Aspect 30J, Added 2nd AC Poor Boy Style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

X-Roughneck Strike 3

Added a 2nd AC to my Aspect 30J for under $350. Bought 8000 this BTU Combo Unit on Amazon

Initially I was going to build a Stand or get a milk crate and place it between the Ford Chairs (It Fit), but after realizing that it would involve a continual wrestling match setting it up and blocking the cab area once set up I went plan B.

I know that running a appliance that draw alot of amps using extension cords is not smart. I am going to try and find a 12 gage, 25 ft extension cord so I can drop the cord out the gasket area on the Sofa Living room Slide to Plug in direct to the spare, often not used 20 Amp CKT breaker on Camp Ground Pedestal.

Does anybody who know anything about electrical have any input on a Extension Cord (MAX Length) Type to purchase? I know most of these things warn people about extension cords.

I am wondering if I Could I push it and buy a (12 Gage) 50 ft length? I am thinking 25 ft length max will work and should be long enough for most camp sites in reference to normal Power Pedestal Locations. Definitely dont want the cord heating up too much to become a fire hazard or a circuit breaker tripper?

This upward venting I am not concerned with as the moisture is supposedly vaporized for exit. I will check for condensation within the Reservoir chamber on the AC unit daily as I can just route the vent tube out the slide also.

I got a piece of construction paper and traced the window, and on the plastic mount brackets I cut the lip off the top with a Dremel so it would be the thickness of the Ford Door Glass. This top piece fits into the wondow slot Firm just like the window with fully rolled up. I cut a small piece of Filler plastic which I can insert into the gap, 2nd piece.

I painted the outside Black so it blends in with the ford and the Inside Blue so I can easily figure out what I am doing when I rig it back up.

I was thinking about removing the fantastic Fan in the bedroom and adding a 2nd unit on the roof, but this way is much more cheap!

I had a couple hand operations back in September, and I just can see me wrestling that stuff around as I am not doing real well with hand function levels and what I was hoping for, so I have a plan B use for this AC if I am not happy with the results and will go AC on the Roof if this becomes too much of a pain.

As for me...I love AC and this Aspect 30 J at 32.5 with one factory AC.....Is not good enough to satisfy my need for Freon!

JD

Attachments

• Fits like window rolled up.jpg
    Fits like window rolled up.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Filler Piece for Gap.jpg
    Filler Piece for Gap.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 11
  • easy Quick Connect.jpg
    easy Quick Connect.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Rattle can Krylon Paint.jpg
    Rattle can Krylon Paint.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 11
One problem I see with that unit is it's a single hose design.

All of the air blown out the exhaust hose has to be replaced by more air sucked into the RV through every nook and cranny. Maybe this isn't as much of a problem in a larger stick and brick, but in the smaller space of an RV this can cancel out a lot of the cooling especially on the hottest days.

Better units have two hoses, one to exhaust the hot air, another to supply the replacement air so it's not creating a partial vacuum inside the RV.

Hello The Bar, Cheers, Mark and John thanks... ....I hear the board and Appreciate and value the input.

Lou, I think I have too much draft (?) from the outside around the Rubber Flaps that follow the edge of the cut outs for the 3 Slides to be anywhere close to a Vacuum Situation.

My goal here is not to hit Peak perfomance, but rather to squeeze out a little cool and run this 300 dollar Black and Decker HARD until it Craters. I still may go plan b which is to remove the Fantastic Fan from Bedroom and put a 11,500K on the roof and add that plug to the trunk.

My Hands are more trashed since the operation as I find myself using tools more for grip than ever before. Kids take care of your hands. They are the only pair you got!

I am more concerned with the upward flow of the exhaust and the instructions (Yea I glanced at them, LOL) says hot exhaust turns to mist to blow out the exit tube. Sounds Good on Paper.

This unit also is able to be ran without exhaust as it has a onboard "Exhaust Sweat tank Collector" and you can use the supplied drain hose to do you daily service on what ever moisture was pulled from the air.

I bought this AC with a Plan B in Mind if this does not prove to be good.

Right now it is not the time to Test AC down here. I am starting to get a bit concerned with the Aftermath of this and the Ripple effects. I hear the Refineries have shut. The Stores are empty. Oh well this is a preview of things to come I guess with the Global Warming and our new approach to the way we function as a society. The Weather is more Violent and extreme than ever down here, I will agree. Example: May 2019 Tornado (Normal) Snow in October 2020 (unusual for these parts), Hail Storms in Late June (Unusual). Hopefully this Spring Mother Nature doesn't start up a Hellacious Tornado Season down here on the Edge of Tornado Alley.

Back
Top Bottom