Articulated RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueblood

A guy in Canada says he is going to release a new style RV. Here is his web site http://www.geocities.com/splitrecreationalvehicle/

Interesting Leo. May be one way to add granny quarters to an RV  :)

Presumably it goes around corners easier? Maybe someone who has driven an articulated bus can tell us.

Tom said:
Presumably it goes around corners easier? Maybe someone who has driven an articulated bus can tell us.

Yes, Tom, an articulated coach does make going around a corner a whole lot easier.? I've been a transit operator for almost 30 years and have driven all sizes of buses during that time.? My favorite bus is our newest which is an articulated 60 foot hybrid (diesel/electric) coach.? As with all 60 foot articulated coaches, they make turns (corners) much sharper and therefore easier than a standard 40 foot bus (a 40 foot coach is "standard" in the transit industry).? An articulated bus can almost make a turn in the space that a 30 footer might use because, of course, it bends in the middle.

I notice more and more over-the-road coaches being used by charter bus companies and private commercial carriers, so I figured it would just be a matter of time before a RV is offered.? It'll be interesting what kind of demand these units will command.

--'rocco

Thanks 'rocco. I just knew there'd be someone here who's driven one of those buses. How easy is it to reverse them?

Tom said:
Thanks 'rocco. I just knew there'd be someone here who's driven one of those buses. How easy is it to reverse them?

Hi again, Tom.? It's a hassle? ...more so than a semi because the "tractor" is so much longer than a semi's.? You'll need much more room to maneuver than you would with a semi's tractor or a pick-up and a 5th wheel when backing-up an "artic coach."

One thing I didn't understand is their statement on their web site that says:? "...or pulling a tiny little car behind a motohome,
?are about to become a thing of the past!!"? Why would this coach eliminate the need for a toad???? I don't get it.

Also, I suspect a rear engine configuration would be more suitable than a mid-engine design.? Our newest transit buses have a rear engine configuration which is much more efficient and makes more sense.

--'rocco

I did see what I thought had been an  articulated city bus that had been converted to a MH.  Looked strange.  I never got a photo of it nor did I get any information other than what I could see.  It had three A/Cs on top as I recall.  They did do a good job on the exterior from what I saw. It was about 3 or 4 years ago that I seen this conversion.

scirocco22 said:
One thing I didn't understand is their statement on their web site that says:  "...or pulling a tiny little car behind a motohome,
?are about to become a thing of the past!!"

Here's a quote from one of the web sites they link to, which might explain their thinking:

"The rear section can easily be left behind at the campground, while the front section takes off for day trips."

*bonks self upside the head*  ...ooops, I didn't read that part!  If the two parts can be unhooked, then I see several problem areas.  If you were to keep it in an articulated coach configuration that doesn't separate, the practicality for the casual recreational user would be limited.  Maybe an upscale version for a sports star or entertainment figure who might be worth at least several million would have use for such a version but for the common recreational user a one piece coach and a toad seem like the most practical solution.

--'rocco

As for an articulated RV turning "sharper", it's not a panacea. There is still considerable "lag" in any turn - ask any trailer owner!  I'll grant, though, that articulation helps some and is no doubt great at 60 feet and probably somewhat helpful at 45 (the limit for Rvs in most states).

This design is essentially a cab & trailer rig with (apparently) access to the trailer while underway. Without a toad, you have to drive half your motorhome to the grocery store or tourist attraction.  It does not strike me as a good tradeoff for a small improvement in turning ability.  If you are one of thoise who objects to fifth wheels because you don't want to "drive a truck", this articulated design probably is of little interest.

I have an acquantance who built a similar unit for his pulling tractor and needed parts.  Of course he didn't have all the frills listed in the ad.  His "tow unit" provided sleeping quarters, kitchen, bath and living room and the towed unit hauled the tractor and tools etc.  Very neatlooking rig but he sold it and went back to a semi.  I think I saw another similar unit only longer on the Soo Line rail.  I think they called it a train!

Tom,

Prevost made a the H60 for a while (an articulated over the road bus). There was at least one made into a motorhome.

ken

Tom said:
Interesting Ken. I didn't see one of those.

Tom,

Holland America Westours had 17 of the Prevost H5-60 coaches in Fairbanks. They did the Fairbanks to Skagway run. Had a galley in the back and even had a hostest onboard. They were a good coach but were never built to handle the roads we ran them on. Had lots of electrical problems with them. The MCI coaches we had were MUCH more reliable. We naturally stocked parts for them so if a Prevost motor home needed parts and contacted Prevost they told them to contact us. Quicker than trying to ship them the part from the lower 48. I had a customer stop by for parts that saw the H5-60s sitting in the yard and mentioned that a friend of his in Texas had converted one into a motor home. They did have a shorter turning radius than the forty foot coaches. The rear axle steered.

Rear axle steering, even just a degree or two, has a remarkable effect on turnng radius and on maneuvering in tight space. In my opinion it  would be far more desirable than articulation on rigs in in the 40-45 foot range.

Tom said:
Hi, Tom!

Stu drove an "artic" for a number of years -- but I see you have already received good info, so I won't drag him in from the pool to ask questions.? ;)

Hope all is well! We're enduring an extended period of unusually hot weather -- hope it's better where you all are!

Hi Judy, nice hearing from you.

Don't drag stu out of the pool, but maybe he can add his two cents worth when he comces into the a/c.

Tom said:
Hi Judy, nice hearing from you.

Don't drag stu out of the pool, but maybe he can add his two cents worth when he comces into the a/c.
He pretty much agrees with what has been said. Although it may be easier to turn a corner in some instances, someone who isn't experienced could easily drag a parked car with him or her. It would be tough to maneuver on narrow streets and some parking lots. He also referred to the challenges of backing up.

If I could get him to use the computer, I'll bet he would add more.? ;)

Back
Top Bottom