Artificial Intelligence: What's your level of concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two sets of crooks will get AI working for them (not counting politicians otherwise it would be three).

1. Marketing/Sales will find out how to watch every inquiry you have and you will mysteriously (and without recourse) have popups galore about every subject you queried or accidentally spelled in a text message/e-mail/browser.

2. Criminals will figure it out (they already have, of course) and make us believe that investing in crypto coins is a real thing and take all our money.

So, since there is no such thing as security - hang onto your underwear as it will be stolen by the criminals and the marketeers will sell you new pairs demanding crytocoins for payment (which they have already removed from your bank account anyway).

The next war will all be financial (as we are seeing in action using primitive tools such as banks and sanctions).

Learn how to purify water, make fire and set small animal traps - Oh, and start walking South and let the migrants enjoy the snow.

Last edited:
To sets of crooks will get AI working for them (not counting politicians otherwise it would be three).

1. Marketing/Sales will find out how to watch every inquiry you have and you will mysteriously (and without recourse) have popups galore about every subject you queried or accidentally spelled in a text message/e-mail/browser.

2. Criminals will figure it out (they already have, of course) and make us believe that investing in crypto coins is a real thing and take all our money.

So, since there is no such thing as security - hang onto your underwear as it will be stolen by the criminals and the marketeers will sell you new pairs demanding crytocoins for payment (which they have already removed from your bank account anyway).

The next war will all be financial (as we are seeing in action using primitive tools such as banks and sanctions).

Learn how to purify water, make fire and set small animal traps - Oh, and start walking South and let the migrants enjoy the snow.
Investing in crypto is actually real, all you have to do is get people to want something of which you're in control of the supply. 100 years ago the notion that a diamond means you love your girlfriend/fiance/wife/significant other would have been laughable. The other night on 60 minutes there was a piece on an artist who sold an ordinary vacuum cleaner mounted on a shelf for millions, he explained it had many meanings, one was it could represent a woman's womb ( no really!). I must be awful dumb because I'm nearing 70 and never one time did my vacuum cleaner ever make me think of anything but try not to suck up a penny. He sold a polished stainless steel rabbit for over $100,000,000 because whoever paid that considered it an investment.

You're too late. Asimov thought of the same thing back in the '40's.

The Three Laws of Robotics are a set of rules devised by science fiction author Isaac Asimov. The laws were introduced in his 1942 short story “Runaround” (included in the 1950 collection I, Robot), although similar restrictions had been implied earlier stories1. The laws are as follows:

1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm.
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the First or Second Laws2.

Interesting discussion in light of the fact that I've recently been re-reading my collection of Robert Heinlein books from high school. Certain of his tales even have computers who have become self-aware and have transferred this awareness to actual flesh and blood bodies. At least his "androids" (although he doesn't use the term) are mostly young, good-looking women.
Robert Heinlein - one of my all-time favorite authors. Always remember...TANSTAAFL.

Two sets of crooks will get AI working for them (not counting politicians otherwise it would be three).

Nothing new here, this is already happening/happened. But you are correct, nothing is truly secure in a digital world, your digital security just has to be harder breach than the next closest person, and you have to be quick to respond when stuff does get stolen.

I know at some point AI will become a big problem for people who do not do EXACTLY as they are told [I will be one of them]. I don't worry about it, though. When you already know what is coming and you know where you stand, fear doesn't affect you.

Ever know someone with a very high IQ but no common sense. Does that mean that particular highly intelligent person isn't able to think? That is how I look at AI. It might be able to solve every imaginable problem, but will it also be able to think and if so, does that make it sentient? Does AI observe? Will it have feelings and emotions?

Will it be able to understand how animals think, communicate and perceive things? And what about plants? Do vegitibles think or have feelings? Do they communicate with other plants. For example, one plant letting all the other seeds know that they should not put down roots on this particular piece of land because the human that does the watering is a moron. ;)

We think we know because we have observed and deduced. But would AI be able to tell us how many ways a virus can mutate? Or better yet, how it was going to mutate? Apparently we can't. So how would we program a computer so it could?

