Arlen Ness passed away

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kdbgoat

This probably doesn't mean much to the RV community, but is sad news for us old school Harley folks.
Rest in peace bro.

https://jalopnik.com/arlen-ness-legendary-custom-motorcycle-builder-dies-a-1833560468/amp

It's not likely many people here will know who Arlen was.  He was a talented bike builder.

I always like the digger style Sportsters he used to build.

RIP Arlen.

I think there's more old Harley riders here than you might think, and maybe fewer than there used to be.

I liked the long and low look of his bikes, but I preferred to kind of sit "in" the bike instead of perched on top of it.  My 2 favorite movie bikes would have been the "Billy" bike from Easyrider, and Mickey Rourke's bike off HD and the Marlboro Man.

Build a '68 Triumph Bonneville chop and a '74 Sporty chop back in the day, and they both came out looking kinda like the Billy bike.

Ness also made the strongest kicker arm for Sportsters that I found. I broke three others that were supposed to be strong. Used his on three Sportsters and never had another breakage.

No surviving photos of the Triumphs, but here's my '74 Sporty and my wife's '72 Sporty.

Attachments

• bigdaddy.jpg
    bigdaddy.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 30
  • mthrlns.jpg
    mthrlns.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 26
I was in the 2010 Grand National Roadster Show with Arlen,  (Great guy to hang with)

I won "Best Overall Motorcycle", "First Place". and "Best Detail" with this Triumph I built for a customer....

here's a pic.

Attachments

• Brown Sugar.jpg
    Brown Sugar.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 32
Sad.  He was a very talented bike builder.  I liked his low and sleek style of builds.

Mike

Old_Crow said:
I think there's more old Harley riders here than you might think, and maybe fewer than there used to be.

I liked the long and low look of his bikes, but I preferred to kind of sit "in" the bike instead of perched on top of it.  My 2 favorite movie bikes would have been the "Billy" bike from Easyrider, and Mickey Rourke's bike off HD and the Marlboro Man.

Build a '68 Triumph Bonneville chop and a '74 Sporty chop back in the day, and they both came out looking kinda like the Billy bike.
I'm one of the few that liked Billy's bike better than Cpt. America,  and the Marlboro bike was the inspiration for my first Shovel,    I did clear coated raw metal tins with flames. 

here's some of my favorite Arlen Sporties...

Attachments

• 7b558ce70ba482a2e5fa3278610f32a9.jpg
    7b558ce70ba482a2e5fa3278610f32a9.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 26
  • b8d25d77729be0851486e0d2cee36502.jpg
    b8d25d77729be0851486e0d2cee36502.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 21
Old_Crow said:
I too had a 67' 650 Triumph Trophy single carb. Wrecked it after car made a left turn in front of me and a buddy and stopped dead in the street thinking we were a truck as the headlights were spaced wide apart. When I hit her in the back door of her extra large station wagon the bike was totaled. It was cheaper to replace with custom parts than stock so Arlens parts became a big part of my rebuild

Growing up here in the Bay Area, I followed his talents as he has been a big part of the Custom community since I was a young man. His work could always be seen at the Oakland Roadster Show. His new shop was right down the street from were I worked, well not really all that new now,  in Pleasanton is a museum upstairs from the parts counter, something to see if you like customs. He would show up at some of the local poker runs from time to time, always very personal when guys/fans would walk up and say hi to him. Back in 2000 I built a 81 Shovel Head, several Ness parts were used on it. I would get paid on Friday, cash my check and swing by his shop and buy another piece. Took awhile since he was about the most expensive for anything billet and chromed, but pure quality. Sadly I sold that bike last year, I never rode it and wanted someone to enjoy it as much as I had. Plus my wife hated sitting on the back, It had what is referred to as a pee pad for her to sit on, it was all about cool looks for that bike, not comfort. She will only ride on my other bike a Roadglide, very comfy. RIP Brotha, you were a Master at what you did,,,Gregg

Both my Steel Rides, still have/riding the Touring Bike

Attachments

• Harley 2.jpg
    Harley 2.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Bikes 1.jpg
    Bikes 1.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 19
Back
Top Bottom