Artificial Intelligence: What's your level of concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jymbee

Seems the more one learns about AI, the more you realize there is a lot to be concerned about.

I hear people that are not concerned at all make analogies along the lines of, "No big deal... same thing happened with [insert tech advance]". Perhaps they're just not paying attention. This is not comparable to anything that we've seen before. Nothing.

I think the concern is not intelligence, but autonomy: The degree to which AI becomes autonomous, and in what capacities. Is AI sentient? I don't know that I can speak to that in any qualified way. When AI is capable of being fully autonomous, and sentient, well, that is concerning.

My big short term concern is AI being used to manipulate public perception, voting, etc. We already have demographic targeted media and advertising, imagine how much worse that can get even with current AI tech being directed to target people individually vs a demographic group and try new things on them until it gets the desired results.

I think the concern is not intelligence, but autonomy: The degree to which AI becomes autonomous, and in what capacities. Is AI sentient? I don't know that I can speak to that in any qualified way. When AI is capable of being fully autonomous, and sentient, well, that is concerning.
AI is on the precipice of the capacity to write its own code. Ummm, that's what you do when you think, (if this - then that) Remember what Kyle Reese said, " It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with and it absolutely will not stop ever.... "

A.I. is like a black box. Ask it something and you get an answer. But, no one knows how A.I. arrived at the answer. As Skookum noted, the big issue is allowing too much autonomy. Here's a simple hypothetical: At a street intersection, there are way too many pedestrian injuries and deaths. Tell the A.I. to eliminate that from happening to pedestrians walking across the intersection. A.I. finds and implements a system that solves the problem. Minor problem is that the autonomous A.I. software sets up a laser that kills any pedestrian that attempts to cross the intersection. Problem solved --- sort of. So, back back to the drawing board, and tell the A.I. to solve the problem without harming any person. Guess what crazy thing the A.I. did next. --------------- You get the picture.

Last edited:
I am worried at the point that they can reproduce without command,,,( Or in spite of a command ) then we have a huge problem..>>>Dan

I am worried at the point that they can reproduce without command,,,( Or in spite of a command ) then we have a huge problem..>>>Dan

Same issue worries me about people - LOL...

The issue is Power and more importantly who controls it. The struggle for power has existed since before we came out of the trees and became cave dwellers.

Who knows? Perhaps an advanced AI lord would have complete impartiality and be a better ruler than any human could ever be.

Now open the pod doors, HAL.

Wait! Don't we already have it?
mark-zuckerberg-of-course-im-not-a-robot-captcha-read-this-for-me-please.jpg

When I see how easy it is to mislead people with concocted stories & images on social media, I really worry about how much worse it will get when mryiads of people use the power of AI software like ChatGPT to throw out creations that are indistinguishable from fact without fairly deep analysis. Whether for fun or for nefarious agendas, AI puts tools in the hands of people who here-to-for would have struggled to produce credible fake news or "evidence".

Beyond that, I see major ethical crises occurring regularly as AI tools are used to perform what used to be creative work, whether art, news articles, engineering, or entertainment. There will be lawsuits of all sorts as old intellectual property law is applied to scenarios that were unimaginable even a decade ago. The present AI isn't yet intelligent - it's extremely capable copying & merging and editing from the huge, worldwide, digital database. It can copy style and form, image as well as text, and do it in such a seamless manner that it is indistinguishable from the real thing. All done by a simple request from any individual with a smart phone or PC.

We will get better politicians, when we get better voters!
Are you saying you are the better voter? Everyone has their own base opinion that dictates how they vote. I probably don't think the next guy is a better voter. But does that make me a better voter?

Are you saying you are the better voter? Everyone has their own base opinion that dictates how they vote. I probably don't think the next guy is a better voter. But does that make me a better voter?
I would definitely say I am a better voter than those 60% of a particular political party who believe that the 2020 election was stolen.

Back
Top Bottom