots of signs on I-40 pointing to the detour.  It takes you to the west end of Seligman, not really out of the way at all.

I'd hate to have someone miss seeing this quirky town or travelling on Old Route 66 (a fine road) due to bad information.

Lou Schneider said:
Seligman and Old Route 66 are alive and well, I drove it from the east to west last month.  I had lunch at the funky roadside hamburger stand in Seligman, then proceeded west to Grand Canyon Caverns.  I was going to stay at their RV park but it was sold out due to a motorcycle rally, so I continued west on Route 66 to Kingman.

As the article points out, both are easily accessible from the next I-40 exit two miles west of the closed one and there are lots of signs on I-40 pointing to the detour.  The open exit takes you to the west end of Seligman and Old Route 66 is fully open from Seligman to Kingman.

I'd hate to have someone miss seeing this quirky town or travelling on Old Route 66 (a fine road) due to bad information.
There was no detour, or at least no signs mentioning such when I was there last August. So I assume things have changed since then.

-Don-  Auburn, CA

Back
Top Bottom