Personally I don't think there is much to worry about when it comes to AI taking over the world. If it were really sentient, after considering all the possibilities it might just want to end its own life. :ROFLMAO:

Will it be able to understand how animals think, communicate and perceive things? And what about plants? Do vegitibles think or have feelings? Do they communicate with other plants. For example, one plant letting all the other seeds know that they should not put down roots on this particular piece of land because the human that does the watering is a moron. ;)

Interestingly enough I read an article that suggested certain trees communicated. It was observed that when giraffes would start eating the leaves of this particular tree it would emit a smell/pollens/whatever that would render the leaves less appetizing.

They then noticed that similar trees in the immediate proximity would start emitting the same even though they were currently unmolested, leading to the hypothesis that this was also used a warning to other trees of the impending danger.

Things that make you go, hmmm.

On that thought..

Perhaps we humans are First-generation intelligence, organic-based. Each generation of intelligence creates the next generation. Generation two, which is upcoming/developing, is non-living, and is machine-based. Perhaps intelligence has solved the issue of using organic hosts to perpetuate itself, which have the unfortunate problem of dying. And maybe sentience is an organic concept which wasn't as useful as we once thought. At the core, intelligence is organization against natural disorder.

Wouldn't that throw a bunch of people for a loop. I guess it would give a lot of credence to evolutionary theory.

Just joining in the crazy discussion here

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

I mentioned the series Mrs. Davis earlier.

I am also watching a newer series "Class of 09" - based on an FBI class of 2009 it covers three time frames - past where they cover the time in class (2009), present where they cover what the agents are currently doing and what specialties they have moved to (2023) and the future (2034).

Basically it's kind of like the Minority Report. In the future one agent has brought together the vast database of FBI files and turned it over to AI to target suspects. Of course the AI has gotten out of control and people are being prosecuted basically for future crimes despite assurances during the AI build that "agents will always have the final say."

It started off with the ideal that computers are "racially" blind in finding suspects so it would be completely unbiased and fair but midway through the season something has gone drastically amiss...

On that thought..

Perhaps we humans are First-generation intelligence, organic-based. Each generation of intelligence creates the next generation. Generation two, which is upcoming/developing, is non-living, and is machine-based. Perhaps intelligence has solved the issue of using organic hosts to perpetuate itself, which have the unfortunate problem of dying. And maybe sentience is an organic concept which wasn't as useful as we once thought. At the core, intelligence is organization against natural disorder.

Wouldn't that throw a bunch of people for a loop. I guess it would give a lot of credence to evolutionary theory.

Just joining in the crazy discussion here

😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Our bones, cartlilage, organs, hair, fingernails, sense of touch, hearing, smell, sight and including the ability to reason are really only mechanisms developed over millions of years to defend the only thing about you or I that matters, our genes. If AI which skipped the hard part, evolutionary development, acquires the senscient capability for reason, there's no "reason" it wouldn't take whatever steps are necessary to insure it's own metaphorical gene pool is dominant. Wasn't that Skynet's objective?

Here is one story to get the conversation going. Just realize that this was a simulation, not a real deal.

View attachment 164955

That's why artificial intelligence is the incorrect title for current generation. This is simply autonomous decision making.

The result is not because of the (air quote) "AI" but bad programming. Although maybe not. If the priority is "Survival of the humans" then eliminating 1 human to save the species is logical - i.e. killing is justified.

Human generals make the same decision - I will send X number of troops to die to save Y number of citizens,

AI is on the precipice of the capacity to write its own code. Ummm, that's what you do when you think, (if this - then that) Remember what Kyle Reese said, " It can't be bargained with, it can't be reasoned with and it absolutely will not stop ever.... "

Our bones, cartlilage, organs, hair, fingernails, sense of touch, hearing, smell, sight and including the ability to reason are really only mechanisms developed over millions of years to defend the only thing about you or I that matters, our genes. If AI which skipped the hard part, evolutionary development, acquires the senscient capability for reason, there's no "reason" it wouldn't take whatever steps are necessary to insure it's own metaphorical gene pool is dominant. Wasn't that Skynet's objective?
Did you get that from AI?

Would there be some clue to tell AI or ya just have to guess?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom