Artificial Intelligence: What's your level of concern?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is a favorite, insulting and flawed talking point without any facts to back it up. Actually it can be disproved too. When you need your ac diagnosed and fixed, your leaking toliet or plugged up one repaired, as an example, do you ask to see higher education degree diploma before allowing them anywhere near your equipment? For sure there is nothing wrong with asking for certification. But people rarely ask out of the box about their education credentials.

If I read IBtripping right these are not the people he's talking about. He's talking about people who lack self esteem and look to denigrate other people to compensate; in this instance he's using education as the barometer.

Just remember what that "A" stands for... it stands for "artificial" don't forget that. "Artificial" mans "counterfeit", not real, a replica of the real thing.

In China they just call Chinese Food, Food.

When super computers talk to each other they just call it, intelligence. I am sure they consider the smartest humans about the same way we consider the dumbest rednecks...

While I agree that AI isn't a life form, it can be programmed to be faster/stronger/smarter than humans while mimicking human-levels of autonomy and sentience--more to come on that.

The implications for defense and warfare are the concerning parts, and the reason the media and talking heads in government have taken notice are because of the developments over the last year or two with ChatGPT.

A lot of people think warfare is still nukes and bombs and invasions - and it is, as is formal declaration of war. There's also other warfare going on, undeclared, and AI is likely to be a huge asset there.

On the other hand, AI may be the last thing to care for some of you, or even save your life. The uses in healthcare are groundbreaking.

there is a huge difference between AI doing instructed tasks (written by a programmer) on your printer or some financial webpage and AI deciding on its own what to do. That is what is dangerous is when it becomes self aware and writes its own instructions.

there is a huge difference between AI doing instructed tasks (written by a programmer) on your printer or some financial webpage and AI deciding on its own what to do.
But, "deciding what to do" is at the heart of many common AI applications. It's far beyond "instructed tasks" which is why there is so much debate as to where it's all headed.

If I read IBtripping right these are not the people he's talking about. He's talking about people who lack self esteem and look to denigrate other people to compensate; in this instance he's using education as the barometer.
You can be intelligent and get all the advanced degrees being taught at all the institutions without being truly smart to exist independently on your own. Of course some folks feel superior and will belittle others solely because they know that they may not have similar framed wallpaper hanging on their walls.

Of course I am a big fan of Mike Rowe's program that sprang up showing some mighty smart folks making the world work while making a ton more money than some of the folks with degrees passed out in exchange for 100 grand and more.

There are a lot of those so called smart folks with advanced degrees unable to pay back their loans for the degrees now begging and expecting plumbers and electricians and even hamburger flippers without one to pay their loans back.

There are just some things that AI will never be able to achieve or replace the human being.

Last edited:
You can be intelligent and get all the advanced degrees being taught at all the institutions without being truly smart to exist independently on your own. Of course some folks feel superior and will belittle others solely because they know that they may not have similar framed wallpaper hanging on their walls.

Of course I am a big fan of Mike Rowe's program that sprang up showing some mighty smart folks making the world work while making a ton more money than some of the folks with degrees passed out in exchange for 100 grand and more.

There are a lot of those so called smart folks with advanced degrees now begging and expecting plumbers and electricians and even hamburger flippers without one to pay their loans back.

There are just some things that AI will never be able to achieve or replace the human being.
Not exactly sure what your getting at, but a person with a Bachelors will make exponentially more money over time than another with a only a HS Diploma.

Not exactly sure what your getting at, but a person with a Bachelors will make exponentially more money over time than another with a only a HS Diploma.
That's just not 100 percent true . We can surely compare the skilled working class numbers, coupled with regional differences taken into account. But contrary to popular belief, not everyone graduating from high school needs to be anywhere close to any public or private college or university or should be signing on to the costs that only benefits the institutions.

Many of the youth have never been taught budgeting or balance a check book or even pay for their own phones. But they surly like money falling out of the sky, and never asking where it comes from or worry or wonder how they will have to pay it back. Thats never discussed.

A high number of colleges are requiring their students to take remedial high school courses, driving them further into debt for what? Student loan debt is a ball and chain around your neck for decades sometimes. In today's climate, trash is being taught and money is being thrown away for stuff that has nothing to do with any core book sense.
better stop now,,

Unless they are like my friend and many others in this world that tend to make it without even a HS deploma. My friends father was in the construction business most of his life and so was my friend, but when his father died, he was pennyless, it was all mortgaged property values and looked good on a resume but thats all. My friend dropped out in the 9th grade and stuck with the trade and learned to build a house from the ground up on his own until his father died. Then he started his own business and now he is a multi millionaire with the cash and investments to prove it.

Its rare but it does happen.

People with a bachelor's degree earn about 66 percent more than their peers with only a high school. There are always outliers, but the data doesn't lie that, on average, those with higher education earn more than those with only a high school degree. However, I've worked on something called CTE (Career and Technical Education) which promotes post high school career/technical training. I and CTE educators consider CTE as a form of higher education. We used to call it vocational education, but CTE includes much more. There are 2 year programs that train high school graduates (often community colleges) for high paying vocations. Arts and media courses are very popular, as are CTE courses in information technology, agriculture, and health.

. . . some folks feel superior and will belittle others solely because they know that they may not have similar framed wallpaper hanging on their walls.
. . . and some folks feel inferior and will belittle others because they know that they have framed wallpaper hanging on their walls.

Snob appeal vs plain folks appeal . . . two sides of the same coin

Last edited:
there is a huge difference between AI doing instructed tasks (written by a programmer) on your printer or some financial webpage and AI deciding on its own what to do. That is what is dangerous is when it becomes self aware and writes its own instructions.
That is one reason that even the inventors of AI are now calling on Congress to pass laws regulating how, why, when AI will be used, before it gets out-of-hand.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom